Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Tom Wheeler...R.I.P.

cmatthes

I just heard the sad news that Tom Wheeler passed away.  I really learned a lot from reading his articles and books as a kid, and he really brought a great and important historical perspective out on the guitar industry.  I got to meet him at the Hamer shop, and he couldn't have been a more engaging, nicer guy.

He had high praise for Hamer, and that meant a lot.

3 hours ago, cmatthes said:

I just heard the sad news that Tom Wheeler passed away.  I really learned a lot from reading his articles and books as a kid, and he really brought a great and important historical perspective out on the guitar industry.  I got to meet him at the Hamer shop, and he couldn't have been a more engaging, nicer guy.

He had high praise for Hamer, and that meant a lot.

Chris, really nice post.  

Besides the Hamer Workshop Event,  Tom could be found at several guitar shows with JK Lutherie autobiography his books or walking the shows. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

Hamerica

Heard him speak at the last or one of the last Hamer open house events. He was very knowledgeable and well spoken. Clearly loved guitar and related subjects. Bought and read one of his books on the Fender Strat, I believe and enjoyed it very much. RIP Tom!

ArnieZ

Very sad.  Tom Wheeler was at the helm when I first discovered Guitar Player magazine in high school.  I still remember the day and place clearly, when the "Ah-ha!" moment occurred and I realized that my silly guitar hobby was a serious enough pursuit to have its own magazine.

16 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

Outside of THE book, Tom wrote the book on electric guitar. 

Yes, I remember I read his book front to back and in the reverse direction several times in the past.

Still have it and sometimes open it just to take a look.

RIP, Tom.

Gabe

Archived