Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Whatsit called? Velocity or attack controlled gain?

Uncle Thor's Hamer

Question

I'm trying to track down something from a vague memory.  An effect which uses attack to set the gain. Sort of the opposite of compression, though the overall loudness doesn't increase.  And, sort of like touch-sensitivity in a tube amp but more so.  If you play gently the sound is clean, but dig in at all and the distortion is cranked up.

What is the official or common name for this effect?

10 answers to this question

Aural exciter?  I read "opposite of compression" and this was the first thing that came to mind. I don't know if an AE will do exactly what you're describing, but I'll throw it out there. I know I had an Aphex rackmount AE probably 25 years ago that was nice for hi-fi'ing the tone of my Boogie half stack when used at non-arena volumes.

I don't know if it was available on some Boss effect otherwise, but on the GT-100 on the amp settings, you can set the gain to be touch sensitive like you're saying, and you play softly, it's one amp, then play hard and it's the other one.  

That was an interesting wander off into harmonic or aural exciters.  Cool how they work, but not what I was looking for.  Well, now I'm looking for one!

Scott, yeah that's what it is.  I never had a GT-100 but it was on a digital effects box now that you mention it.  Not a stomp box, which is what I hoping might be out there.  Sort of an expander > distortion > compressor combination. 

7 hours ago, Uncle Thor's Hamer said:

Scott, yeah that's what it is.  I never had a GT-100 but it was on a digital effects box now that you mention it.  Not a stomp box, which is what I hoping might be out there.  Sort of an expander > distortion > compressor combination. 

Hmm, on the GT-100, it's part of the channel switching function when writing a patch.  They don't really refer to it as an effect name.  

On 6.12.2017 at 6:22 AM, Uncle Thor's Hamer said:

sort of like touch-sensitivity in a tube am

My first thought was, does it need an effect to achieve what you described on a tube amp.

9 hours ago, scottcald said:

True.  Volume control and dynamics will work with the correct amount of gain.  

My latest interest is quiet amps now that I live in a condo rather than a house with a large yard.  Currently I'm using a Weber attenuator with my Super Champ XD amp, which is doing the job nicely.  Then the thought came up was there a way to skin this cat without running an amp hot?

Archived