Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Bye Bye Buckingham

33 minutes ago, polara said:

Yep, like Foreigner and a bunch of the other classics, they've gone from being a band to being a brand.

People gotta earn a living. As long as there's a market for it, why not?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

I hate to say it, but many bands that lasted were ones who really cared about being a brand.

Zero shame in that. You spend decades building brand equity and you're supposed to abandon it because of some misguided sense of credibility? Not sure why we expect famous musicians to do something that none of the rest of us would do.

21 hours ago, scottcald said:

Isn't this like the 4th time he's been fired? 

Like Steinbrenner firing Martin.

Buckingham is a combination of unique talents, no doubt.  He's also a well-known micromanaging asshole.  Bringing Timmons and Campbell into the fold will, I think, more than compensate for the loss as both are great players and writers (Campbell co-wrote a crapload of stuff with Petty), with a whole lot less drama and extraneous BS.

As a whole, the band is pretty well past it but this change might produce some very good new output.

Of all the guitar players in MAC I think Kirwin was great [Danny] was way better than Green [The Green God] Welch [Bob] was a fine guitarist as well. The group has been a troubled band for many years with many strange things going on not to mention the line up changes. 

Danny Kirwan had a killer vibrato which rivaled Paul Kossof’s yet was very different. It was wider and wilder, yet under control. Listen to it on any live cut of Oh Well. Kirwan takes all those solos. IIRC, they had an agreement where they would play solos on the other’s song...so if Green wrote it, Kirwan soloed, and vice- era...but obviously, not always. Green Manalishi is an aexception, As is Albatross.

23 hours ago, 0054 said:

My favorite Fleetwood Mac song.

This is Fleetwood Mac!?!? I knew about the different members, but haven’t heard anything other than Rumors, a billion times.

12 hours ago, Sugartune said:

This is Fleetwood Mac!?!? I knew about the different members, but haven’t heard anything other than Rumors, a billion times.

Oh, Sugartune.....you are in for a treat. Start with the first album, Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac.....it is so damn good....the roller coaster of personnel really started at the beginning where players came and went. Once Greenie  left, Fleetwood & McVie took the reigns and called the shots. But I digress. Some of the best blues and blues-rock came from the early Mac...3 very different sounding guitarists and singers. 

I keep seeing references to the original Fleetwood Mac and Mike Campbell's ability to play that material. Where does anyone get the idea that any of those songs will make it into the current set list? Here's the most recent FM set list I could find. Not seeing any of the blues/rock stuff:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/fleetwood-mac/2017/citi-field-new-york-ny-53e5e78d.html

7 minutes ago, MCChris said:

I keep seeing references to the original Fleetwood Mac and Mike Campbell's ability to play that material. Where does anyone get the idea that any of those songs will make it into the current set list? Here's the most recent FM set list I could find. Not seeing any of the blues/rock stuff:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/fleetwood-mac/2017/citi-field-new-york-ny-53e5e78d.html

Agreed. Although many of us appreciate the early material, there are a great number of Fleetwood Mac fans that aren't even aware the band existed before Buckingham & Nicks joined. The new replacements jobs will be to play the hits.

I can only go for about a week or so before I have to listen, again, to selections from the Boston Tea Party live stuff (1970). The 24-minute version of "Rattlesnake Shake" is mandatory.

Saying that I was hoping they'd play P. Green tunes was partly wishful thinking and partly sarcasm on my part...primarily because of how Rumours kinda obliterated anything that Fleetwood Mac did before, at least in most casual listener's minds.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2018 at 9:14 AM, MCChris said:

I keep seeing references to the original Fleetwood Mac and Mike Campbell's ability to play that material. Where does anyone get the idea that any of those songs will make it into the current set list?

Well it seems like Stevie's leading the charge to put some of that stuff in. She also appears to still have lots of axes to grind, and lives in an apartment. :ph34r:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/fleetwood-mac-detail-new-tour-talk-lindsey-buckingham-w519492

they've already decided that this tour will feature songs from the entire history of Fleetwood Mac, not just the original Buckingham/Nicks run from 1975 to 1987. “We were never able to do that since 1975 because certain people in the band weren’t interested in doing that,” says Nicks. “Now we’re able to open the set with a lot; a raucous version of [1969’s] ‘Rattlesnake Shake’ or something. I’d also like to do [1970’s] ‘Station Man,’ which has always been one of may favorites. We’re definitely doing [1970’s] ‘Oh Well.’”

Tour dates:

