Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Alice in Chains Live Road Trip

October, 2016 my wife and I headed north so she could see the leaves change. She has never seen it. This year, October, 2017 my son went with me while Mrs. Ting Ho held the fort. My son and I hang out a lot in the evenings outside grilling and listening to music. We were doing this a few days before our departure when he discovered, on this thing called Apple Music, an album by AIC I didn't know existed called simply, "Live." We both immediately fell in love with the album. I ran in side and got on Amazon and ordered it and Prime had it here the day before our departure. I surprised Brandon with it when we were packed and heading out the drive. We listened to it nonstop all the way to NY and back. And I'm still listening to it. This is a must for any AIC fan. But if you are a fan you probably already know about this set of recordings. 2 of the songs feature the late Michael Star. "Lead the Freak" is one and I can't recall the other at the moment. 

Lane was on fire in each track. No searching for notes. No voice cracking. And his voice was strong like a chainsaw. You can here in this example of "Rooster" how spot on he was. Oddly enough, "Rooster" was not available for listening on Apple Music. On a side note, in case you are unaware, "Rooster" was written by Cantrell about his father who is a Vietnam vet. 

But the real gem on this album in my opinion is "Angry Chair / Man in the Box" from '93. Again, Lane's vocals were spot on especially in "Man in the Box." Lane's vocals are raw and perfect and Cantrell's guitar is like a jet engine. I love the transition between the two songs. A lot of drive and gets me doing the Chimpanzee every time. "Jesus Christ, (Deny your Maker)."

Unfortunately, these YouTube videos are compressed horribly. The album is recorded very well. 

That live album is among a handful of AIC discs that stay in heavy rotation in my shop - one of my favorite bands of all time.

Archived