Hamer Fan Club Message Center

TOTO - Royal Albert Hall April 1st

DBraz

Had the pleasure of watching TOTO again this time at the Royal Albert Hall.  Man they were brilliant as always.  I just love Lukather and again he delivered with some epic shredding.  In fact the whole band were on great form.

They had their set split into 3 sections.  The first section included some greatest hits interspersed with 1 or 2 new songs that they released with their 40th Anniversary album recently.  The second section of the set was David Paich and Steve Porcaro, both sat next to each other sharing a mic and the keyboards, telling the story surrounding their history.  How they found each other, the songs they wrote etc with each part of the tale adjoined by an acoustic version of one of their songs from the relevant period.  A lot of good humour hear and this part of the set was very well received.   Finally, back to full volume for the final section of greatest hits and 1 encore.  

We sat 10 rows from the stage slightly off centre and had a great view throughout the performance.  The sound too was excellent and it got better and better as the night went on.

Luke changed guitars almost every song with a rotation of about 4.  He also still has a formidable pedal board which he remains fully in charge of at all times.

My only regret?  Not taking my "proper" camera.  I relied on the mobile but the staff there were quite relaxed and there only appeared to be a "no flash" policy in place.

IMG_3813.jpg

IMG_3803.JPG

It looks like you had a great seat. 

Last year Toto played in a small outdoor setting a couple of hours away from me.  I missed the show announcement, and by the time I could buy a ticket they were sold out.  One day I want to see Steve Lukather in concert. 

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

It looks like you had a great seat. 

Last year Toto played in a small outdoor setting a couple of hours away from me.  I missed the show announcement, and by the time I could buy a ticket they were sold out.  One day I want to see Steve Lukather in concert. 

Oh man that would have been brilliant.  Such a shame you missed out.  I have seen TOTO 3 times and Steve Lukather 4 times.  He is an outstanding player with tremendous feel.  But you don't need me to tell you that! :)

How many hats wore Paige though?

It would be great to see them again. I have seen them twice in the early zero years I think. The Albert is a fantastic hall btw. Have seen Brian May there once. Unforgetable!

2 hours ago, gorch said:

How many hats wore Paige though?

It would be great to see them again. I have seen them twice in the early zero years I think. The Albert is a fantastic hall btw. Have seen Brian May there once. Unforgetable!

Oh Paich went through plenty.  Every once in a while he’d take his hat off to salute audience members in their own variation of top hats.

It was my first time at the Albert Hall.  Like you said great venue.  I expected the sound to be mediocre given the height of the place but it was fantastic.  They’ve done a number on the acoustics.

I still remember (vividly!) my only concert experience at RAH.  We went to the returns booth and for the price of a commoner's ticket, we got hooked up with a private box overlooking the stage with a real waiter/butler and everything - for some reason, we had a lot of Foster's oil cans that night.   It was Squeeze headlining, and Boys Wonder opening.  Couldn't have been more different acts onstage, but both were fantastic, and that is a GREAT place to see a band.  I counted up old ticket stubs recently, and I've actually seen Squeeze/Glenn T. nineteen times since then.  Yikes - I mean, they're no Toto, but...

;)

29 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

SOOOO Jealous! What a great venue to see them in!! Glad you enjoyed it! They're one of my favorite bands. Lukather Rules!

Me too.  I am never disappointed watching Lukather live.  He always plays solos differently and in perfect time.  The consummate pro with an abundance of talent.

My wife and I came to the realization the other day that we might go to waaaaay too many concerts.

53 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

My wife and I came to the realization the other day that we might go to waaaaay too many concerts.

There’s never too many.  Time is definitely a factor though.:)

Archived