David St.Hubbins/Nigel Tufnel

Roy Clark

Willie Nelson

James Hetfield

Joe Pass

Warren Haynes

Zakk phony motorcycle gang leader

Beck

ok..i could go on but I'm stopping here!

I'm influenced by anybody who plays with conviction no matter what style of music it is.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old bluesguys did it for me, it looked so easy at first sight, now I know better.

Names : Lightnin' Hopkins, T-bone Walker, the three Kings, John lee Hooker and some fifty others...

The guy that turned me around at the age of 13 was Rory Gallagher. I used to dig my dads stuff before I heard "Live in Europe". I bought the album on vinyl (second album I ever bought) and still have it in good condition. This guy spoke to me with his guitar. And I still love it now 35 years later. Class A++++++ stuff. :lol:

The guy that turned me around at the age of 13 was Rory Gallagher. I used to dig my dads stuff before I heard "Live in Europe". I bought the album on vinyl (second album I ever bought) and still have it in good condition. This guy spoke to me with his guitar. And I still love it now 35 years later. Class A++++++ stuff. :lol:

Mike Pinera. Maybe the best live guitarist I ever saw.

i saw mike w/ alice cooper ~81 (jr high).

he did this cool solo using a straight razor's dull side

for VH-esque tapping. then, he flipped it over and hacked

up his strings and chunks of his guitar. metal!

That album turned me on to mandolin too.

I admit I am half a folkie...

I started playing around the same time MTV kicked up(they were playing music then) so a lot of the guys I liked were the guys I was seeing, Neilsen, Giraldo, Schon, Easton, EVH(live Fair Warning clips DAMN!), Gibbons, Setzer, and oddly enough I really dug the surfy,spaghetti western sounding stuff the guy from Adam and the Ants was doing. Spent most of high school with a bong, Exit Stage Left and All The Worlds A Stage with a fair amount of Floyd, Zep, and anything with a rippin' solo awful song or not. After that a healthy diet of the Young brothers, more Setzer, Horton Heat and other greasers from the past and present, The Supersuckers who showed me in the early 90's that rock n'roll could be fun again, and various rootsy twangy, surfy, honky tonkish stuff.

Here's just some of mine:

- Mark Reale (I still haven't figured out how such a good player, who paid as any dues as he has, never made it *big*)

- Ted Nugent

- Billy Gibbons (early stuff)

- Glen Tipton/KK Downing (earlier stuff)

- Earle Johnson/Buddy Caine (Moxy was a big influence on me)

- Alex Lifeson (early)

- Frank Marino

- Robin Trower

- Kim Simmonds

- Ritchie Blackmore

- Roy Buchannan

There you go Dave....Mark Reale!!

I was really into Riot back when they had Narita, Fire Down Under etc. Great rock songs.

There's to many to count -- but I will mention one who rarely gets mentioned:

Relatively few people play guitar

Fewer still play well

Fewer still play well and play fast

Fewer still play well and play fast and solo

Fewer still play well and play fast and solo and sing

Fewer still play well and play fast and solo and sing well

Fewer still play well and play fast and solo and sing well and write

Fewer still play well and play fast and solo and sing well and write well

Fewer still play well and play fast and solo and sing well and write well and produce

And the fewest of all play well play fast and solo and sing well and write well and produce and make money at it!

Mark Knopfler

Tape "Dire Straits" off Ovation Channel (it's on this month) for a look into his songwriting & playing style. The songwriting was the most interesting part of it to me.

I'll second that.

I can't believe nobody's said this guy's name yet.......JEFF BECK!!!!

"Cause we've ended as lover's" still stop's me in my track's today as much as the first time i heard it,so i would have to say Jeff!!!

martin.

Easy, mate....I did.

Sorry Kiz

Rough week on the sick mate.

martin.

Ace Frehley gave me Rock and Roll, and the "I can do that!" rush that made me want to play.

Rush, both Geddy and Alex, gave me the "one day, I'll be doing THAT!" excitment.

The guys in Judas Priest gave me a musical direction to where I wanted to go.

Gary Moore and Micheal Schenker inspired me to feel, and play what suits.

Queensryche inpired me with technique and the tone I wanted. I still get a hard on with the tone on Empire.

(my mom was a particular fan of "The Snake").

Insert your own mother joke here, LOL :blink::lol:

I was wondering when a comment Like that would show up; I'm dissapointed that it took so long :blink:

-Austin

Re: Mark Knopfler -- the Dire Straits show I'm talking about is on tonight (Sat. Jan 28) on Ovation Channel, 9-10 pm EST re-run 1-2 am (10 pm in the Pacific). Has some great footage of his hand-work.

Well.....what really inspired me to play in the beginning was a Girl I had a crush on in junior high...hehe....but after that I found you can get alot of girls playing guitar so...she fell by the wayside... :P

Sorry Kiz

Rough week on the sick mate.

martin.

That's ok - I was just messing with you.

However, next time you will recieve a 10 yard penalty for "Excessive Formatting," as Nathan once ruled.

There are a ton on record. But these are the guys that I saw live that really blew my mind:

Rock:

Eddie Van Hallen (at a backyard party around 1977)

Lanny Cordola (local neighborhood shedder who made it with Guiffria, House of Lords, Bad Religion and Magdalen)

Micheal Schenker with UFO

Niel Geraldo from Pat Benetar

Angus Young

Mark Knoffler

Blues:

Junior Watson (the best west coast jump blues player alive!)

Albert King (he could make the guitar scream.)

Johny Copeland (not to popular Texas bluseman but his live shows were outstanding.)

John Lee Hooker. (he could make nothing sound great and carry a grove like nobody before or after him.)

Archived