Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Tom Petty in bad shape

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damnit. I've seen him a few times. Always a great live show, with some really great guitars on stage. Also just an all around great guy from all I've heard.

I'll keep him in my thoughts. This sucks.

TMZ is reporting that he has passed. This just destroys me...first Vegas....now a huge musical hero gone. A sad day.

I am SO glad I just saw him on this tour. If his death is true as reported, may he RIP. May the Vegas victims RIP as well.

My cousin's ex (they're still best friends and share a dog) is Ron Blair, so we've gotten to see Petty and the Heartbreakers many times over the years and meet everybody BUT Tom.  By all accounts, he is a really great guy (despite the demons he's battled), a very generous individual and obviously a musical genius.

Hoping for the best here...

He passed. I'm honestly stunned. My absolute favorite songwriter of the last 40 years. 

I actually got fired from my radio gig for playing his lve "Bootleg, Bootleg" EP that came out around the time of his first album. The asshole program director said Petty was "punk rock" because he was all in black leather on the EP cover. PD said "no punk rock" and fired me. General Manager rehired me the next day....and the first thing I played was the same Tom Petty track I'd gotten fired for. Broke him on the station, so everyone else could play it.

I was so pissed I missed Petty  last month in NYC/Queens. Started to rain and it was outdoors, so I said "next time."

The last great American classic rocker. R.I.P.

Sure left a hell of a catalog of work to live on.

REALLY sad to hear.

I've been a fan since '79.

Always thought his set at Live Aid in '85 was one of the better-sounding presentations, and I really liked "Handle With Care" by the Traveling Wilburys. Curious how the "reflexive memories' based on what's just happened don't focus more on his own career and albums, which I respected, of course. No explanation for such ancillary-history-at-the-forefront rumination.

Certainly did a lot (in a passive manner) to publicize Rickenbacker guitars.

You know someone's been an important musical factor if they can be referenced for having proffered a certain sound, and I remember reviewing the song "Daylight Fading" by Counting Crows in the mid-'90s by opining, IIRC, that the song "outfoxes Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers at their own game" (RE: The Rickenbacker guitar sound).

Archived