October 3 - Tulsa, OK @ BOK Center
October 6 - Chicago, IL @ United Center
October 10 - Louisville, KY @ KFC Yum! Center
October 12 - Lincoln, NE @ Pinnacle Bank Arena
October 14 - Des Moines, IA @ Wells Fargo Arena
October 16 - Indianapolis, IN @ Bankers Life Fieldhouse
October 18 - Kansas City, MO @ Sprint Center
October 20 - St. Louis, MO @ Scottrade Center
October 22 - St. Paul, MN @ Xcel Energy Center
October 26 - Cleveland, OH @ Quicken Loans Arena
October 28 - Milwaukee, WI @ Wisconsin Entertainment and Sports Center
October 30 - Detroit, MI @ Little Caesars Arena
November 1 - Pittsburgh, PA @ PPG Paints Arena
November 3 - Ottawa, ON @ Canadian Tire Centre
November 5 - Toronto, ON @ Air Canada Centre
November 7 - Columbus, OH @ Nationwide Arena
November 10 - Edmonton, AB @ Rogers Place
November 12 - Calgary, AB @ Scotiabank Saddledome
November 14 - Vancouver, BC @ Rogers Arena
November 17 - Tacoma, WA @ Tacoma Dome
November 19 - Portland, OR @ Moda Center
November 21 - San Jose, CA @ SAP Center at San Jose
November 23 - Sacramento, CA @ Golden 1 Center
November 25 - Oakland, CA @ Oracle Arena
November 28 - Phoenix, AZ @ Talking Stick Resort Arena
November 30 - Las Vegas, NV @ T-Mobile Arena
December 3 - Denver, CO @ Pepsi Center
December 6 - Fresno, CA @ Save Mart Center
December 8 - San Diego, CA @ Viejas Arena
December 11 - Inglewood, CA @ The Forum
December 13 - Inglewood, CA @ The Forum
February 5, 2019 - Houston, TX @ Toyota Center
February 7 - Dallas, TX @ American Airlines Center
February 9 - Austin, TX @ Frank Erwin Center
February 13 - Birmingham, AL @ Legacy Arena at The BJCC
February 16 - New Orleans, LA @ Smoothie King Center
February 18 - Tampa, FL @ Amalie Arena
February 20 - Ft. Lauderdale, FL @ BB&T Center
February 22 - Columbia, SC @ Colonial Life Arena
February 24 - Charlotte, NC @ Spectrum Center
February 27 - Nashville, TN @ Bridgestone Arena
March 3 - Atlanta, GA @ Philips Arena
March 5 - Washington, DC @ Capital One Arena
March 9 - Atlantic City, NJ @ Boardwalk Hall
March 11 - New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden
March 13 - Newark, NJ @ Prudential Center
March 15 - Hartford, CT @ XL CENTER
March 20 - Albany, NY @ Times Union Center
March 24 - Baltimore, MD @ Royal Farms Arena
March 26 - Buffalo, NY @ KeyBank Center
March 31 - Boston, MA @ TD Garden
April 5 - Philadelphia, PA @ Wells Fargo Center

Over the years, we have had such as Station Man, Need Your Love So Bad and Jumping at Shadows in our set list. As well as a FM/Santana type mashup of Black Magic Woman. Nice changes of pace from the basic 3 chord cliches. Wishful thinking that they would work a lot of that old stuff in, but it might get me off my butt to go out and see them.

Definitely hope they put out a good live album if they go that far back into Fleetwood Mac history.  Like many, I was pretty ignorant of just how much material was put out BEFORE Buckingham and Nicks even joined. Heck I didn't even know that "Black Magic Woman" wasn't a Santana original until last year.

The music is banned on tape. What do you care who’s performing it on stage? In sports the teams change every year if not twice a year.

On 4/9/2018 at 6:23 PM, Willie G. Moseley said:

Wouldn't surprise me to hear calls for the mighty Mac to stick a fork in itself on accounta it's done. YMMV

Not gonna happen Willie.  There's too much money to be shoveled up.  Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles will be competing for highest price tag on the face of the ticket.  Could we see the first 4 digit crowned & bound ticket price.  Plenty of people out there willing to pay thousands to see Hell Freezes Over Tour Version 3.  Same goes for Fleetwood Mac. Ya don't get Michael Campbell & Neil Finn to sign on for non-soldout venues.  Same goes for Vince Gill and the Eagles. Although there's only one original Eagle left on the stage.  

Same goes for the Stones, wasn't the Voodoo Lounge Tour supposed to be their Farewell Tour.

Who is The Who now? 2 deaf guys and some hired guns shoveling up the cash as fast as they can. 

Saw McCartney a couple years ago.  He didn't play "Saw Her Standin' There".  Now how can you go out on tour riding the legend of the Beatles and not play "saw her standin there" arguably the best R&R tune ever.  Lotsa people walking to their cars shaking their heads back n forth overheard saying things like "did I miss him playing "'stsndin there while i was in the restroom"  Nope.  "Did I miss it when I went out for a beer and a brat" Nope, he didnt play it. "WTF? Yer shittin' me"  Nope.  "Ya mean I paid $160 for me & Maureen to sit in the nose bleed section NB seats 43 & 44 and he doesn't even play their best song"  Yep, ya did.  "I'm never gonna pay up to see that a-hole again.  But when he comes around 2 or 3 years from now.  Deja vu.  you'll be sitting in that same seat(Section NB, Seat 43) for a lot more dough.  Why?  cuz he's a Beatle, dude.  We gotta go see him.  And his voice is noticeably a little teenie, tiny bit weaker. And ya notice there's a 2nd bass player tucked back next to the piano that is painted like a yellow submarine.  

You go to see Crosby Stills & Nash, you'll be sitting in NB-43 having Deja Vu and guess what?  They don't play Deja Vu.  But you already knew that was gonna happen cuz you feel like you been there before. What rabbit hole did we fall into? hole# NB-43.  So the next day you Almost Cut Your Hair.  You just drove past Great Clips then went to the hookah bar between the 7/11 and the dry cleaner and had some kind of mushroom.  Scottie, E & Erd,  WTF just happened..... again.   Over the stadium PA comes the voice of Rod Serling  "see you next year in......The Twilight Zone"  Cheers!

caddie

Excuse me, me and my girlfriend saw McCartney about 2 years ago and it was a great great show.

And the played "I saw her standing there" as well as a lot of other Beatles tunes and Wings songs.

It was a great experience and I wouldn't want to have missed that.

Of course it is not possible for such a great artist to play all the songs that are in his catalog, choices have to be made.

The show lasted for about 3 hours, and again, it was fantastic!

Gabe 😀

Archived