Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Daytona, T-62 or Vintage S?

PS4 FTW

I've been feeling like my next guitar should be stratocaster-esque. Tried out a few new-ish Fenders, but haven't been all that impressed. Given that this is likely a matter of personal preference, which of the listed 3 do you guys prefer?

I love my T62.  Like it has been said before they are not Fender Strat clones and sound different but n the same palette.

The materials and flexibility it offers are way beyond a Strat however.  The preamp really works and provides much more gain should you need it at any point.  Great necks too.

I chose a T62 over a Vintage S for two reasons.  Body material (maple/maple can be harsh) and the fact it looked more like a Strat.

IMG_1058.JPG

IMG_1056.JPG

IMG_1059.JPG

IMG_1060.JPG

I'm not 100% sure, but I think all Vintage S's have maple bodies. I have never played one, but suspect that they have a very fast attack and can be bright and snappy. If you like that then the Vintage S is for you.

The T-62 is a smaller bodied version of the Stratocaster. It will have a beautiful birdsey maple neck (just as the Vintage S), with a Pau-Ferro fretboard on a 7/8 shaped alder body. I used to own the one DBraz posts above. Great guitar. Also quite fast on the attack and more modern sounding than a vintage strat. Perhaps not as deep in the tone. I really liked it's playability, it has a great neck and is super light and comfortable to play over all. 

The two models are similar, they both have the active preamp cirquit. But the Vintage S can come equipped with a more traditional trem or a Floyd Rose. And they were made with both 3x singlecoils or with a humbucker at the bridge position.

90vint2.jpg

If you want a Hamer with a great Strat feel, but more tonal options and something unique and totally different then go with the Monaco III. Best strat, that is not a strat, that I've had. You can dial in great quacking strat sounds with the five way switch. It's sound is deep, organic and fat - and with a P90 in the bridge it has killer bridge pickup tones for rock. It's a tone monster.

Vintage and classic Strat tones are just a simple pickup swap away in any of those models.....I have always lusted after a Vintage S with 3 single, so I’d go there. Most Rics  are maple....the type of maple matters....if you believe in tonewood. My last Ric 360 was not overly bright at all. 

On 09/02/2018 at 1:44 PM, The Shark said:

Never buy a guitar with an all maple body.  Never...

I completely disagree with that.  I have owned plenty of maple body guitars and they all sounded/sound different.  A maple body/maple neck can be a bit much sometimes.  I'd take each guitar as an individual case.

Big leaf maple sometimes isn't as bright as is often made out.

1 hour ago, DBraz said:

I completely disagree with that.  I have owned plenty of maple body guitars and they all sounded/sound different.  A maple body/maple neck can be a bit much sometimes.  I'd take each guitar as an individual case.

Big leaf maple sometimes isn't as bright as is often made out.

I've had dozens of maple bodied guitars and they all sounded thinner and brighter than mahogany, limba, koa, alder or ash.  All of them.   And they were heavier, which is personal preference "no-no" too!

Different strokes...

Interestingly (at least to me) my one guitar with  largely flame maple body, sandwiched between carved ebony top and back, with ebony board, is NOT what I would call bright. My initial guess was the the hard(er) woods would be on the bright side. Of course the pickups are also part of that equation.

1 hour ago, tbonesullivan said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between the T-62 and the Daytona? The bridge? Or was it more than that? I see a lot of Daytonas out there, but not many T-62s.

T62's have an downsized body, different trem and different electronic (they have preamp in them). Basically, the Daytona is Hamer's "strat" whereas the T62 and (ridiculously-name) Vintage S are 2 different takes on superstrats. Anyway, having tried a few specimens of each, the Daytona would be my pick (although ultimately, my strat needs have been filled bye a Suhr Classic Pro).

Austin

What is the scale length of the vintage S and T-62?  That T-62 comes in Jeff Beck green which is what sold me until I found out the body was 7/8 scale.  I played a few Daytona's in music stores back in 1994.  I bought one off the board here a few years ago and then sold it back to the owner.  It did everything my American Standards do but that 14" radius is too big a jump for me.  I already own a lot of American Standard Tele's and Strat's and I did not want to have an odd ball neck profile with my main go to guitars.

IMO the Daytona is Statocaster-Esque and If I was going with Hamer that's what I'd buy 

Archived