Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Possible Hamer Sighting

Oh - yes, it is a Standard, btw...

I saw them on that tour opening for Heart. It was crazy good. Hunter and his band had everyone dancing and standing on their seats.

Massive! Thanks for sharing. A 4 digit Standard and a pink sleeveless leopard top + shades. Now that is a look we don't see often these days. Sad.

Ian Hunters rocket guitar. What is that? One of a kind, or something you could buy in a guitar store back then?

7 hours ago, Disturber said:

Massive! Thanks for sharing. A 4 digit Standard and a pink sleeveless leopard top + shades. Now that is a look we don't see often these days. Sad.

Ian Hunters rocket guitar. What is that? One of a kind, or something you could buy in a guitar store back then?

That's a '70s Sardonyx guitar.  I can't recall the luthier's name offhand, but they came out of Matt Umanov's shop on 48th St., NYC.  I remember going there in the late '80s and they had one behind glass with a descriptive 3x5 card describing it.

They probably only made a handful of those, and most ended up with higher profile rock stars.  Howard Leese has one (maybe two?) - I saw him play that with Heart eons ago.

I believe John Lennon owned a Sardonix, as well.  I realize this is a Hamer forum, and that’s a 4-digit Standard and all, but the coolest thing on that stage is Ronno with a stripped LP.

Yep - Lennon DID have one from the mid/late 70s until he died.  I think it's still in Yoko's collection.  I remember reading an ancient interview with Rick Nielsen where he mentioned being in the studio with John and that guitar and something about Lennon not wanting to trade him anything for it...

Archived