Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD: GCS 58 mahogany VOS Explorer

DaveL

lotta talk about Gibson... here's a few shots of a 2013 (or 14)  Gibson Custom Shop 58 explorer

full neck,  7 lbs 1 oz...  Aspen white, believe it was a limited run of 15-20.   Had been watching it

for a couple months on the GC used section, and jumped on it when the price dropped...  

As with any GC transaction... It was a little bit of a white knuckle ride.   when it shipped

the package weighed 13 lbs... yikes,  they forgot the case.   thankfully,  they used a good box

with tons of bubble wrap...  case arriving today.    Plays and sounds great, beautiful

action... possibly the world's oldest strings... lol    nice and raw,  custom buckers I believe... 

very happy.  for all the crap Gibson is getting,  when they get it right,  they knock it out of the park.   

pics, enjoy...  

i-7rr6nW5-L.jpg

i-TbbNbdT-L.jpg

i-SGXbNkq-L.jpg

i-9w7pNrh-L.jpg

i-T6kFVjm-M.jpg

i-NdDd8wr-M.jpg

17 minutes ago, BTMN said:

I use the trophy emoticon not to say Thanks but to say what a prize that looks to be.

I often do the same thing, and did above!

Damn. Love that Explorer. Murkat was selling a white Korina lightweight one a few years back that looked like that IIRC. I am still kicking myself for not buying it.

Whoah...

1 hour ago, murkat said:

check the CPA cavity to see if its Korina or Mahogany ;)

Very Nice!

Thanks for the comments everyone.  ohsc arrived...  

hmmm...  isn't that interesting? checked the control cavity and white paint covering

most of it,  but I can see the wiring channel which goes to the pickup... bare wood looks

lighter than you'd typically expect for mahogany.    had to leave, but going to take a closer

look tonight...       

56 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

Damn. Love that Explorer. Murkat was selling a white Korina lightweight one a few years back that looked like that IIRC. I am still kicking myself for not buying it.

I tried out murkat's Explorer.  It was one of those guitars you could not put down.  I feel like kicking you for not buying it, too! 

Guitar center is good about forgetting to send cases along with the used guitars. in the 90's & 2000 when you look at a used guitar they would always say it does not have a case, but then out of the blue when you asked if they had any in the back that would fit . one would show up for & add $50-75 to the price.

The GC in Indy had a clearance sale a few years back , had a whole row of cases for $10 each. I picked up a few Les Paul cases that day.

46 minutes ago, bruce919 said:

Guitar center is good about forgetting to send cases along with the used guitars. in the 90's & 2000 when you look at a used guitar they would always say it does not have a case, but then out of the blue when you asked if they had any in the back that would fit . one would show up for & add $50-75 to the price.

The GC in Indy had a clearance sale a few years back , had a whole row of cases for $10 each. I picked up a few Les Paul cases that day.

Back in the day the thing about used cases at GC is when they would come in with a trade-in or street buy, they would get a separate sku and a cost of 1 cent would be applied to them. Then when some other sales jagoff sold a different guitar but the buyer was too cheap to pop for a new case, the jagoff would offer the used case from yet another different guitar for $20 or something like that. So the gross profit for that item was $19.99.

58 minutes ago, bruce919 said:

One of the guys at my local store explained that there is a glitch in their inventory software that doesn’t properly track the cases.   That said. Wierd that someone would look at this guitar and not think it had a case.     Yes I’ve bought some of those $5 and $10 cases in the past.   Nice deal.          Edit.  Sorry typing at the same time as Chris.   Wow That helps explain it the case hijinks.    

59 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Have you changed strings yet?

Those ancient strings have that vintage mojo that one simply cannot get out of new set of strings. 

1 minute ago, Biz Prof said:

Those ancient strings have that vintage mojo that one simply cannot get out of new set of strings. 

It would be a heck of a thing if DaveL finds out it was the strings and not the guitar that had all the mojo.  ^_^

Hi,  yes,  cleaned it up and restrung it last night,  lovin it...  before I did,  I kind of poked around

the insides,  there wasn't enough bare wood to really get great view...  but here's a couple pics

the wood,  looks lighter than normal... korina?   I don't know...   this guitar was on reverb a year

or so ago and the seller used the term "hand selected for it's weight"  but when I asked him,  

he basically said,  it was  a year ago,  never played it... can't speak for it...     guess he thought I

was trying to return it or something... lol    .         

DaveH   Agree  puzzling,  Kind of blew my mind but thankfully they filled the box completely with bubble wrap 

i-4QW2KcL-L.jpg

i-KFdrMzb-M.jpg

i-QGKW63Z-M.jpg

i-LnXrvsb-M.jpg

21 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

You're not alone

Pretty sure we’re looking at a Mahogany body there.  

What an incredibly cool Explorer!

Archived