Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Bye Bye Buckingham

I don't think it was so much needing two guitarists to replace him as much as needing a badass guitarist of a similar talent, age and a name recognizable to the FM crowd (even if you don't know "Mike Campbell," you know "Tom Petty's band" ... AND a vocalist in the vein of Buckingham (that's a hard and signature voice to dupe effectively) that just happens to be able to add some guitar to the mix.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Jeff that Finn was brought in more for his voice; the guitar is a bonus.  Campbell was a no-brainer because he can play the epic solos and he & Stevie go way back.  I wonder if they'll do "Stop Dragging My Heart Around" on this tour? 

Did I see Campbell playing KEYS on "Gypsy"?!?  WTF?  Two keyboard players on stage already, and you tell one of the best guitarists on the planet, "Turn off your Les Paul for a minute, there, and play this... dee, dee, dee, dee-dee, dee-dee."

I think both clips were good. I will see them next month in KC. I am thrilled to hear that they will be playing some Greenie era Mac as well as Station Man...also pre Lindsey. Stevie loves that one.

The only constants in that band are Fleetwood & Mac. Others have come and gone. Christine has been with them almost from the beginning, but she took a long hiatus. This is a band that seemingly is always in transition, though the classic 70s lineup stayed together for a long time.

On 4/28/2018 at 7:06 AM, Gabe said:

Excuse me, me and my girlfriend saw McCartney about 2 years ago and it was a great great show.

And the played "I saw her standing there" as well as a lot of other Beatles tunes and Wings songs.

It was a great experience and I wouldn't want to have missed that.

Of course it is not possible for such a great artist to play all the songs that are in his catalog, choices have to be made.

The show lasted for about 3 hours, and again, it was fantastic!

Gabe 😀

He played it in Charlottesville on that same tour.  Opened with 8 Days a Week, which I loved!

• 1 month later...

Archived