Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Two Nik Huber Guitars For Sale

Well, the herd is not as thick as it once was. But it is still far from starving. Seems like there has been increased interest lately in P-90 guitars, especially Juniors and Specials. So, let me throw these out there.....Here are a couple that you may have never seen. At the very least, they are not seen often.

First, one key point. Both are built off of the Dolphin platform, so they are a 25.5" scale. Not quite your basic Gibson clone.....Second, they each have a tone pot that pushes or pulls to change the tone a bit......Call it a coil tap, I guess. Both are exactly the way I received them and, in fact, still have plastic on the pickguards.

The Junior has a nicely figured mahogany body and a Brazilian board over mahogany. The dog ear pickup is hotter and more raw. One explanation is that less wood is removed. To my ear, it is similar in tone to the hot humbucker used in the bridge of the Krautster II, but "less civilized". (Note the KII has a shorter scale and a maple neck). I would call the neck more on the fat side. The weight looks to be just a touch above 6 1/2 pounds. With black (rectangular) hardshell case.

I am not sure how well pictures will show it, but there is some irregularity on the finish of the BACK. Nothing loose or damaged, but it does look like the finish has "sunken" into the wood a bit. I have seen this before on a few other Hubers from around that era ( this is a 2009). Note that I do NOT have the  COA, having bought this used. Somewhere along the line, I did have a downloaded picture of the original dealer's post that indicated it to be Brazilian. I will have to see if I can locate that.

The other one is the Special with korina body and neck, Brazilian board. On this one, which I bought new, I DO have the COA . The sound is more "refined". It has a neck just a bit fatter than the Junior (I love it!) It is 1 pound heavier, at 7 1/2 pounds. Original tweed (rectangular) case. The only issue I will mention is that there is some noise on the volume knob. Seems to work fine, but probably needs a squirt of cleaner.

I had not seriously considered selling either, but I am still trying to force myself to have less "stuff". And I DO hope to have something extraordinary in coming months, so....

I am not quite sure how to put a price on these, as there seem so few in existence. There is a Special posted on Reverb (mislabeled BTW) "marked down" to $3600. NOT korina! The last Huber Junior I saw posted, some years ago, was new and priced at $3999 IIRC.  So, let me throw this put.......$2600 for the Junior, $3100 for the Special. Those prices including shipping (CONUS only). Add payment fees, if required.

Special sold, Junior now also sold.

39581932740_08d5141d22_k.jpg

39581931720_50e6cc1a71_k.jpg

39581932050_2401fbd425_k.jpg

26520174847_588f34b880_k.jpg

37 minutes ago, LordsoftheJungle said:

Does the Special have a lot of similarities to the Krautster II?

Well, they are both single cutaway with a flat top rather than arched. They both have the same headstock, the typical Huber neck joint and build quality. And rosewood board.

There are some pretty major differences. The typical Krautster II has a HOT humbucker in the bridge (splittable), has a mahogany body and MAPLE neck. The combination of the hot bridge and maple neck tends to make it more "in your face", while the split position can mellow it out a good deal. Arguably more like a "Hot Tele". It is based on the Orca platform with a 25" scale. And typically tends to have a faded solid color, though there are many custom variations.

By contrast, the Special is korina with two P90 pickups. It is not as "hot" in the bridge position, but far from "weak". It also has the push tone for smoothing out the pickups (obviously not a coil split). And it is based upon the Dolphin, with a slightly different body style and a 25.5" scale.  And add abalone dots. With a "Mary Kay Blonde" finish.

Note too that the "Orca style" guitars come in a "Les Paul style" case, where the "Dolphin style" (longer scale) come with a"Fender or PRS style" case.

In total, it has quite a few differences.

I AM a fan of the Haussell pickups, which are the choice for both of these, as well as most other Hubers.

One way of thinking about the Huber Special is more like a limited edition Hamer Special K.......Korina, 2 P90s, Brazilian board but shorter scale. FWIW, I picked up a Special K here a while back. I saw no point in keeping it (despite my known tendencies to hold on to things) with this Huber in hand and sold it here (within 30 MINUTES IIRC)

In short, I would not buy the Special if what I really wanted was the specific features of a Krautster. They do fill two very good, but a bit different, niches. I would buy it if the goal was to (most likely) get the "best" Special you have ever gotten your hands on, with awareness there are some differences (like scale) to the well known Gibson variety.

• 3 weeks later...

Hint......These would go good with a Cinco De Mayo party. Though why anyone wants to celebrate scuttling a ship full of condiments is beyond me. 😙

On 4/12/2018 at 6:53 AM, santellavision said:

Everyone needs to own a Huber at least once. They will rock your world. 

Yes you are VERY correct sir!  There is just something very special about his builds.  I've never played/owned a Huber I didn't just LOVE everything about.  Thus the reason I keep them.  I'll sell off almost anything else but my Hubers, BUT i say that a lot about a lot of boutique(ish) builders....Just awesome guitars....

G

• 4 months later...

Long time, no bump.......The Junior is sold, pending payment.

Howzabout I reduce the Special (KORINA!) to $2800?

OOPS....Change of plans.  The buyer decided to take the Korina Special instead. Shipping this morning.

Gotta make room for that OTHER thing incoming from DE after a long gestation period.......

So, howzabout a price drop to $2249 for the other with a black HSC? Call it the Django Djunior .....😉

To quote Peggy Lee......"But if a cat don't know....He just don't know"........Alll it takes is the right touch.....All the better when they come in threes.....

scott walker electro 5.jpghamer monaco III Natural.jpg

Archived