Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Zemaitis production guitars?

I've been intrigued by Zemaitis metal front guitars every since I first saw one.  Looks like they have production models in two lines now: Artanus running about $2500 and Casimere at $1500.  There are loads of them on eBay.  Anybody had the opportunity to see one or play it in person?

1 minute ago, gtrdaddy said:

I know Ron Wood has been using them on and off for years if that means anything. Aside from that, sorry Man, I got nothing.

I think that's where I first saw one.  I've been thinking about picking up something a little weird - a Zemaitis, Dan Armstrong, Flying V...

The Antanus line is made in Japan and the Casimere line is made in Korea. Haven't had the pleasure to play any, but they sure look nice.

About a decade ago, Greco was making them and I know they were well regarded, probably similar to the Antanus line now. There are other older copies, too. But sometimes they are difficult to identify as there are no distinguishing markers. A buddy has a Bacchus made MIJ metal front and it absolutely kills.

If I were looking to pick one up, I'd focus on trying to find a used Greco mainly because I'm familiar with the brand. They will have a GZ model number and the rear of the headstock will clearly say Greco.

• 5 months later...

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I picked up an '04 Greco Zemaitis GZ-3500 a few months ago. The Greco line of Zemaitis guitars were the first to be made under a licensing agreement with the Zemaitis family. Apparently there was another higher end line made in Japan in limited quantities, but I've never seen one of those.

Now the Zemaitis brand has several lines, but the "traditional" Zemaitis lines are the Casimere (made in Korea), Antanus (Japan) and Custom Shop (Japan). 

https://zemaitisguitarcompany.com/

I picked up the Greco from Japan. It was hard to get used to, the tone is definitely darker than I was used to with 2 humbucker guitars. Initially, I didn't think I'd hold on to it (I even listed it on Reverb), but a friend convinced me to give it some time and I'm glad he did. The more I play it, the more I like it. And it's definitely a head turner. I got it set up to my liking, and it just plays and sounds great. From what I can tell, it's all original. The pickups are diMarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs. The knobs have been changed, but I have the originals.

The GZ-3500 model was the top of the Greco production Zs at the time and listed for 350,000 JPY (around $3,200). There was a GZ-3000 with less engraving and, I think, a rosewood board. But I prefer the Ebony on this one. I have found and ordered a catalog from 2005 which should shed a little light on mine and other models that were available. I see the Greco metal tops popup every now and then in Japan for around $1,500, give or take, which is right around what I paid.

Here are a few pics for your viewing pleasure:

y4mHEsJ4fFBaUx2hAeeoiuLtpT1BGiaWuuNpOf4O

y4mv1O0ZyVYo-0OKcYsdWh5B8Dge4JlodZaAVTNd

y4mcuTZiyyus_ibTCC48yYh34YmHeElfHxTAL6CT

On 4/20/2018 at 2:43 PM, tommy p said:

I've been thinking about picking up something a little weird - a Zemaitis, Dan Armstrong, Flying V...

Here ya go...'Gold metal' plated Strat-type body by 'Guns, Girls, and Guitars Custom Shop' with a Fender Mexico 'Deluxe series' Strat neck, only 10.4 lbs (no affiliation, BTW):

https://davesguitar.com/products/kit/strat-recent-8/

A friend and sometimes bandmate of mine over the years had two of the Greco-built versions a decade ago.  The metalfront one was cool and played nicely, but was heavy.  I preferred the black with the pearl front version he had  - played great and looked great too, but the neck was a bit skinny for my liking.  At the time, they were pretty pricey, as I recall...

20 hours ago, cmatthes said:

A friend and sometimes bandmate of mine over the years had two of the Greco-built versions a decade ago.  The metalfront one was cool and played nicely, but was heavy.  I preferred the black with the pearl front version he had  - played great and looked great too, but the neck was a bit skinny for my liking.  At the time, they were pretty pricey, as I recall...

Mine is definitely not heavy at 8.4 pounds. And the neck feels like a nice, medium '59 ish carve, very comfortable and easy to play.

• 2 months later...

Another thread resurrection as I ran across a Greco GZ-3500 metal front for sale in Japan if anyone is interested. Probably looking at around $1,800 delivered. It's basically the same as mine with a dark body. And it looks to be in better shape.

If anyone happens to be interested, PM me and I'll help you through the process. No CITES issues as it has an Ebony board.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m308807493

I almost pulled the trigger when a friend sold his Shell Top a decade ago.  He had a metal top and a plain black one that he was gigging with more, and the price was really great at the time too.  Not sure why I didn't...

(Hamer Content:  Turdus sighting)

tmoc13009.jpg

Archived