Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Ok what happened here? Amp question

JES1680

Question

So I bought this /13 RSA 31 about a year ago and have been thinking of selling it. So I pulled the chassis to take some gut shots and found. This. 

0ilhkWg.jpg

TtijPel.jpg

zlsI9og.jpg

CsOxzoX.jpg

Quite a bit of corrosion on the chassis itself and the remnants of an amber substance inside and on the transformers and outside on their bell covers. I'd say it got damp based on the rust on the chassis, but no idea about the amber stuff. Any ideas? 

6 answers to this question

I'm guessing that you didn't buy it new?  It looks like it's been living outdoors or in somebody's garage or basement at one time, and it may have gotten hot from being on for extended periods of time.  Maybe the amber stuff is potting from a transformer?  :blink:

Yeah, I'm going to check with my amp guy, the amp is 9 years old, but still I've seen 40 year old Fenders that don't look like this. Amp sounds great though. 

Looks bad. Some areas look like potting, some of the inside looks like an electrolytic cap may have spewed, then again like was mentioned earlier it appears to have lived on a beach for awhile. Doesn't have any house-fire scent to it does it?

One thing that jumps out at me... None of those chassis ground connections look like they are making very good contact.

Yeah, I'm gonna unscrew all the grounds, and sand the chassis to make sure they are ok, but it's silent at idle and no untoward noises, until I start playing that is. 

She's been ridden hard and put away wet, that's for sure. 

The top photo looks like some waxy (potting?) material ran down the inside corner and then pooled.  As if the amp was tipped up on it's side and then got hot.  Maybe sitting out baking in the sun for a while?

The third photo also has an odd diagonal line to the corrosion/contamination as if the chassis was stored tilted and perhaps under water?

I'm wondering if the amp was in a flood of some sort and then put out in the hot sun for while to bake dry before being turned on again.  Presumably it is a steel chassis not aluminum, correct?

Archived