Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I like it when a band makes a cover their own.

8 minutes ago, cynic said:

Sekulow's day job is really taking off.

I've never heard of these guys, at least by their names. I guess one guy is from Head East. Didn't realize they were pros when I posted. 

Hmm.  I don't see this as making it their own so much as a great reproduction of the track.  

To me, an artist making a song their own is Johnny Cash with "Hurt".   Trent Reznor doesn't even consider that his song anymore.  

1 hour ago, scottcald said:

Hmm.  I don't see this as making it their own so much as a great reproduction of the track.  

To me, an artist making a song their own is Johnny Cash with "Hurt".   Trent Reznor doesn't even consider that his song anymore.  

Yes, which is why I said, "But there are exceptions," at the top. This was an exception to my rule as you said, it was a great effort at exacting the original. 

37 minutes ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

Yes, which is why I said, "But there are exceptions," at the top. This was an exception to my rule as you said, it was a great effort at exacting the original. 

It's what I get for not fully reading.  Sheesh.

19 minutes ago, tommy p said:

Damn, those guys are good but conga/acoustic man must not realize playing music is enjoyable.  He looks like he's never had a minute's fun in his life.

That maybe because of this?

3 hours ago, scottcald said:

Still prefer the original myself.  It's easier for me to relate to the emotions surrounding Trent's 20s-nihilism than Cash's melancholy recollecting, though I do remember being quite taken by it when it first came out. 

8 hours ago, scottcald said:

4 hours ago, LucSulla said:

Still prefer the original myself.  It's easier for me to relate to the emotions surrounding Trent's 20s-nihilism than Cash's melancholy recollecting, though I do remember being quite taken by it when it first came out. 

Sad Kermit FTW

I never understand doing a cover exactly like the original....even when playing in bar bands, I wouldn’t play a cover exact. For ME, there’s no point in that.

That said, they did it well.

I much prefer what Van Halen did with You Really Got Me and Ice Cream Man....and what Zep did with You Shook Me and Nobody’s Fault But Mine....they made the songs their own and utterly transformed them. In fact, they may have made them even BETTER. That’s the way to do a cover. For MY tastes anyway....and +1 on Nazareth transforming covers too.

11 hours ago, cynic said:

The conga/acoustic player (and bands' namesake) is among the team of lawyers representing our president.

And he certainly does nothing in that video to convince us he is leaving that gig for a music career. The pros sound pretty good.

Archived