Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Picks, Pedals, Pickups, and Plugs

OK, so the current gear is:

Amps:

Friedman Small Box
3 Monkey Sock Monkey 18/12 (assuming it isn't busted)
Bogner Shiva
Vox MV 50 Rock

Guitars:

ASAT Special Semi Hollow
Shishkov Double Cut
Gibson LP Traditional
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson ES-335 Studio
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Firebird
Charvel Custom Shop San Dimas
Fender Strat
Guild D35

The Shiva is actually up on Reverb... The goal, scary as it is, is to not buy anymore amps or guitars this year.  My GAS is getting ridiculous, so I'm publicly stating that for the next 8 months, no more big expenditures.  I need to live with some of this stuff anyway.  An attenuator for the Friedman is VERY tempting - the amp sounds fine at 2 but amazing up at 4 (and 110 db) - but I'm even going to try and hold off on that too. 

Hi, I'm Jason, and I have a gear problem.  

1 minute ago, killerteddybear said:

Fixed.

Ha!  Well, if the shoe fits!  However, I'm pretty sated when it comes to Gibbys.  Four of those were Gibsons I bought just to have one represented.  The LPC I got when I was 19 and is just that guitar you can never sell.  It's not even my best playing guitar... not really even close.  But it's my buddy, if that makes sense.  

My real problem is ASATs and Charvels.  I want to own them all. 

Someday, I'll probably buy another Shishkov, but that's going to be awhile.  

1 hour ago, killerteddybear said:

I'm not familiar with Charvels...

WTF?!?!?

In your defense, you do play bass & San Dimas is a bit of a long walk from San Diego but... what was it that occupied your attention during the '80s?

That’s a lot of great stuff!

So what are your dream gigs with those rigs?

In your practice, who are the players whose heads you are trying to get inside of, and what bands? Is this gear what does it?

I promise I’m not trying to be cheeky, I want to know more! :)

9 hours ago, LucSulla said:

The goal, scary as it is, is to not buy anymore amps or guitars this year. 

As someone with very similar gear as yours, I can say that the Smallbox and Shishkov have turned off my GAS like a spigot. No guitar or amp purchases in well over a year. So maybe the same will be true for you.

I'll also say that I own more guitars and amps than you and definitely play less, so my problem is worse.

9 hours ago, LucSulla said:

Hi, I'm Jason, and I have a gear problem.  

I was just thinking the same thing the other day as I pulled the trigger on a Zaftig from BILT. I have 28 guitars and 14 amps. I would say it has gotten out of hand. My wife looks at me like I am crazy every time I bring something new home. 

2 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Ha! He said cheeky :lol:

Haven't heard/read that term used in dialogue since my kids watched Thomas the Tank Engine. 

Amps:  Tip of the Iceberg,

Home studio:  EVH15 LBX [Blue/Red],  Mesa 5:25 Express Plus

Band:                Splawn Competition

Guitars:  Tip of the iceberg,

SSII

Cali

Jeff Beck Strat / Deluxe Players Strat -- both heavily modded

EBMM Axis

Peavey Wolfgang Special

Pedals:

FD2 / FD3 / OCD / 2B  / Catalyst -- various combinations

Way Huge Aqua Puss

DOD Chorus

5 hours ago, geoff_hartwell said:

That’s a lot of great stuff!

So what are your dream gigs with those rigs?

In your practice, who are the players whose heads you are trying to get inside of, and what bands? Is this gear what does it?

I promise I’m not trying to be cheeky, I want to know more! :)

I guess a dream gig these days is a room where I can turn the Small Box up enough to feel it in my pants leg and still stay at 100 dBa at the mixing desk. 

As far as what players, I don't think I'm trying to get inside of anyone's head anymore. For probably the last 10 years, I'm trying to get what is in my head out.  I rarely chase anyone's style these days as much as occasionally running into a musical sentence where I can't pick the right word because my vocabulary fails.  I'll dig around to find someone who is good at that particular thing and see what terms they know, but I don't think any one player does exactly what I want to do.  I guess if you good Frankenstein together equal part Greg Koch, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani, Junior Barnard, and David Gilmour, it would be something like that.  But then I like rhythm a lot too and probably choose amps based as much as how bad ass they sound to me when I play an open A as anything else.   

I have one combo amp. Plus a ZT Lunchbox as "if the real amp blows up at a gig." And five pedals (six if you count the tuner).

That amp and those pedals do all I need, but I will admit to having perpetual low-level GAS. I keep a core of maybe three "I play these and will not sell them" electrics plus a bass and an acoustic, while everything else is to buy cheap, fix up, play it a bit for fun and then sell just as cheap, realizing a $50 loss each time :D

Yeah...but does he have an Instapot and sous vide?

2 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Yeah...but does he have an Instapot and sous vide?

Well, boiled peanuts are religion down here, and pressure cookers abound.  Glad the TGP crowd could discover them and give it a stupid name. 

22 hours ago, zenmindbeginner said:

WTF?!?!?

In your defense, you do play bass & San Dimas is a bit of a long walk from San Diego but... what was it that occupied your attention during the '80s?

In the 80's I lived in Saskatoon. What occupied my attention was trying to stay warm!

On 4/24/2018 at 8:50 AM, MCChris said:

As someone with very similar gear as yours, I can say that the Smallbox and Shishkov have turned off my GAS like a spigot. No guitar or amp purchases in well over a year. So maybe the same will be true for you.

I'll also say that I own more guitars and amps than you and definitely play less, so my problem is worse.

Where do you run the master on your SB out of curiosity?

Archived