Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Restring B12L USA

CharlieMac72

Question

I recently purchased a 1999 Hamer USA B12L

My question is I'd like to restring it, while doing so I like to clean the fret board so, would there be any problems taking all the strings off to clean? i worry about relieving all that tension is the neck might shift causing me to have to readjust the trus rods. Any thoughts? I've never owned a 12 string so i didnt wanna just rip all the strings off without seeking advice from other Hamer Owners. Thanl you,Charlie

8 answers to this question

I've never had problems doing that with any of my Hamer 12s.  The tension isn't off the neck for any significant amount of time, really.

15 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

I've never had problems doing that with any of my Hamer 12s.  The tension isn't off the neck for any significant amount of time, really.

Awesome! Thank you! I believe I purchased the one that was recently posted as a PSA on this site. Actually I had already purchased it before i saw the post. I am new here and I joined after I purchased the B12. I dont know how to reply other than clicking on quote. Thanks for the info.

B12 (2).jpg

B12I.jpg

B123.jpg

Welcome to the group and congratulations on your new 12 string.

Please be cautious while wandering these halls, the place is fraught with somewhat dubious individuals who will try to entice you into buying more guitars than you want/need/can explain to your wife.

But they will all be damn fine guitars!

And you will have a hard  time finding another place on or off The Internet where you can rub elbows with a finer bunch of dubious individuals.

Wear safety goggles and do not let children play in the area where you change strings on your 12 string bass. 

With all the strings off you are likely to hear some cracking noises.  The fretboard can separate from the rest of the neck in a few areas.  Those dual truss rods have as much tension on them as the leaf springs under a large pickup truck.  With all the strings removed, 12 string bass necks have been known to literally explode sending splinters into the faces of many bass players, with many of them permanently blinded.  Tom Petersson left Cheap Trick for a few years in the early 80's to recover from injuries he received by taking all the strings off of a 12 string bass, but back then nobody knew just how dangerous it could be because Hamer had only been making them for a year or two. 

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::lol::rolleyes::rolleyes:^_^:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::ph34r::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

On 10/12/2017 at 1:04 PM, Steve Haynie said:

Wear safety goggles and do not let children play in the area where you change strings on your 12 string bass. 

With all the strings off you are likely to hear some cracking noises.  The fretboard can separate from the rest of the neck in a few areas.  Those dual truss rods have as much tension on them as the leaf springs under a large pickup truck.  With all the strings removed, 12 string bass necks have been known to literally explode sending splinters into the faces of many bass players, with many of them permanently blinded.  Tom Petersson left Cheap Trick for a few years in the early 80's to recover from injuries he received by taking all the strings off of a 12 string bass, but back then nobody knew just how dangerous it could be because Hamer had only been making them for a year or two. 

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::lol::rolleyes::rolleyes:^_^:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::ph34r::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Whew! that's done. No blood! Man you gotta pay attention, you could easily cross the octave strings at the bridge. :unsure:Mission accomplished though!

restring.jpg

On 10/12/2017 at 1:02 AM, cmatthes said:

Agree with the above.

Although I did witness a guy change strings by clipping all 6 guitar strings at once.

Definitely don’t do that 😧😧

Archived