Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Attenuators suck. Why not volume pedal??

MTM105

14 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

Your correct. I've heard of those treble bleed installs but while treble is preserved, from my experience, there's no way to preserve all the tonal dynamics inherent in the full-on signal. Once I understood that I'm going to lose some degree of gain and sensitivity dynamics, I looked at other ways to drop the volume without losing quite as much of those desired characteristics. 

Same, but I’m still trying to work the vol knob. See what all the fuss is about ;)

1 hour ago, Vic Croll (Concrete Sox) said:

That's why I wire 'vintage / 50s' style or install 'treble bleed' kits (a resistor + a cap) on the vol pot that stops the treble loss when reducing volume...

1 hour ago, diablo175 said:

Your correct. I've heard of those treble bleed installs but while treble is preserved, from my experience, there's no way to preserve all the tonal dynamics inherent in the full-on signal. Once I understood that I'm going to lose some degree of gain and sensitivity dynamics, I looked at other ways to drop the volume without losing quite as much of those desired characteristics. 

IMHO, treble bleeds done not sound as natural as using a pot with a better taper. Trail and Error is the only way, that is why I go through so much stuff. I just don't believe in leaving any stones unturned. Remember we are all trying to achieve what we "THINK" we want. You will get to your own destination you own way. 

4 hours ago, Sugartune said:

Same, but I’m still trying to work the vol knob. See what all the fuss is about ;)

Get the amp to a level where you are moving air. Find the tonal sweet spot and work it from there. You will find that you (and the amp) are reacting more to the subtle and not so subtle nuances and dynamics. It's a great place to hang out in.

If you like to experiment, you can also replace the volume pot (typically audio taper) with a linear taper. While it will seem to not cut the volume much, it will affect how hard you're hitting the input. Sort of like a 'drive' control, if you will. Roll it back and the sound will clean up without volume seeming to go down (much), roll it up and it gets grittier. When it does cut volume though, it is sudden and towards the bottom of the travel.

On 12/31/2017 at 5:44 PM, murkat said:

I tried it. I did not like it. It works for you and that is awesome.

Some stuff works for some, then some less... :ph34r:

But... that PS2 with that Brixon.... ;)    ohmy :)

Nothing makes me sound any better than shit. 

Archived