Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Tell us about your non-Hamer and not custom-ordered preferred axe

zorrow

1 hour ago, cynic said:

I really like my 1980 Greco SG Special (Super Real SS-500) lately.  Photo credit goes to @Jeff R who recently removed a bit of wood from the pickup cavities in order to accommodate the Dimarzio Deluxe Plus pickups and added the Mojoaxe compensated wrapper.  It's very garage.

Greco SG Special.jpg

That’s cool as all out!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my Suhrs. Can't really say that I have a fave though. Been really digging the Pete Thorn model lately. Shockingly (though not unpleasingly) bright with everything up to ten, but roll the tone back to around seven and the volume down a touch and it does the whole vintage 2-humbucker guitar thing very nicely. Philosophically, it's like a DGT, but it does virtually everything better for my tastes.

Austin Quinn

21 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

I’ve been looking at those. I love my Standard Pro S3 and want another Suhr. My next two will be the Thorn model and I want a Classic T 50s or 60s spec (not sure which yet). Have you laid your hands on a Classic T? If so what are your thoughts?

I have these:

zm3isZp.jpg

and a Pete Thorn model and another Standard (and no money LOL). My Classic T Pro is a bit unique in that it was part of a small special run with arm contours and belly cuts. Because of this, it plays better for me than any other T type (although, the T51 with its more-rounded-than-standard edges was super comfy too). I love Suhr's SSCII system, neck carve and stainless steel frets. Tone-wise, it sounds like a tele I guess :D. Much like my Classic Pro, after getting it I don't have any tele-related gas. I'm sure if you are a tele connoisseur there are other guitars out there that could be a better fit. But if you like Suhrs, I imagine you'll like Suhr Ts.

Austin

After my Artist P-90 (with low-wind Fralins), my #1 would be my EJ Strat. The stock pickups are just the sound that I'm looking for and the neck is outstanding.

FenderStratocasterEJTop1.jpg

I picked up an Music Man Albert Lee HH, shortly before hitting the road for the past 2 months, and brought it with me.  After surviving a truck roll-over with me, and a few hours in deep sub-freezing temps, it's fast become a favorite.  The waxed, rosewood neck is sublime, the smaller body/lighter weight feels great, I love the esthetics and the five-way switch, which splits the humbuckers, give it a bit of added tonal versatility.  I'm not thrilled with the stock pickups, which run a little hot and dark, for my tastes.  I like the guitar enough that I'm kicking around the idea of getting one in SSS.  Having that EJ , I'm not sure what I'd be hoping to accomplish.  Let me ask the experts here, is there any reason to own more than one SSS guitar?

Albert Lee.jpg

1 hour ago, gtrdaddy said:

Austin, you’ve a nice collection of Suhrs! :wub:   Your T model, is it alder?

I see you’ve a JM, how do you like that compared to the Thorn signature model? I was thinking of trying one of those eventually, but want a Classic T and the Thorn first. You’ve the P90 version, have you played the humbucking version too? I love the body on those a lot.

Your right about his electronics. Everything he does I believe are huge improvements over the original designs. 

Yes, my T is alder. All the Pro series ones with rosewood boards are. I didn't have a strong preference in terms of body wood either way, but some reason I don't like maple fretboards, so alder was the only option. The JM's great, but it's more like a tele on steroids than the Thorn. The fact that it has a dedicate bridge tone knob makes it more set-it-and-forget-it than the tele though. And output-wise it can keep up humbuckers no problem even though the pickups sound and feel like single coils. I've never tried the humbucker version, but I'm sure I'd like it (It has the same model humbuckers that I have in my Studio Custom and I'ved like the same pickups in other guitars I played). I really like the split sound of Suhr humbuckers though so I felt like it would be kind of a waste to get a guitar where they were just in a 3-way configuration. If I ever come across a Thornley model used I might give that a try (doubt that will ever happen though).

Austin

30 minutes ago, Michael_B said:

...I picked up an Music Man Albert Lee HH, shortly before hitting the road for the past 2 months, and brought it with me.  After surviving a truck roll-over with me, and a few hours in deep sub-freezing temps, it's fast become a favorite.  The waxed, rosewood neck is sublime, the smaller body/lighter weight feels great, I love the esthetics and the five-way switch, which splits the humbuckers, give it a bit of added tonal versatility.  I'm not thrilled with the stock pickups, which run a little hot and dark, for my tastes.  I like the guitar enough that I'm kicking around the idea of getting one in SSS.  Having that EJ , I'm not sure what I'd be hoping to accomplish.  Let me ask the experts here, is there any reason to own more than one SSS guitar?

Albert Lee.jpg

I played an Albert Lee years back in a store (3 P90 model IIRC) and was just stunned by how incredibly comfortable it was. I believe the humbuckers in the HH model are the same ones they use the Axis, so it makes sense they would be hot and dark. Maybe just swap them out for something lower output like Dimarzio 36s or PAF Masters?

