Hamer Fan Club Message Center

If You Thought Having Your 'Smart Speaker' Hacked Was Bad...

crunchee

More good news on the technology front:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/scientists-warn-we-may-be-creating-a-digital-dark-age/ar-BBHKb6t

So, name yer poison...vinyl, or tape?  I knew there was a reason that I didn't trust downloads, besides the fact that I can't hold computer data downloads in my hands, if it's not otherwise on some kind of replayable physical format besides 1s and 0s.

A vinyl record does not need electricity.  Early record players had those big cones attached to the needle arms.  Microfilm works well, although it can get cumbersome when you want files of every publication out there. 

Sometimes analog signals and old technology are just fine.  Some of us actually play instruments instead of just listening to recordings.  We will all be fine. 

I'm also fine with all of our downloaded music, movies, and silly stupid fucking Facebook selfies disappearing into the ether.
“We may [one day] know less about the early 21st century than we do about the early 20th century,” says Rick West, who manages data at Google.
You'd be hard-pressed to find something worth remembering from the past 18 years.
Real Housewives? The Bachelor? NFL Touchdown celebrations?
It would serve a society based on "Hey! Look at MEEEE!!" right if it just got accidentally deleted.

3 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

A vinyl record does not need electricity.  Early record players had those big cones attached to the needle arms.  Microfilm works well, although it can get cumbersome when you want files of every publication out there. 

Sometimes analog signals and old technology are just fine.  Some of us actually play instruments instead of just listening to recordings.  We will all be fine. 

I remember the big 'Millenium' scare of 1999...I was stationed in Japan working at a U.S. Navy Hospital, and we weren't nearly as computerized data-wise as things are now (not just the military, but everywhere), not even close.  The Powers-That-Be started stockpiling and pulling out of storage every blank hard-copy paper military form that was available, that USED to be in common use in Clinics,  Inpatient Units, and Admin areas, in case whatever computerized system we used for some things like labs (patient charts were still on paper back then anyway) crashed when everything went to a Jan.1, 2000 date.  Of course, the 'crash' never happened, but being prepared and getting ready sure was a big PITA in the meantime.

I haven't verified this, but a friend said he was at a symposium on data storage where members of the mormon church talked about micro-engraving their genealogical records on stainless steel disks. 

The reasoning was that magnifying lenses were the only tech that would need to be rediscovered to retrieve the information if some apocalyptic event ensued.  Admittedly it assumes that the humans retained the knowledge of written language too, but still.  ;)

Archaeologists often use ancient trash dumps to learn about the past.  Discarded pottery is an example.  What gets discovered in our landfills might be embarrassing, so it might be good that we are all going to be gone by then. 

Centuries from now all the plastic bottles and every other type of plastic supposedly will have broken down and finally not be a piece of trash.  That means vinyl will be gone unless people start preserving the music in the same way film preservation has become a mission for a small number of archivists.  The work of The Dixie Dregs might disappear while a future music archivist works to preserve Madonna albums because they were supposed to be popular.  That is what will represent our culture in the future.  Somehow, someone is going to make sure Yoko Ono's "musical" output is preserved because she attached herself to The Beatles. 

2 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Somehow, someone is going to make sure Yoko Ono's "musical" output is preserved because she attached herself to The Beatles. 

Easily the scariest point made in this thread or the article it references.   

All the more reason to delete it all.  

Archived