Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Synth?

velorush

Question

Once we get out of the humidity of the summer, I'm looking forward to breaking down my partscaster and shooting some paint.  I thought that might be a good time to finally engage in my synthesizer fetish.  I am not a keyboard player (though, given a few minutes I can generally 'play guitar' on keys if need be), but I have been fascinated by synthesizers since I was a kid (I grew up in the 70's after all).

Been looking at this:

Analogue monophonic, digital polyphonic, drum machine and sequencer (and yes, a vocoder for Zapp and Roger covers) in one box.  I've read about pretty much all of the contenders at the $500-ish price point and I think this one is likely the most versatile.

Anyone into this sort of thing and have any thoughts?  

7 hours ago, The Shark said:

I've been looking for a Korg PS60 for a while now (for the right price).  After reading this thread, I found this one on eBay.  It was used as a prop for the show Glee.  It was $300 shipped from California.  The seller told me that the gold won't come off without leaving residual glue that won't come off.  I told him I won't be attempting to "get it off"!!!

D1mFZp6.jpg

That is just perfect for the stage!

On 10/17/2017 at 3:48 PM, The Shark said:

I've been looking for a Korg PS60 for a while now (for the right price).  After reading this thread, I found this one on eBay.  It was used as a prop for the show Glee.  It was $300 shipped from California.  The seller told me that the gold won't come off without leaving residual glue that won't come off.  I told him I won't be attempting to "get it off"!!!

D1mFZp6.jpg

It looks cool. 

My two cents based on what I have -

Alesis ION - Analog modeling with gobs of power. Three oscillators! If you like knobs (every function has a knob), this synth is for you!

Alesis Micron / Akai Miniak - All the power of the ION in a compact presets-oriented package.
Built in drums, sequences, songs, etc. FULL SIZE KEYS!
It's a pain in the ass to dial in sounds, because of the limited number of knobs.
(I use a Micron for a Taylor Swift tune in my band.)

Hell, any synth is cool!

In a perfect world, I'd have the time, money and talent to tackle a Synth.com modular rig...

Archived