Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What pots would you buy to replace Hamer pots?

Disturber

Question

Looking at a Hamer that someone replaced all the electronics and put in EMG's. If I was to buy it I'd like to restore it as good as I can.

What pots would be closest (and best) compared to the OEM Hamer pots? I guess NOS Hamer pots are impossible to find, right?

6 answers to this question

I'd bet a pound to a penny that CTS vintage are close! That said, I prefer the sweep on Bourns audio taper pots myself nowadays after being a CTS Vintage (G450) user for many years...

10 hours ago, murkat said:

For that Hamer / Gibson 500k CTS replacement, I reach for these and keep them well in  stock.

Good taper, quick spin, top notch build.

http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-parts/Potentiometers_x/Mojotone-Vintage-Taper-CTS-500K-Short-Split-Shaft-Guitar-Potentiometer

Those ^^ are more or less CTS 'G450 Vintage' pots...

On 12/11/2017 at 12:17 PM, murkat said:

For that Hamer / Gibson 500k CTS replacement, I reach for these and keep them well in  stock.

Good taper, quick spin, top notch build.

http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-parts/Potentiometers_x/Mojotone-Vintage-Taper-CTS-500K-Short-Split-Shaft-Guitar-Potentiometer

Thanks for sharing this information, Murkat. Would these pots have the special taper to make the guitar pickups out of phase like the original Hamer pots or would the potentiometer have to be modified to do such a thing?

Guitar George

you would have to "flip" a magnet in one of the pickups in order to the phase trick, pots have nothing to do with that,

the taper of the pots are about as close to what I could find to Hamer and 3rd gen GCS 500k pots.

They work very well, the taper will be good to yield quality out of phase blending.

They worked well with the Joe Perry Bone Yard LP's.

Archived