Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD: GCS 58 mahogany VOS Explorer

DaveL

Love how the '58 RI's are so much less pointy than most of Gibson's later Explorers - that's what appeals to me so much with the Hamer Standards also. B)

Come to think of it, the less angular look was carried even a little further along with my own "Standard/Explorer Junior" design and build.

DSCN3322.JPG

Regarding the pointiness of later Gibson USA Explorers, it's one become one of those things that once you see it, you can't unsee it. (like that damned FedEx arrow in the logo)
Totally turned me off the Gibson Explorer after that.  They all look 'wrong' to me anymore. 

Congrats! Great looking guitar. 

I was soured on the modern Explorer body profile after really getting a handle on the geometry of the four-digit Standard.  Now that I think of it, I also soured on the Explorer headstock after seeing the Hamer Standard and the variant used on the original Ibanez Destroyers. The modern Gibson headstock is far too narrow at the beak in comparison.

ETA: Dave's '58 reissue is gorgeous. Methinks Gibson could make a production-line version faithful to Dave's GCS '58 if they really wanted to.

On 3/7/2018 at 7:37 PM, gtone said:

Love how the '58 RI's are so much less pointy than most of Gibson's later Explorers - that's what appeals to me so much with the Hamer Standards also. B)

Come to think of it, the less angular look was carried even a little further along with my own "Standard/Explorer Junior" design and build.

DSCN3322.JPG

I LOVE THIS!

Archived