Austin

On 2/21/2018 at 2:50 PM, polara said:

'63-ish Silvertone. They came with Gibson-made mini-buckers and genuine Bigsbys. It's been re-sprayed here and there and has a non-original (ancient) Bigsby aluminum bridge and a repro pickguard (guard and TRC are off in this photo) and a great neck with low action.

IMG_5306.jpg

That's the John Hiatt "Perfectly Good Guitar"!  Had one and loved it but gave it to my drummer/bassist/best bud when I left St. Louis.  That is one cool-ass guitar.  The hotshots in Nashville are paying a fortune for these now.

On 2/21/2018 at 7:36 PM, Greg G said:

Two favorites, both acquired with the help of or directly from an HFC'r.  electric:  My '64 SG Jr., vetted and shipped by 0054.  Thanks again, Rodi!  I was looking for a pre-'65 for years.  All original with the exception of the pick guard and one tuner button.  No breaks or repairs.  Love it.  acoustic: My Taylor 612 purchased from Tom Terrific.  I play this one daily.  I may need an exception for this one because I believe Tom custom ordered it back in the day.  A real sweetheart of a guitar and great for finger picking.  You meet the nicest people on the HFC forum!

20170502_184718.jpg

20131122_183955.jpg

Greg, that wasn't a "serious" custom.  It was just fingerboard inlays that didn't normally come on the 800 series at the time but were available on another series.  Still they managed to screw it up and had to do the whole neck over again.  That and the MOP truss rod cover.  That might have been the hardest music-related decision I've ever had to make.  You know how to find me.....

And thanks for sending the TRC back.  Means a lot to me.

15 hours ago, Michael_B said:

After my Artist P-90 (with low-wind Fralins), my #1 would be my EJ Strat. The stock pickups are just the sound that I'm looking for and the neck is outstanding.

FenderStratocasterEJTop1.jpg

I picked up an Music Man Albert Lee HH, shortly before hitting the road for the past 2 months, and brought it with me.  After surviving a truck roll-over with me, and a few hours in deep sub-freezing temps, it's fast become a favorite.  The waxed, rosewood neck is sublime, the smaller body/lighter weight feels great, I love the esthetics and the five-way switch, which splits the humbuckers, give it a bit of added tonal versatility.  I'm not thrilled with the stock pickups, which run a little hot and dark, for my tastes.  I like the guitar enough that I'm kicking around the idea of getting one in SSS.  Having that EJ , I'm not sure what I'd be hoping to accomplish.  Let me ask the experts here, is there any reason to own more than one SSS guitar?

Albert Lee.jpg

I just traded away my Albert Lee HH, but kept my Albert Lee SSS. I can’t see how you would regret getting one, seeing how you already like the body shape and neck.

It’s loud and growling when plugged in and it likes to rip peoples heads off.

It doesn’t play well with others and won’t be upstaged by a guitar solo.

1973 Fender Precision Bass that I bought from King James Music in ‘74 ( it was new old stock).

It was my first real bass.

The body, neck, tuning machines, the string tree, and the rear neck plate are original - everything else is added.

I shaved the neck a bit after removing the finish and soaked it in MinWax antique oil finish.

The cavity under the pick guard is routed out.

The pick guard is a very heavy brass piece.

The bridge is brass as well as the knobs.

The wiring is Belden 8451 shielded single pair.

The controls are  either Omite or Allen Bradley from 1971-3

The switches are 1970’s Alco-Switch DPST.

The split P/U is an original Dimarzio Model P from 1977-78 (Pat. Pend.).

The  rear pickup is a 1973 Gibson EB3 treble position.

The control setup is Vol.-Vol.

The switches are:  Dimarzio: series/parallel   Gibson: In/Out of phase.

94B7AA1D-E6AB-433D-9265-CDFAF2D6F911.jpeg

216AAF6F-272B-4EB9-A408-AB5F2E3BE7B9.jpeg

file

16 hours ago, HSB0531 said:

It’s loud and growling when plugged in and it likes to rip peoples heads off.

It doesn’t play well with others and won’t be upstaged by a guitar solo.

1973 Fender Precision Bass that I bought from King James Music in ‘74 ( it was new old stock).

It was my first real bass.

The body, neck, tuning machines, the string tree, and the rear neck plate are original - everything else is added.

I shaved the neck a bit after removing the finish and soaked it in MinWax antique oil finish.

The cavity under the pick guard is routed out.

The pick guard is a very heavy brass piece.

The bridge is brass as well as the knobs.

The wiring is Belden 8451 shielded single pair.

The controls are  either Omite or Allen Bradley from 1971-3

The switches are 1970’s Alco-Switch DPST.

The split P/U is an original Dimarzio Model P from 1977-78 (Pat. Pend.).

The  rear pickup is a 1973 Gibson EB3 treble position.

The control setup is Vol.-Vol.

The switches are:  Dimarzio: series/parallel   Gibson: In/Out of phase.

