Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Behringer Stomp Boxes

blackfbiv

If this has been covered somewhere else here please forgive me. (HFCsearch not working for me today)

I know they are NOT gonna stand up to any heavy abuse being plastic and all.

But for $35.00 CDN, how can a rank amatuer like me say 'no'? Most they'll see if the trip from home to church once in a blue moon.

The dude at Mother's really tried to impress upon me how crappy they are.

I can't see how a one-eared bass player with no clue about guitar would ever know the diff. :lol:

For about $115.00 I can grab a Tremelo, chorus AND delay unit.

Any reason I shouldn't step off the ledge here?

Dion

It's the same old dilemma; cheap can be good enough, but buying a good piece of gear for some real $$ is usually not regrettable. I did have a bad experience with their acoustic active di box, a kid I know has one and through the PA it was more like a distortion box.

I'd leave those for the kids. Since you care about your tone buy better quality stuff, even if it's used. Or be really patient, watch craigslist and do a lot of pawn shopping, and pay those prices for good used gear.

I'd go for the similarly priced Danelectro pedals if for no other reason than the Behringers are BRAZEN Boss knockoffs. I know that's Behringer's schtick, but come on, at least make SOME attempt to make appearances that you're kinda sorta doing your own thing.

The one piece of Behringer gear that I've owned (a stereo De Noiser) was good enough for playing out but not for the studio. Their pedals might be OK for what you want to use them for, but I'd put them through their paces at the dealer first.

You might find the sound quality so bad and so noisy that they're useless even to a one eared bassist. :lol:

I've found that most cheap gear, Behringer included, WILL disappoint, even for what you pay for it.

the Digitech is a lovely machine...does the fx for the FOH.

AFA the Behringer (or Danelectro stuff...heck anything cheap) goes... I'm probably just more interested in learning 'how to' use these fx. When/if Hi-Fi becomes an issue I can always move up.

I guess I was hoping that they were some kinda sleeper, or at least that they weren't..utter..crap.

thanks for the input...at least it's not like the bad ole days when any mention of bargain gear (esp. import Hamers) would cause all sorts of derision to be poured out on one's head. :blink:

Btw- anotherfreak...we have no fear about laundering money here in Canada. It's usually done through the Liberal Party of Canada. :lol:

Dion

http://liberalcorruption.com/

Dion, for my nickel (or $1.35 in Canada), I'd check out the little Danelectros first. Yeah, they're both cheap, but I've found a couple of the little Danos that don't see a lot of heavy use and sound pretty good. They've held up just fine getting banged around in the pedalboard or gig bag, even if they don't get stomped on a lot.

The Behringer stuff is notorious for infant mortality, whether it's a stompbox or a 32 input console. I've got a couple of their pieces but they are't things that would put me out of business if they croaked at a gig.

I use their FCB1010(?) MIDI Foot controller. Bought it new for like $125 a couple of years ago - it's been to every bar gig for the last 2 years and so far (knock on wood) no problems whatsoever. Of course, it makes no sound ...just transmits MIDI info but still ...I'm more than happy with it.

FWIW ...

- Bill

Dion, for my nickel (or $1.35 in Canada),

The Behringer stuff is notorious for infant mortality, whether it's a stompbox or a 32 input console. I've got a couple of their pieces but they are't things that would put me out of business if they croaked at a gig.

Ya know the currency exchange jokes are only comical cause they're true...

That's the sorta info I was looking for...'infant mortality' hahaha

I'll research the Danelectros before I do anything...

thanks

Dion

I picked up the $79 dual 15 band EQ. They offer a lot of features for the buck. I use it to shape monitor EQ, so if it died, I'd probably be OK. It did survive its first assignment.... 3 hours at an outdoor show, back in December, in about 30 degree temp.

From what I've read on some of the Pro Sound forums out there, folks seem to think that Behringer borrows designs from other companies. I am not sure about that, but it seems that they don't have a great rep in the pro biz.

So far, my $79 has done allright.

my trombonist buddy is learning bass, he buys a lot of berringer stuff (bass amp, studio bus mixer, etc). he bought one of their bass preamp pedals, i thought "ewww". but, i plugged it in and set it to a tubey growl (ala geezer's tone on sabs 1st album), not too bad for the $$.

YMMV, but i actually played w/ it for 15-20 minutes, so i'm not just poo poo-ing it internet-gear-geek-style w/o having ever tried it.

I've had a couple of their feedback killers for a couple of years and they've done OK for me, but I wouldn't out to lunch on a gig if one of them croaked. OTOH, I've had a couple of friends who've cone through two and tree copies of their mixers in order to get one the worked completely.

They do clone other folks' designs and occasionally get into trouble for it, but it's the build quality that gets them into trouble with the end user.

Archived