Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Roller Bridge for Newport w/Bigsby

Camstone

Question

18 answers to this question

Curious, why are you doing the conversion? Tuning issues? Bridge rockin’ too much?

My Newport holds tune wonderfully and I use that whammy like it’s Ike Turner on a 50s Strat. And I am digging the filter idea that yours inspired!

I bought another Newport last month that has a Schaller roller bridge on it and I like the way the Bigsby works much better than on the Tron Newport. But I haven't been able to find any info about whether you have to pull the threaded inserts to use the posts that come with the Schaller bridge.

Here's the Newport that I just purchased (without the roller bridge).

And here's the link to the Schaller bridge that's now on it:

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/All_Hardware_and_Parts_by_Instrument/Electric_Guitar_Parts/Electric_Guitar_Bridges_and_Tailpieces/Tune-o-matic_Bridges/Schaller_Roller_Bridge.html

It looks like it comes with two sets of posts, I just don't want to have to pull the threaded inserts out of the top of the Tron Newport.

Newport JB.JPG

Update.

I got a hold of the guy that I bought the Jazzburst Newport from and he told me that the Schaller bridge is a direct replacement and fits on the Hamer posts. So I ordered one from Stewmac for $55.00 and it's the way.

Thanks for the input guys.

Schaller_Roller_Bridge.jpg

On 5/15/2018 at 7:04 PM, Camstone said:

Does anyone know if there is a direct replacement TOM bridge with roller saddles for a Hamer Newport with a Bigsby? Meaning, a bridge that will fit on the same bridge posts.

Thanks!

I‘m using a Schaller. Perfect fit!

16 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

Looks great! Is it helping with tuning stability?

Don't know yet. Just put it on this morning and got the intonation and string spacing set.

Rehearsal with my band this coming Tuesday night and then three gigs in the next two weeks. More will be revealed.

I'm also going to pick up a bit of graphite powder at the local ironmonger.

With my Strat , I mixbthebgraphite powder with Vaseline and hit the saddles nut and string tree... it seems to work...my Strat stay in great tune..and on all my guitar with whammy bars, I yank and slam them HARD.

i als o use Chapstick or 3in1 oil......

its always good to have a Chapstick tube in your case compatment and your center console in your car.

I had a Schaller roller bridge on my Thinline Tele, I changed it for a Wilkinson brass roller bridge which was a direct replacement; the Schallers have a reputation as tone suckers; my Tele sounded a lot better after the change ( pain in the backside to intonate though ).

Jaberwock

This may be useless information, but it may come in handy in the future somehow:

I got a new bone stock Hamer Newport around 2000. I noticed that when I worked the Bigsby, the bridge rocked back and forth. So to improve tuning stability and reduce stress of teh bridge on the top, I replaced the "rocker" bridge with a roller bridge. I'm not sure anymore which one it was  as this was 18 years ago, but I'm pretty sure it was a Stew-mac. The roller bridge provided better tuning stability and return to "neutral", but seemed to lose some tone--less body, less fullness. I put the stock "rocker" bridge back in place and was happier with the tone than with the roller bridge.

I may have been doing something wrong; maybe my Newport was a tad defective. i have no definitive conclusion about this experience other than to say that maybe the roller bridge will improve things, but maybe it won't.

Unfortunately, to verify anything, I'd have to dig my Newport out from a jungle of Hamers & cases, sewing machines, posters, etc. and then restore it to stock, then compare it with the roller bridge, and try to come up with a conclusion. But realistically I can't guarantee when/where I'd do that.

2 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

The roller bridge provided better tuning stability and return to "neutral", but seemed to lose some tone--less body, less fullness. I put the stock "rocker" bridge back in place and was happier with the tone than with the roller bridge.

Totally agree.

Archived