Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: 1982 Red Sunburst

A few thoughts:

1__03469.1504993025.1280.1280.JPG?c=2

1. beautiful guitar
  2. never played one, but the early JB's seem to have rabid fans, even on this board
  3. the remaining original pickup (zebra) is the difficult one to replace (if one were of a mind to put it back stock)
  4. having played a Sustainblock with a good bridge-position humbucker split, I'll chime in that it is a splendid sound
  5. the position of the switch is not what I'd have chosen, but Jay or Jeff could fix the hole and put that split over to a push-pull
  6. I think (UN-learned opinion) the price with case as-is seems awfully reasonable given I've seen similarly-priced Specials in equivalent condition

:)

Cream City does get some nice guitars in their store.....................A USA  Hamer Sunburst IS a great guitar to call your own :).

4 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

My Sunburst is the same year and color, and it has become my number one guitar.  It would be nice to hoard a few more like it. 

I've gone down that rabbit hole. I had 6 in the house at one time and none of them were the same. The 77's and 78's were all completely different, neck shapes, body thickness. The 79's-82's that I have owned rarely felt the same. Neck carves, weight, pickups. Best one's were the First 77 that I had and the 82 Sunburst I bought out of Texas. The 82's neck was so thin that I could not play it but that guitar had a sound like no other. 

• 3 months later...

I grabbed this guitar because when I bought my '82 Sunburst (sunburst) new in '82 it was my first electric. I later mongrelized it (multiple pickup swaps, phase inverter mini-switch, etc.), Les Paul carved a nice note on the top with a Dremel tool (no half measures for Les), and the neck is unusually narrow and too tight for me, so I've more or less retired it. I wasn't looking for a collectible to replace it and didn't mind the mini-switch on this one. Anyway, this one actually feels perfect and plays better than my first '82. The only bummer is that the finish on the top is messed up. Looks like it was sprayed with a bad clear coat.

The top of my ‘79 had a finish issue when I got it. Jay de-issued the dull, almost sticky finish and made it look like a 40 year old guitar. He also refretted it. It’s a killer axe.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a poster-sized reproduction of this ad.  Jimmy's Sunburst was red, too, though the B&W photo doesn't show it.

$T2eC16dHJH8E9qSEW9VmBRU2zlhOg!~~60_3.JP

This is as close as I'll ever come.  I know, I know... no sustain block, but GRAVELINS!

QH439iF.jpg

16 hours ago, Rich_S said:

I have a poster-sized reproduction of this ad.  Jimmy's Sunburst was red, too, though the B&W photo doesn't show it.

$T2eC16dHJH8E9qSEW9VmBRU2zlhOg!~~60_3.JP

But you COULD tell, if it was in color!  ;D

One of my all-time favorite Hamer ads...if you could HEAR it, you'd know it was happening after the solo for "Tatooed Love Boys"!

Archived