Sept. 30 — Janesville, Wis. @ WJJO Sonic Boom Festival**
Oct. 1 — Louisville, Ky. @ Louder Than Life **
Oct. 6 — Rochester, N.Y. @ Main Street Armory
Oct. 7 — Camden, N.J. @ Rock Allegiance **
Oct. 15 — Houston, Texas @ Houston Open Air**
Oct. 21 — Sacramento, Calif. @ Aftershock Festival**
* headline date
** festival

I heard that song and one other on Jim Florentine's Sirius XM show this past weekend.  I love it!  I hope they come out with a full length album soon and that it's as good as what I've heard so far.

On July 25, 2017 at 4:00 PM, princeofdarkness56 said:

Going for that early 70's Led Zeppelin vibe. Can't knock that. Hope they stick to their guns. 

For a second I though they were just lip-synching a Zepplin tune. They do sound great. The only problem is that they sound like they're trying to sound like Zepplin (well, at least with this song). I'll have to check out their other stuff to see if they have their own sound, but it's great to see an actual rock band again. Frankly, it's refreshing to see kids playing real instruments, whether it's rock, folk, funk, or other things that are finally providing relief from decades of rap noise. 

Just caught a couple more videos on YouTube. These guys are really good! My only fear is that the singer's voice would eventually grind on my nerves (which might occur sooner than later). For example, I used to really enjoy Rush back in the day; and then one day, it was like a switch went off in my head and I found I could no longer tolerate the sound of Geddy Lee's voice. In fact, I simply hated it. I couldn't account for why that occurred, because their songs are still great. I just suddenly hated Lee's voice. Go figure. 

17 hours ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

Those are some pretty boys. 

They've got a shot at "making it" because of that. Rock hard for the boys, look pretty for the girls. Kind of like these guys.

I dig the Strypes and I downloaded GVF's EP. I'll listen tonight at the gym when I can really concentrate on it.

5 hours ago, FGJ said:

Just caught a couple more videos on YouTube. These guys are really good! My only fear is that the singer's voice would eventually grind on my nerves (which might occur sooner than later). For example, I used to really enjoy Rush back in the day; and then one day, it was like a switch went off in my head and I found I could no longer tolerate the sound of Geddy Lee's voice. In fact, I simply hated it. I couldn't account for why that occurred, because their songs are still great. I just suddenly hated Lee's voice. Go figure. 

Same for me...except it's Led Zep. Great tunes, when Robert P is singing in his lower register it's good, but when he goes high (which is a lot) I can hardly stand it.

Although I can see why a lot of folks don't like it, Lee's voice doesn't grate on me as much for some reason. There's no rhyme or reason sometimes, either I like it or don't.

Still love to listen to Ged and Plant (I've been especially into Plant's (IMO musically more interesting) solo stuff since getting Spotify), but when you get into that register, neither can hold a candle to Ann Wilson.

Wait! :lol:  (sorry, I amused myself)

ETA: oh, and more recently I think Jay Buchanan has my favorite voice in that strain (no pun intended).  For example, a cover:

Yeah, every once in a while Plant's high register gets tiring, but their overall sound is so good I look past it. The thing with this new band is that their musicians are no Page, Bonham, or Paul Jones, so while they have a great sound, I don't know if the rest of the band is so awesome that I'm willing to overlook annoying vocals. Still, these guys really are good enough that I'd at least listen to them until the times comes that the singer's voice drives me crazy.

They thought the band was good, but the students who like rock music said that there was nothing there that wouldn't keep them from just listening to Led Zeppelin.  The students that don't care for rock said it just sounded like something their Dads would like. 

Rock is just so firmly entrenched as an archetype among the younger folks that you really have to bring in something different.  They know who AC/DC, Van Halen, and Led Zeppelin are, and they love those bands - to the point that they prefer just listening to them rather than looking for new bands.  I bet a lot of us here like some jazz and/or orchestral music, but of that group, how many of us care to listen to new jazz and orchestral music?  Same thing with rock music and the under-30 crowd. 

Interestingly, I had them pitch songs the last day of class some for the experience, and some because it keeps me up to speed on what they like. They are not terribly well versed in 60s and 70s R&B, so new stuff that borrows heavily from that doesn't make them go to older acts because they don't know they exist.  One student played something, and just from the album cover, before they played a note, I told the class it looked like Otis Redding.  When she played the song, this guy pretty much sounded like Otis Redding.  The class loved it, but only two of them knew who Otis Redding was.  

And one of them mentioned that Led Zeppelin is just so much bigger than all of that old R&B that there is no way to grow up and not know who that is, whereas someone like Otis Redding - an artist we all know and probably love as much as Zeppelin - is off their radar.  

As far as what they did like, this was the runaway winner as far as being unknown and blowing the class away, to give you a taste of what they dig:

Ok have listened to the EP several times....

All but one of the songs come across as Zep rip-offs....they are trying too hard to ape Zep instead of using their influence to create their own thing. G&R was clearly influenced by Aerosmith, yet they took it and molded it and created their own thing. That's what these boys need to do, not try to imitate Zep so very much. Zep already did that.

That said, the last song Black Smoke Rising goes in a different direction. The influence is there but so is a modern thing. The Zep influence can be heard particularly on the bass and drums, but not so much on the guitar and vocals on this tune. And you know what? For me it it is the standout song and gives me hope they will find their own voice and rock the hell out of it. I love the singer's pipes but not him imitating Plant's mannerisms and even his exact moans and screams. I could see this band becoming my favorite if they will simply go their own way, honor their influences without aping them, and keep it all rockin'!

The production definitely adds to the Zep thing.  Those ghost kind of wails you can hear in the background make it clear exactly what the goal was here on the production side. 

That being said, I'm not a'gin it. Be interesting to see where they go from here; hopefully not the direction Silverchair went.

8 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

Ok have listened to the EP several times....

All but one of the songs come across as Zep rip-offs....they are trying too hard to ape Zep instead of using their influence to create their own thing. G&R was clearly influenced by Aerosmith, yet they took it and molded it and created their own thing. That's what these boys need to do, not try to imitate Zep so very much. Zep already did that.

That said, the last song Black Smoke Rising goes in a different direction. The influence is there but so is a moder thing. The Zep influence can be heard particularly on the bass and drums, but not so much on the guitar and vocals on this tune. And you know what? For it it is the standout song and gives me hope they will find their own voice and rock the hell out of it. I love the singer's. Live but not him imitating Plant's mannerisms and even his exact moans and screams. I could see this band becoming my favorite if they will simply go their own way, honor their influences without aping them, and keep it all rockin'!

That was my issue -- singer apes EXACT inflections of early Plant.... but the band itself (guitar) is so riff-only derivative of a bad Zep bar band that I don't have high hopes. The talent just ain't there yet.  Maybe it will come -- but I'm not hearing it. I'm also not hearing sensitivity.

No criticism from me. The fact that there is a glimmer of rock being created by young kids is awesome. Who cares if they sound like Zepplin, the direction that pop music has being going in for the last 10 years or so has been down hill...it's time for the kids to fire up the half stacks and rock!

Archived