Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Poll: Most effective mods to improve Bigsby return-to-pitch accuracy?

triodecr

Most effective mods to improve Bigsby return-to-pitch accuracy  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Question

14 answers to this question

Oooooh, we don’t do polls often. I put other cause the Bigsby on my Newport (first Bigsby) stayed in tune pretty good when I got it, but when I added a Reverend Soft Spring it took it to the next leve both tuning-wise and playing-wise.

+1 on the 3-in-1 on the contact points....especially the bridge cause it prevents corrosion on the string where it crosses the saddle as well as lubricating it.

Two Hamer's with Bigsbys. No tuning problems unless i molest that sucker pretty badly. Stays in tune better than a Fender trem.

All of the above.  Locking tuners help, but I daresay that having a nut cut for tremolo use and with extra lubrication is better. Also, make sure the bigby itself is properly lubricated. It seems like the tension bar is the cause of a lot of issues if it does not rotate smoothly. Another issue is the if you bend one string, the tension bar doesn't roll, so sometimes that string can go out of tune.

I mean, I have a bigsby, I like something about it, but I would not get one again.

2 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

All of the above.  Locking tuners help, but I daresay that having a nut cut for tremolo use and with extra lubrication is better. Also, make sure the bigby itself is properly lubricated. It seems like the tension bar is the cause of a lot of issues if it does not rotate smoothly. Another issue is the if you bend one string, the tension bar doesn't roll, so sometimes that string can go out of tune.

I mean, I have a bigsby, I like something about it, but I would not get one again.

I'll probably add locking tuners at some point because it's my M.O.

I don't know the history of the guitar as I got it a few days ago so it'll be worth my time to oil the bearings well.

I’m happy with a roller bridge. A nylon nut makes it itchy glitchy at the top end too.

I didn't vote, but cheated so I could see the results.  I own a Monaco and a MIII which don't get played much but they both have Bigsby's.  I don't use the Bigsby and I don't have tuning issues.  However I've been tempted in the past to try a Compton Bridge.  Does anyone have experience with a Compton Bridge?  http://www.comptonbridges.com/home  It makes logical sense as there would be less binding on the T.O.M. bridge piece.

So I ordered a Callaham front roller and it doesn't fit.  Yep, I have a US made B5. The Callaham shaft is larger than the stock shaft by a small amount but enough that it won't fit without drilling the B5 frame.  The roller is larger in diameter than the stock roller and it hits on the frame when I try to insert it in place. It's close enough that I can probably force it in but then the roller won't roll.  The B5's casting and machining isn't impressive so I'm guessing their machining tolerances are causing my issues.  I emailed Callaham so we'll see if they confirm my suspicions.  Sigh... I was looking forward to playing this guit tonight....

I happened to find my needle file set and fine flat file last night (we moved and haven't fully unpacked) so I set to work.

This afternoon I received Callaham's reply and I'm impressed.  A good company for sure.

"You can run a 3/16 drill thru the hole for the axel to clean out the burr left by the Bigsby axel.  If the horseshoe is twisted or warped that can cause a problem.  We can shorten the front roller if needed.  You can even send the Bigsby to us and we will custom fit it.  You just pay return shipping.  But warped or twisted horseshoes is a common problem."

Archived