Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gibson files for bankruptcy

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessing a smaller, more focused company will emerge, but I wouldn't hold out much hope in the long run. Technology + changing tastes + aging core market + durability and availability of old guitars = someone will buy the name and some assets, and attach it to some Chibsons and a small Custom Shop to try to squeeze some cash from the purchase.

They'll probably go the way of Schwinn, who also ignored a changing marketplace and kept the factories churning out nostalgia merch of wildly varying quality.

Now you see the Schwinn name attached to shitty skates as target.

Damn.  Almost nothing they've done in probably 10 years or more has appealed to me, and I despise Henry's dumb ass, but I'm still sad about this.  I have 7 older Gibsons and like them all.  I sincerely hope they can find a way out of this mess.

"The Gibson name is synonymous with quality and today’s actions will allow future generations to experience the unrivaled sound, design and craftsmanship that our employees put into each Gibson product," Juszkiewicz said in a statement.

18 minutes ago, scottcald said:

Joe doensn't have the kind of money these investment bankers and such have.  

Indeed. This is yet another publicity play.

16 minutes ago, kizanski said:

"Legendary"?

That would make him legendary for sure. Haha. I think it would be a cool thing. At least Joe understand guitars. 

4 minutes ago, Disturber said:

That would make him legendary for sure. Haha. I think it would be a cool thing. At least Joe understand guitars. 

Right, but let's see him do it first, before we're carelessly throwing around adjectives like "legendary," when describing a musician that most musicians never even heard of.  

Really, outside of guitar nerds and the girlfriends they drag to his gigs, how is he legendary?

8 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Right, but let's see him do it first, before we're carelessly throwing around adjectives like "legendary," when describing a musician that most musicians never even heard of.  

Really, outside of guitar nerds and the girlfriends they drag to his gigs, how is he legendary?

Mens suit tailors like him.

9 minutes ago, kizanski said:

He's not. This type of puffery is consistent with his approach to publicity, so that's what this is: a publicity play, if not outright fake news. Plus, even if his purported net worth of $20 million is correct, that ain't anywhere near enough to initiate a takeover of a company like Gibson.

Edited to add: I'm sure our own resident JB will be along shortly to correct me.

Archived