Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Bye-Bye Fender, Hello PRS (Though It Don't Look Like It To Me)

crunchee

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Jeff R said:

I guess the Brent Mason model isn't "stratty" enough for JM ... only the bass side is stratty.

vwrdfbvfq542838-506x580.jpg

I thought they should have stuck with that Body Shape. Mayer was using guitar with this shape, why go totally strat now?

I caught Mayer with Dead and Company back in December. He definitely won me over and wiped away the teeny-bopper lightweight impression I previously had of him. But I’m an unrepentant Deadhead and I know that’s not for everyone. I’m not familiar with a whole lot of his solo stuff.

That said, his new PRS doesn’t hold much allure for me. If I want a Strat that isn’t a Strat, I already have an EBMM Albert Lee. 

• 4 weeks later...

Onyx-2_m3fymy.jpgTungsten-2_xy0yjy.jpgFrost-2_ldakpp.jpgHorizon-2_lor74s.jpg

Spec-wise, we're looking at a 22-fret maple neck with rosewood fretboard, bird inlays, a 25.5-inch scale length, and a 7.25-inch fretboard radius. There's a bone nut and what PRS calls its "Acoustic" frets, which are "slightly larger than vintage frets but slightly smaller (in height and width) than what is found on most PRS electrics."

The tuners, while vintage-styled, have been tweaked with modern components and a locking mechanism, while the headstock shape is actually an inversion of PRS' normal design, allowing for enhanced access to the first fret. The tremolo system is also vintage-inspired, though specifically tuned to only go down in pitch so that the bridge plate remains in contact with the body when in the rest position.

...   the initial price point for the instrument is set at $2,299 USD,

https://reverb.com/news/full-details-on-john-mayers-silver-sky-prs-guitar-revealed

Intriguing. Let's hear some headstock bitching!

31 minutes ago, Tortious said:

I don’t LOVE it, but I don’t dislike it either. It looks just fine enough to me —kinda slightly better than @cmatthes‘s “slightly better than Meh” :P 

22 minutes ago, scottcald said:

I think it looks cheap.  Like cheaper looking than the SEs.  And I’ve always hated the bent steel saddles, especially when they have better saddles. 

That's what I thought as well...

I wonder why they designed a new tremolo for it. I would think having the tried and true PRS trem on it would be a good thing. Maybe it wasn't compatible with the neck angle?

Anyway, I'll also give it a MEH.  Though, it may just be that PRS has been looking for a way to get into the upmarket strat world, and this was the perfect opportunity in their eyes.

However, the competition is pretty fierce. You can get a lot of Fender strat for the 2300 these seem to be retailing at.

Interesting comparing the AMS Facebook announcement against the PRS Facebook page.  The PRS nuts seem mostly in full Kool Aid mode, while the AMS commenters were having none of it. 

I bought a Strat for $600 about 8 months ago.  I can't imagine a better Strat, especially not $1400 better.

I mean, I did spend a pretty good bit of change on a Custom Shop Charvel, but you know... they're actually cool, unlike PRSi.

*Runs away from thread.*

I personally hate those bird inlays, but it's a personal thing. Dots, crowns, victory inlays are all I care to see. All the other fetish stuff makes for nice "art," but I don't care to see it on a fretboard. Just my stupid opinion. 

On 2018-02-09 at 11:42 PM, RobB said:

I wonder if he convinced PRS to do a six-in-line headstock? Also wonder if it’s a bolt-on neck?

They better. That PRS headstock looks like an olive pick. Ugly. Very ugly.

no-image-available.gif

I like PRS, and I like Strats - find this incredibly underwhelming. Wish they’d gone for something original, tho clearly Mayer wanted a clone. Will be interesting to see if the endorsement works out as they hope. 

I was kinda expecting a natural wood, PRS sig logo variation of the Dan Spitz PRS headstock.

The-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-on-a-PR

The idea came from simply making a 6 in a row style headstock and stretching the current PRS style into something so ugly I would like it. - Dan Spitz, March 2010

10 hours ago, scottcald said:

I think it looks cheap.  Like cheaper looking than the SEs.  And I’ve always hated the bent steel saddles, especially when they have better saddles. 

I'm not really a fan of the saddles they used.  I suspect that was one of Mayer's specs for this.

On 2/9/2018 at 5:42 PM, RobB said:

I wonder if he convinced PRS to do a six-in-line headstock? Also wonder if it’s a bolt-on neck?

It is a bolt-on neck.

I like some of what they've done with it, some of it would take a bit of getting used to.  That said, I'm not in the Strat market, so it's really not on my radar.

Archived