Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Saw The Hawthornes Saturday Night

coolfeel let us know that his band, The Hawthornes, put out a new CD along with information about a CD release party this past Saturday.  Two or three years ago I said they are a band worth travelling to see, but I never know when they are playing.  It was drizzling, but that did not stop me from driving two hours to Charlotte for their CD release show. 

Before the doors opened a small crowd was outside the entrance.  The Evening Muse is so small that no matter where you sit there is a great view, but lucky ol' me got a seat on the front row.  coolfeel saw me and said hello.  He had so many friends there, that he was saying hello to everyone.  The whole band was socializing before the show.  When 7:30 rolled around they got up on stage and began playing all the songs from the new CD. 

It was not just the four guys in the band playing.  Everyone who played on the album was on stage.  Two horn players, a percussionist, a rapper, an additional singer, and even a banjo player for one song joined the band throughout the show.  The core band locks in together and impresses.  The added musicians fit in like they are always there.  It was great, and the packed club was totally into it. 

We tend to be quick to pass around compliments here, and many great players are part of this message board.  Some professional musicians have joined this message board.  To describe coolfeel as a great player is true.  If you have ever said something about your own talent not being up to a level to warrant owning some of your guitars, then you will understand this description of coolfeel:  his playing is worthy of his custom made Hamer Chaparral, the one with the wenge neck and carved koa top.  His song arrangements and the parts he throws in the background of his songs are so well thought out that the music is smooth, not distracting you with parts that stick out unnecessarily.  It would be a nightmare for most people to figure out those parts because they are full of chord changes and different picking techniques.  There are some simple solo parts and then there are those that take a few years of shredding to equal.  The point of each solo is to fit the song, not the player.  coolfeel is a musician, not just a guitar player. 

Check out the new CD and you will notice what I am talking about. 

Thanks for that Steve. As soon as I heard that one song preview from last year I knew coolfeel was a monster player and that he had a monster band. I'm so looking forward to listening to the CD... I was thinking about the gig all weekend.  He's a legit question: How can we all help this band break or get airplay or attention? What can we do as a grassroots movement to get things started for them in our corners of the world? Anyone have any ideas?

7 hours ago, Dasein said:

....Here's a legit question: How can we all help this band break or get airplay or attention? What can we do as a grassroots movement to get things started for them in our corners of the world? Anyone have any ideas?.....

First, start with a million dollars.......

Archived