Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Market value for a used Ultimate?

sixesandsevens

A recent WTB for a Standard or Ultimate got me wondering, is there any sense of a market value for a used Ultimate yet?

If I recall there was a gag order on the dollar amount for the first one that changed hands.  Are we lookin' at $2500 here?  $3000?  $350? ;) 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really a gag order that I can recall - it's a free market.  The fact is, not many have changed hands.  Two, maybe Three, and that's it, so it's really tough to estimate a market value.  To my knowledge, none of the sellers (nor buyers) have disclosed the ultimate (see what I did there?) sales price publicly.

I'd say this - Mike isn't taking orders for them now, and may or may not build any more in the future (that's totally his call).  When I last heard prices being kicked around, I think the STARTING price for a base model was north of $3,000, but don't quote me on that.

It's really going to be up to finding a ready and willing buyer who wants one and doesn't want to wait for the possibility that Mike will build others.  You can pick any asking price you want at this point, but I'm not sure where that would be.

^^ ^^ ^^ Agree with Steve above ^^ ^^ ^^

I'm not at all interested in selling mine, but I certainly would ask at least that (or more) for mine.

Yeah, since eBay's completed sales aren't that helpful at this point, I figured I'd ask around here. :)

Regarding the "gag" order thing, I thought I remembered the first owner here with two said that part of the condition of sale for him to get the price he did was to not publicize the price.  I could be remembering wrong tho.

Guess I should have "invested" in one. I honestly didn't think they'd go up in price and am still wondering if it is just "us guys" who will be buying them. If you put it on Ebay I doubt you'd get 3.5k but then again, I didn't see the investment when it was offered. 

There's a line of people (email, social media, etc.) looking to be notified if any come up for sale or if Mike builds any others.

1 hour ago, cynic said:

When I've considered selling mine and had the same question, I saw previous sales / postings here that led me to believe $3500 would be my price. 

I wouldn't sell mine for that, if that is of any help to the OP.  

2 hours ago, sixesandsevens said:

Yeah, since eBay's completed sales aren't that helpful at this point, I figured I'd ask around here. :)

Regarding the "gag" order thing, I thought I remembered the first owner here with two said that part of the condition of sale for him to get the price he did was to not publicize the price.  I could be remembering wrong tho.

Your memory doesn't fail you, sir!  It wasn't a "gag order", just Bubs and I doing a deal.  The price wasn't determined by any market.  Bubs decided exactly what he wanted in a custom Shishkov.  So, he placed that order and I paid him the exact amount for that custom order.  Subsequently, I decided to sell my Hamer Jazzburst Standard.  A fellow was interested and I got cold feet.  So, I offered him the Shishkov at the same price to keep my Hamer (built by Mike too as far as I know).  So, it never really was negotiated at any market price.  That being said, I wouldn't take $3,500 for mine.  If I were to sell it, I'd put the price tag at $4,500.  I know what truly custom guitars cost these days and the Shishkov introductory guitars may not be custom orders, but they are truly worthy of boutique status in price and snob appeal.  I can't think of a more exciting time in guitardom than those from the original run.  Just one home run after another.  It's worse now.  Or better depending on where you sit in line!:D

1 hour ago, The Shark said:

Your memory doesn't fail you, sir!  It wasn't a "gag order", just Bubs and I doing a deal.  The price wasn't determined by any market.  Bubs decided exactly what he wanted in a custom Shishkov.  So, he placed that order and I paid him the exact amount for that custom order.  Subsequently, I decided to sell my Hamer Jazzburst Standard.  A fellow was interested and I got cold feet.  So, I offered him the Shishkov at the same price to keep my Hamer (built by Mike too as far as I know).  So, it never really was negotiated at any market price.  That being said, I wouldn't take $3,500 for mine.  If I were to sell it, I'd put the price tag at $4,500.  I know what truly custom guitars cost these days and the Shishkov introductory guitars may not be custom orders, but they are truly worthy of boutique status in price and snob appeal.  I can't think of a more exciting time in guitardom than those from the original run.  Just one home run after another.  It's worse now.  Or better depending on where you sit in line!:D

And return customer pricing! ;)  I pretty much had every intention of using as a stepping stone to the ultimate goal of getting what I wanted without having to ask the wife for the money. ;) 

44 minutes ago, veatch said:

... which reminds me.  Note to self - i need to sell all my guitars before i die.  I'd hate for the lovely Mrs. Veatch to find out what these are *really* worth...

...or worse, she sells them for whatever cheap price YOU told her you paid for 'em!  :rolleyes::lol:

4 hours ago, veatch said:

Someone would have to offer north of $5k for me to even think about selling 0005. Even then, I probably wouldn't bite.   The guitar is too damn good. 

This applies to 0006 as well.  It is a Dream guitar for me, something I'd never thought I'd have. Plus it is just so badass looking and playing. It ain't going anywhere.

I feel the same way about mine, but always feel like people don't believe me when I mention how great it is.

24 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

I feel the same way about mine, but always feel like people don't believe me when I mention how great it is.

I am not a "Standard" kind of guy. Had a pair of Hamers, one an earlier (heavy!) Korina, the other a "last year" (chambered/lightweight) Custom. Both were great instruments, but not "me".

But at least I am (FINALLY) getting aboard the Shishkov train for a (very) different formula. Now the waiting begins......

I really DO get the part about people not understanding how great the "right guitar" can be. But they do NOT understand UNTIL they get it into their own hands.

Yes! My Newport that I got from MichaelB earlier this year and my Artist are also in that boat.... I have had 3 other Hamers and let them go.....these two and 0006 will always be here.

9 hours ago, veatch said:

... which reminds me.  Note to self - i need to sell all my guitars before i die.  I'd hate for the lovely Mrs. Veatch to find out what these are *really* worth...

Let us know if you figure out how to time that up. ;) 

12 hours ago, veatch said:

Add another verse to that old song......

"Let me Hamers go loose, Bruce, let me Hamers go loose."

"There of no further use, Bruce, so let me Hamers go loose"

Tanning your hide is purely your own call. ;)

6 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Let us know if you figure out how to time that up. ;) 

Simple. I know and understand my luck and fate. I'm the guy that busts his ass all of his life and puts money away for retirement only to die at his desk on his last day of work...

7 minutes ago, veatch said:

Simple. I know and understand my luck and fate. I'm the guy that busts his ass all of his life and puts money away for retirement only to die at his desk on his last day of work...

Ha!  I have the feeling that'll be me as well. My old boss' father died walking to his car after his retirement party at the office on his last day of work after 36 years.

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

Ha!  I have the feeling that'll be me as well. My old boss' father died walking to his car after his retirement party at the office on his last day of work after 36 years.

They'll just wheel me out of the cubicle in the chair I was sitting  and after a day or so put some other poor slob at the computer I was using.  

Archived