Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Cheap Trick 1977 Don Kersherner's Rock Concert

It's all there  on display isn't it - that rock/pop/punk vibe.  Forgot how relentless Bun E Carlos drums was ; and Robin's rhythm guitar playing gave Rick the room for his stage/playing antics.

Pretty cool.  Thanks for sharing.

Still at it...

11 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Some of the ‘80s albums were great too I think! The One in One album was real fun to me.

In the 90s too and... I have followed them over the decades and always wondered why they had been reduceded to Live At Budokan. Young Nielsen son injected new drive to the band. The albums with him sound fresher then ever. 

Their  newest release is very good on its own and is a solid fit in their long catalogue of recordings. I would add Deep Purple and Alice Coopers 2017 releases to that list. Three groups that weren’t just living off past glories or trying to cash in on present trends but instead put out music true to their roots.  

41 minutes ago, princeofdarkness56 said:

Their  newest release is very good on its own and is a solid fit in their long catalogue of recordings. I would add Deep Purple and Alice Coopers 2017 releases to that list. Three groups that weren’t just living off past glories or trying to cash in on present trends but instead put out music true to their roots.  

In that context, Deep Purple's last two albums are outstanding, very modern but classic.

The first Cheap Trick album was possibly more punk than the Sex Pistols' album.  Cheap Trick was defiling the skinny tie image before it really took off.  Rick was rarely serious with an interviewer.  Most of all, those guys just like playing.  Even when bands were no longer selling out stadiums Cheap Trick just liked playing. 

What a great band that has drifted in and around my life. So many cool memories involving them or some aspect of them. Enormous influence on my love of music and guitars. I found them about the time this was happening. Thanks for the reminder that is on Youtube.

Rick has channeled his love of music with the others in and around the band to give us a synthesis of that to be what is Cheap trick's music. His love of The Beatles and others like The Move is evident in their songs. I have never spoken to him without a sharp witted reply coming my way. Sometimes biting given what I said. However, he has also been most gracious on occasion and a man of many sides. A personal tour through some drawers of buttons and memorabilia at Rick's Picks will always be a good one on replay.

2 hours ago, gorch said:

In that context, Deep Purple's last two albums are outstanding, very modern but classic.

Might have something to do with Bob Ezrin producing both of those albums. He can be a little heavy handed at times but when he’s on he can help take a band to the next level.  

4 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

I can hear Beatles inspiration in many of their songs. I like the arrangements in “Voices”, and at the end of “Gonna Raise Hell.” In “Voices”, it is almost ELO-“esque” in the way Jeff Lynn is inspired by the Beatles. Kind of sounds like ELO too!

I loved Zander's voice in Gonna Raise Hell. And it used to send chills when he would call out, "Mother." Not sure how that actually fit in the song but it was extreme. At least for a 17 year-old kid.

They were such an enormous influence.....Need Your Love has always been my fave with Clock Strikes Ten, Lookout, Come on, Come On and Big Eyes not far behind....yeah it is safe to say that Budokan had a huge impact on a 16 year old in lower slower Delaware....

I remember seeing that Don Kirshner's performance when it first aired. Man, I'm old.

The first time I saw Cheap Trick in person was in June, 1979. My friends and I were right down front.

During Rick's "three guitars at the same time" bit, one of the guitars was a yellow Sunburst with his face painted on the back (seen here in this picture I found online).

Rick N 3 Guitars_1.jpg

When he took it off, he placed it upright on that little three-step platform he often stands on at the front of the stage, holding it steady with one hand on top of the headstock.

Then, with an expression of mock horror on his face, he stepped away and threw both hands in the air.

The guitar teetered there for a half a second or so, then fell -- KA-CHUNG KA-CHUNG KA-CHUNG -- down the steps. I screamed out "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" but I don't really remember what happened next. I assume his tech scooped it up and hurried it offstage, but I couldn't tell if it was damaged or not.

Does anybody know anything about that guitar or whatever happened to it? Other than this one picture (which, again, isn't mine), I've never been able to find anything about it.

Seen him do that in Minneapolis July of '79 and in Cincy Sept. '79. At both shows I cringed and watched his roadie pul it back quickly. I have a bootleg radio show from June of '79 in Chicago and you can hear it just as you posted.  He used these three in '81 in LaCrosse, Wn. but I think the drop down the stairs bit was gone by then.

ct811.jpg

I've seen him do something similar a few times over the last few decades.  Not at every show, but certainly when things are cruising along and he's looking for an audience reaction (or he's pissed at his tech), he stands the guitar up and walks away.

I specifically recall him doing that in '98 with a Gold Sparkle H. Kid's LK Vee, and later with some oddball custom LP style guitar.  The Vee never hit the deck...the other one did.

3 hours ago, cmatthes said:

I've seen him do something similar a few times over the last few decades.  Not at every show, but certainly when things are cruising along and he's looking for an audience reaction (or he's pissed at his tech), he stands the guitar up and walks away.

I specifically recall him doing that in '98 with a Gold Sparkle H. Kid's LK Vee, and later with some oddball custom LP style guitar.  The Vee never hit the deck...the other one did.

'98. You were 12?

Archived