Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Northfield

So, if I was going to build a bass

Mike,

as a long time John Entwistle style player:

should have an Ultimate body, two massive humbucker in mid/bridge position, long scale and should have a master volume on the front horn. 
And of course needs to have a massive headstock.  
Basses with small headstocks look wimpy.  

greetz

Oliver 

On 4/30/2018 at 7:22 PM, Northfield said:

I’ve been asked when am I going to build one and have some ideas rolling around in my head but I’m curious what hardware, pickups etc those of you that play bass like and why. 

For Wood:  I love Ash for the midrange harmonics. I also like Mahogany, and Mahogany with a Maple cap.

Pickups I’ve used and liked:  Dimarzio P / Gibson EB3 baby hum-bucker combination.  I like MM StingRay style, and I really like anything Bartolini.

Tuners:  Schaller 

Bridge:  anything solid that keeps the-strings down , like a string through design.

Frets:  I like low height and thin.

Fretboard: I like all.

Electronics: Passive or Active

• Like 1

The main thing about the bass would be Not to have it sound like, or look like a Fender or MM or others as much as you possibly can.

I already have that. Most of us already have that.

Something that can cut through a mix, something that is balanced like a StingRay bass (smaller headstock/lighter tuners) something that can sound great regardless of the type of song that’s being played.

Edited by HSB0531

I can tell you with certainty that it won't be a Fender or MM style bass.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2020 at 8:25 PM, cmatthes said:

I can tell you with certainty that it won't be a Fender or MM style bass.

Good.

I’m going to start saving money now.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 9:38 AM, RobB said:

I dunno...the bridge cover doesn’t look like it’s tall enough to cover the Blobicz. Maybe it’s possible by adding spacers?

Unlike the sharp and ratty Fender tailpiece, the Babicz cams are smooth and provide a comfortable place to rest your plucking hand.

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 1

Good point. Still an ugly blob of metal, though. Their guitar bridges are hideous, too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, RobB said:

Good point. Still an ugly blob of metal, though. Their guitar bridges are hideous, too. 

You’re never a disappointment dude :lol:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RobB said:

I agree that the Babicz versions of the Tunamatic bridge and stoptail bridges on guitars are busy-looking. But Babicz's J-bass version is sheer elegance compared to Fender's bent sheet-metal plus adjustment screws. I'll take Babicz's ability to do a setup in 10 minutes any time over the fussy Fender design. And that's no slam on Leo, either, because he also designed the smooth and comfortable Saddle-Lock bridge designs at G&L:

spacer.png

Having played the stock Fender J-bass with sheet metal bridge and owning a J-bass with the Babicz drop-in replacement plus a 1980s G&L Lynx bass with Saddle-Lock bridge, I'd estimate that the Babicz and G&L bridges add about 30% more tone quality, volume, and clarity over my experience with a J-bass's stock bridge.

Edited by JohnnyB

I just re-read this thread. Yes, Thunderbird passive pups in hog. 2-Tek bridge? Hipshot?  I love my 2-Tek CB but I also love Hipshot products.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

I also love Hipshot products.

Hipshot rocks! Love their tuners 💕❤️💜🤘🏻

• Like 1