Hamer Fan Club Message Center

So who snagged the $860 4-digit Standard bass?

Damn. That was a good deal. Damn. I would love that, but I am not really a bassist, except for when I record....but I want it anyway.

35 minutes ago, tommy p said:

I'm sorry to see it go for so cheap, but I'm glad that Smiley didn't get to rip anyone off.

Well he asks a high dollar for everything, then all of a sudden he throws some "Chum" in the water. Smell fishy, I don't like the guy and wouldn't touch anything he has FS. EVER

I'm with you guys on the seller and his rep. But not everyone is as enlightened as this group is. So why do you think it went so cheap? I would think that being on ebay in an auction format would have brought a higher price. Is there something obvious I'm missing? Maybe the required overnight shipping which will probably add 3 bills to the price. But even then, it seems low. His e-bay feedback profile looks good, so that shouldn't have turned potential buyers off. Maybe just bad timing.

1 hour ago, currypowder said:

I'm with you guys on the seller and his rep. But not everyone is as enlightened as this group is. So why do you think it went so cheap? I would think that being on ebay in an auction format would have brought a higher price. Is there something obvious I'm missing? Maybe the required overnight shipping which will probably add 3 bills to the price. But even then, it seems low. His e-bay feedback profile looks good, so that shouldn't have turned potential buyers off. Maybe just bad timing.

My opinion:  bad time of year for many, as discretionary income is funnelling into the holidays... and I can't help but think about the fact that this one is sorta spec'd out like a Blitz (same head too) - without the benefit (IMO) of a P pickup.  I've used J/J configs to good effect, but I do know folks that avoid them.

Really cool bass - no doubt there - but when you can get something visually and functionally similar in a $800-1k Blitz, Im not too suprised about the sale price.  Not sure the 4-digit rarity factor alone would resonate with most folks outside of this place.

6 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Well he asks a high dollar for everything, then all of a sudden he throws some "Chum" in the water. Smell fishy, I don't like the guy and wouldn't touch anything he has FS. EVER

THIS  ^^^^^^^

I'm willing to bet Brent bought it.

Just now, cmatthes said:

I'm willing to bet Brent bought it.

Now that is funny!:lol: But you may very well be right!

That was just about what it was bought for when it first showed up hanging at a dealer around five or six years ago, I think.

I think its "looking like a Blitz" was the big downside.

Most people would think it was a Blitz that someone was trying to hawk as a Standard and pull a fast one.

Funny, I tried to buy that bass a couple times. Didn't see it was relisted cheap.

Just because someone won an auction with a low bid does not mean that the seller will have to accept it.  There have been other eBay items that sold for "good deal" prices that got negated because the seller noticed some undisclosed damage when packing the item. 

Archived