94B7AA1D-E6AB-433D-9265-CDFAF2D6F911.jpeg

file

Your bass is everything 70's!  That is cool!

Fender Aerodyne Strat, (Japan, circa 2004). First version, without a pickguard. Black with white binding. Basswood body. 7 1/2" fingerboard radius. Bought used and beat to hell. Butt-ugly. Originally intended it as a beater/keep in the trunk guitar, but damn if it didn't demand to be played, edging out many "nicer," more expensive and attractive guitars along the way. I added a Blade-Runner bridge, installed Fishman Fluence pickups (switchable between "vintage" and "Texas-hot" voicings, both noiseless), and carved a forearm contour. Now it's my #1 (gets about 70% playtime).

#2 is a Vox SSC-55 (Korea, circa 2010). Finally a Les Paul-ish  single cutaway guitar I can love. Thick flame-maple cap (in honey) on a mahogany body/neck, long scale,  aluminum bridge/tailpiece combo, noiseless "Coaxe" pickups that are individually switchable between humbucker, P90, and single coil modes (subtle but usable). Gets about 20% playtime.

All this confuses me. I thought when I made partner at my law firm I had to get a PRS?

3 Amigos.jpg

006.JPG

003.JPG

EVH Axis.jpg

Plus a few others but too many to post..

On 2018-02-23 at 5:44 PM, cynic said:

I really like my 1980 Greco SG Special (Super Real SS-500) lately.  Photo credit goes to @Jeff R who recently removed a bit of wood from the pickup cavities in order to accommodate the Dimarzio Deluxe Plus pickups and added the Mojoaxe compensated wrapper.  It's very garage.

Greco SG Special.jpg

Not the BSTs? Those are my favourite of yours ;)

On 2/24/2018 at 4:14 PM, HSB0531 said:

The split P/U is an original Dimarzio Model P from 1977-78 (Pat. Pend.)

Nice bass!

I'm really partial to the ol' Dimarzios.  I play this one quite a bit...

P5N2tjY.jpg

These are the 2 I've owned the longest and have remained at the top of the heap for what they are.

2003 Tokai LS-320 - Simply the finest Les Paul I've ever played. It's a stout 9.8 pounds, which is heavier than I prefer. But who cares. It plays effortlessly and the Seth Lovers are a perfect match. Honduras mahogany body and neck, solid flame maple cap (no veneer like on lower level Japanese models) and Brazilian/Jacaranda rosewood fretboard.

2006 Revelator Telecaster - I know that Eric has a bad rep around here, and I'm sure it's well deserved. But I was able to pick this up from him already complete and ready to ship so I didn't have to deal with any of his shenanigans. Just a basic tele with GVCG Lollar pickups. I believe it was a tribute to Marc Ford's tele, though I think mine is quite a bit yellower. The neck is absolutely perfect. Not a nocaster baseball bat, but nice and meaty. I'm not sure what he did to it, but it feels played and worn in without just being sanded down.

y4m7sr_TsdRXqI4s-LnGwoWiGGDHuFx21CdOp_3D

y4moT9JnsyNoWI6nKqWWcDUs8zmCPd-UWubFayR1

y4m8L1ifxEnP-fHqQB0s7Nw4Oew_5aJgrD9rJbUh

y4mGvmJSl3haRJkPnWaXMLqWxPopdNyPo0lgeL9N

3 hours ago, chromium said:

Nice bass!

I'm really partial to the ol' Dimarzios.  I play this one quite a bit...

P5N2tjY.jpg

‘79 Mockingbird?

l Love that bass.

This was perfect out of the box, and the one I play most often. Not custom ordered but it was a limited run that G&L did with a nitro finish. Other than Schaller strap-locks it is bone stock.

IMG_0933.JPG

Historic FB III-huge neck and light

1982 Gibson Explorer-fun and rocks

Historic SG/LP Std.  

6C448DA3-AF58-446F-9EA3-CFD113BF1449.jpeg

AFCEFA45-3A82-4A6B-8094-444AAF2C963A.jpeg

0575E7A9-9764-4CF5-A52A-143C8C105CA3.jpeg

4 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

WOW Rob! Two VERY FINE GUITARS!!! :wub:

That J160! ❤️ 💕❤️

Thanks, man. The FGN LP Custom is from @currypowder (I also have a black one from him, too).

The J160e was from Bizarre Guitar (Reno, NV) back when they were bootleg...er..."carrying" Gibsons in the early 2000's. It's a "Historic" model, don't really know what that means. It differs from a vintage J160 in that it has a solid spruce top, X-bracing and a bone saddle in place of the adjustable ceramic version.

I installed a b-Band UST and wired it to a stereo output jack. The forward knob is saddle volume, the rear is the P100. I used a stereo (Dimarzio) cable, the P100 to an AC15 and the UST to a D-TAR Mama Bear preamp direct to the board. Sounds massive, though a bit of a PITA to set up. A mono guitar cable just activates the UST by itself. A Duotone could probably do it easier and better.

Archived