Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Compensation on neck break at Hamer heel. What you think???

Hamer Dave

Question

Hey guys!!

Got this early Sunburst. Seller disclosed body was busted/repaired, due to jealous girlfriend but NO break to the neck. I got it and can see the heel was also repaired, thus broken along with body. Section of binding in the area replaced (incorrect material), one non-original tuner, and though repair respray finish was pretty good, they used BROWN, instead of the proper red in the burst. Why?!!!! None of these were disclosed. I should also mention the neck angle now, isn’t what it should be, which I believe is due to the repair taking a way a bit of original back angle. Upper frets will also need leveling. Saddles can’t go any lower and action is just ok. Ideally, I’d like it a bit lower. He admits he doesn’t know much and wants to make good. I’d like to keep the guitar, but feel it should be valued less due to the mentioned items. He asked what I think is fair. Cost was close to $1500. What do you all think would be a fair partial refund amount? I’ve an amount in my head, but wonder if too low? Let me know what you’d ask. Thanks!

p.s. will try to include photos

73637768-1C10-459A-A627-6E6A5198A67F.jpeg

12 answers to this question

A neck reset that involves possible heel and/or body pocket angle-corrective woodwork, plus at least spot binding replacement, plus a proper refin, plus fretwork?

Is a simple full refund and you returning the guitar an option?

13 minutes ago, Jeff R said:

A neck reset that involves possible heel and/or body pocket angle-corrective woodwork, plus at least spot binding replacement, plus a proper refin, plus fretwork?

Is a simple full refund and you returning the guitar an option?

Yeah Jeff, I know that’s a heck of a lot. Listing mentions no refunds, and I’d actually like to keep it. Not a lot of these. Get the upper frets leveled, and accept it as it is. However, I understand the value is diminished. So, what amount of reduced value is there?

depends on the break. need a pic of the heal to body around the backside, sides, the tongue shot inside the pup cavity.

just from the one pic, it looks botched, and string height looks high, rickenbacker high.

do a simple test as well to see if the "repair" is valid before taking all down...

plug the guitar in, volume till you here the strummed strings.

set guitar on work bench, laying body on bench, raise the neck with left hand, strum, "bob" the headstock up and down while strings are sounding.

If you get a decent, "concerned" pitch warble... not good. you could do another guitar for sound/ warble reference.

Either way, it is your money. you deserve what you tolerate.

To fix it right is going to be expensive (been down that rabbit hole). With all the problems you've listed, getting at least 1/2 your money back is not unreasonable (but still won't be enough). Sorry to hear of your bad luck. That sucks.

If late '70's/early'80's Sunbursts are getting to be THAT precious, I'm surprised there isn't a market for a Special to Sunburst conversion.  It might take less work and money in the long run, too.  Other than the eye candy aspect and binding for those who must have binding, what's the difference between the two?

4 hours ago, Hamer Dave said:

What do you all think would be a fair partial refund amount? I’ve an amount in my head, but wonder if too low?

A fair offer would be half the number in your head.  Don't discount your time and effort in arranging for repairs, and expect repairs to all be worst case scenario.  Otherwise you're just plain letting the seller off the hook.

Dave,  if the neck was not disclosed,  I think you should return it.  I have had a couple instances where I

negotiated an adjustment for undisclosed issues and opted for an adjustment rather than ship back...

took it in the shorts both times.     

I also don't think weasely people should be let off the hook

Ok thanks everyone. I should be more concerned. Jay, I couldn’t upload more photos, getting error msg ‘problem processing uploaded photo’.  I’ll look inside, and try that test. I know what your referring. I think I saw Joe Walsh(?) explain his using the same test when choosing guitars. Don’t want a wet noodle for a neck. 

The repair was not done very well or professionally at all.  Ergo the repair reduces the value of the guitar along with the damage it sustained.  I would not keep that guitar.  However, in my opinion the dollar value of the damage is at least 50% of the guitar.  Despite the undamaged value and the niche collectible status, I would not see the guitar being worth more than $500 as-is.  The poor repair job suggests a lot of risk for further problems down the road, resulting in a worthless guitar.

Were it me, I'd insist on a full refund including shipping.  Not as advertised!

22 hours ago, murkat said:

your new photo friend is..... https://imgur.com/

the warble trick is a good indicator for sure.

Downloaded the app. Seems To be for Facebook etc.  How’s it help me post photos here? Think would help to compress the file size? Trying to do a 1.8mb photo upload, and errors. 

Archived