Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Korina Artist?

Menehune

Ever since seeing a korina Artist, I've been jonesing for one. What do they sound like acoustically compared to an ES-335? How does the korina Artist differ soundwise and weightwise from the mahogany version? And lastly, what's a fair price for a mint or excellent korina Artist now?

Thanks for any playing impressions and other edumaction you can impart, folks.

Plugged in and acoustically, they sound different than a 335. A 335 is a little boomier, woolier, I don't know what descriptor works. Just different.

I had an Artist Korina with P90s. Having sold it, I really regret that I did. That and a Newport. Two Hamers I must re-acquire! 

No idea for fair price now, but I think I both bought and sold mine 2 years ago for $1100 USD. I've seen them higher since up to $1900. I'd suggest between 1300 and 1600. Pure speculation. 

You might also consider such as a "smaller" Gibson, ES-339 or the like. Unless what you really want is that "bigger" 335 sound.

I really like the Collings I-35LC, but that puts you in  a very different price range. It would also give you some choice as to sound, as available with Lollar Low-Winds and Thro-Baks,

^^^

This.

I've had a 335, Newport, Korina and hawg Artists, and multiple Studios.  If you line them up from "solid body sounding" to that woody ES335 "sound", it wouldn't surprise you:

• Studio
  • Artist
  • Newport
  • ES-335

Bottom line, if you want the "335 sound", get a 335.  Artists are cool, but they are not a 335.  Conversely, if you like an Artist, don't get a 335.    The Newport is somewhere in between sound wise, but still not a 335.

FWIW - i still have the Newport and korina Artist.  I would have kept the 335, but the neck was so odd shaped, it was practically flat on the back.  Sounded great, but i just didn't bond with it.

Of course, my normal advice is get one of each.  Then sell what you don't want to keep.  :) It's fun spending other people's money.  :)

Hope that helps.

ETA: A little pron is needed for this thread...

Burst-001.jpg

8 hours ago, django49 said:

You might also consider such as a "smaller" Gibson, ES-339 or the like. Unless what you really want is that "bigger" 335 sound.

I really like the Collings I-35LC, but that puts you in  a very different price range. It would also give you some choice as to sound, as available with Lollar Low-Winds and Thro-Baks,

I don't really want the 335's sound, but it's the only personal aural reference I have for a semi-hollowbody electric. That Collings I-35LC is a great-looking guitar, especially with that "side-part" headstock top.

7 hours ago, veatch said:

^^^

This.

I've had a 335, Newport, Korina and hawg Artists, and multiple Studios.  If you line them up from "solid body sounding" to that woody ES335 "sound", it wouldn't surprise you:

• Studio
  • Artist
  • Newport
  • ES-335

Bottom line, if you want the "335 sound", get a 335.  Artists are cool, but they are not a 335.  Conversely, if you like an Artist, don't get a 335.    The Newport is somewhere in between sound wise, but still not a 335.

FWIW - i still have the Newport and korina Artist.  I would have kept the 335, but the neck was so odd shaped, it was practically flat on the back.  Sounded great, but i just didn't bond with it.

Of course, my normal advice is get one of each.  Then sell what you don't want to keep.  :) It's fun spending other people's money.  :)

Hope that helps.

ETA: A little pron is needed for this thread...

Burst-001.jpg

Thanks a whole bunch, suggesting I buy the Artist AND a Newport. You're not helping my GAS, Veatch.

22 hours ago, Menehune said:

Thanks a whole bunch, suggesting I buy the Artist AND a Newport. You're not helping my GAS, Veatch.

Veatch knows of what he speaks. Trust his guidance.

That's what the HFC is all about.  We are GAS Enablers.  Its what we do best!

Do what you love.  Love what you do.  

Archived