Hamer Fan Club Message Center

So, if I was going to build a bass

Northfield

Definitely like the Hipshots. Carvin/Kiesel uses them, and they are solid and lower profile than the elphant ears. I love my EBMM basses, but those giant tuners are something I have never been a fan of.

Bridges come in so many varieties now. I also think maybe looking into the G&L Saddle Lock bridges might be good. The bridge itself has a "foot" that fits into a routed channel on the top of the body. String through options are also nice, as are the "single string" bridges that are out there.

I know I've seen a Shishkov with a Babicz guitar bridge. They make nice stuff.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, geobluto said:

Bridge: always a sucker for the 2-tek, but loved the Babicz bridge... had one on my old Gamma P-Bass...

Gears: Schaller M4's or Hipshot... great ratios with no string slippage... no elephant ears please, time to retire them to the zoo...

2TEK and Schallers get my vote.  I know people like 'em, but the Babicz stuff just seems cheap to me...not sure why.

I don't like their designs or logo. They DO look kinda cheap. They are angular, and look like bathroom hardware. Even their "Z-series" which is supposed to look traditional still looks weird.

3 hours ago, cmatthes said:

2TEK and Schallers get my vote.  I know people like 'em, but the Babicz stuff just seems cheap to me...not sure why.

I don't like their logo plastered on top, same way I hate it on pickups.  Don't they know if we like it, we'll tell people?

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2018 at 2:51 AM, EVHFV said:

Just because. Also, I bet nobody knows who he is. 6 degrees of separation to Hamer guitars, too.

28698404_1381972728574640_2152307876127555913_o[1].jpg

I know who he is. It's Peter "Fargo Pedder" Knorn. He used to be the bass player for the band Victory. The bass was custom built by Rockinger Guitars in Hannover.

HRR

• 2 months later...
On 6/13/2018 at 9:33 AM, cmatthes said:

... I know people like 'em, but the Babicz stuff just seems cheap to me...not sure why.

I don't understand how you can say that about the Babicz when comparing the "industry standard" Fender P/J bass bridge made of bent sheet metal and some off-the-shelf parts to the Babicz drop-in replacement, which is largely made of a heavy cast steel plate and meticulously cast and machined cams that facilitate setting action and minute string lengths for maximum consistency among the strings.

f420677b-388e-42f6-9a6c-ea5b12a44a75_1.7            139132_3600x2699_500.jpg

b45908a7-cfa8-470c-904a-a3c12c058d29_1.4 No wonder Fender came up with a bridge cover to hide that ugly mess.

The Babicz's massive plate and saddles transmit deeper tone and sustain, and the C-Cam saddles make setting the action simple and really effective. Both are signs of high quality materials and close-tolerance manufacturing.

I do agree with your enthusiasm for the 2-TEK. That thing re-defines what a bass bridge can do for tone and clarity.

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:51 PM, scottcald said:

I don't like their logo plastered on top, same way I hate it on pickups.  Don't they know if we like it, we'll tell people?

Yeah... I kinda see what you mean...LOL (Permission to back-pedal, granted.....) 😜

hamer bridge.jpg

On 10/2/2018 at 3:15 PM, JohnnyB said:

139132_3600x2699_500.jpg

b45908a7-cfa8-470c-904a-a3c12c058d29_1.4 No wonder Fender came up with a bridge cover to hide that ugly mess.

I dunno...the bridge cover doesn’t look like it’s tall enough to cover the Blobicz. Maybe it’s possible by adding spacers?

1 hour ago, RobB said:

I dunno...the bridge cover doesn’t look like it’s tall enough to cover the Blobicz. Maybe it’s possible by adding spacers?

Silly boy. Leo Fender died 12 years before Babicz went into business. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I am late to this thread but to add to a comment earlier about the neck-through, Impact design from Hamer,

I have had one for twenty plus years and playing bass is about the neck first and that neck is better than anything I have ever played before or since.  It would be very interesting to see the kind of profile they achieved with this neck in a four string that had your inspiration and attention to detail.  I honestly don't know if you could get it in a set neck style but if you could I would be lining up...

Electronics, bridge and those type of things can be altered later so they are not as important to me as how the neck plays and the voice of the wood it was cut from.  I believe that the choice of wood was both the blessing and the curse of the Neck-Through Impact. I don't think you can even get or use some of the wood that Hamer used for this one but its voice is incredibly beautiful and unique.  I would be very interested in your thoughts on the type of wood you would be exploring for this project. 

Still ready to line up and be a prototype tester/player 😀

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Honestly...I would say...Build it identical to this bass...the bridge/tailpiece is supreme...pickups are incredible-everybody is making Vintage Style T Bird Pickups Now...tuners are like vintage Fender Kluson reverse wind...all easy to find parts...

https://reverb.com/item/16034132-hamer-pre-production-custom-built-for-tom-petersson-1974-green-sunburst

• 10 months later...

Mike,

as a long time John Entwistle style player:

should have an Ultimate body, two massive humbucker in mid/bridge position, long scale and should have a master volume on the front horn. 
And of course needs to have a massive headstock.  
Basses with small headstocks look wimpy.  

greetz

Oliver 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2018 at 7:22 PM, Northfield said:

I’ve been asked when am I going to build one and have some ideas rolling around in my head but I’m curious what hardware, pickups etc those of you that play bass like and why. 

For Wood:  I love Ash for the midrange harmonics. I also like Mahogany, and Mahogany with a Maple cap.

Pickups I’ve used and liked:  Dimarzio P / Gibson EB3 baby hum-bucker combination.  I like MM StingRay style, and I really like anything Bartolini.

Tuners:  Schaller 

Bridge:  anything solid that keeps the-strings down , like a string through design.

Frets:  I like low height and thin.

Fretboard: I like all.

Electronics: Passive or Active

The main thing about the bass would be Not to have it sound like, or look like a Fender or MM or others as much as you possibly can.

I already have that. Most of us already have that.

Something that can cut through a mix, something that is balanced like a StingRay bass (smaller headstock/lighter tuners) something that can sound great regardless of the type of song that’s being played.

I can tell you with certainty that it won't be a Fender or MM style bass.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/11/2020 at 8:25 PM, cmatthes said:

I can tell you with certainty that it won't be a Fender or MM style bass.

Good.

I’m going to start saving money now.

On 10/4/2018 at 9:38 AM, RobB said:

Unlike the sharp and ratty Fender tailpiece, the Babicz cams are smooth and provide a comfortable place to rest your plucking hand.

Archived