Hamer Fan Club Message Center

django49

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, 0054 said:

So, how much longer? I can't hardly wait, I can't wait!

And it just gets heavier all the time......

Monday? Earlier? 758 miles away, as we speak. Not that I am watching or anything......

4 hours ago, django49 said:

And it just gets heavier all the time......

Monday? Earlier? 758 miles away, as we speak. Not that I am watching or anything......

Ha! Not quite up to Shishkov levels, but my new Korina Artist is out there in shipping limbo right now... Last update was Hodgkins Illinois.

I'm with you in spirit! 

Okay guys.....Moment of truth.....Over a year and a half in. Is there a danger I got my hopes up too high?

Well, believe the "hype". There is a reason for all the gushing reviews. There is always some question as to whether there is a glow around the "last in". Is it "confirmation bias"? I will just say that I am not going to miss the eight other guitars I sold recently, nice as they were. And will be planning to cut some more loose, beyond doubt.

What is it? I decided my favorite combination was korina body (chambered) and neck. Ebony board as well as "trim parts". Redwood top. Inspired at least in part by my former CO Duo-Tone, I wanted the piezo feature. I had two pair of Gravelin pickups awaiting the "right" guitar. Josh gave me great advice on which set would be match my specs. Shipped them off to Mike.

Judge for yourself.....I asked for korina and redwood. Here is what Mike found. Black limba with really nice colors, rather than a "plain white" limba. The redwood has some seeming mix of flame and quilt, with a sort of "chevron" that runs in two directions. My fear on the finish is that redwood, being a softwood, can tend to absorb a finish unevenly and turn "blotchy". I dare say Mike heard me and aced that too.

My other specs? Long scale, coil splits, keep it fairly simple (like bypassing bigger and bolder inlays). In the process, upgraded the side dots to the lumilay type. I have not tried that in the dark yet. I have also not yet tried to stereo split to run into separate electric and acoustic amps. Oh yeah, Mike added a push/pull on the piezo volume knob. It allows two different EQs. For lack of a better word, one is more "dreadnought" the other brighter. Makes it all the better for mixing with the different pickup combinations.....Driven by a 5 way switch.

I DO like binding and that is aces too.....

FWIW, I do not always use a piezo. But I do like it......It can add a nice little bit of "crispness" when blended in lightly. And playing behind a singer, and especially if there is another guitarist, it makes it all the more easy to find the right spot in the mix.

Mag pickups? Wow. They seem a perfect match.....I am sure Mike fine tuned them. Really pack a punch, but with a nice clarity. The action? My initial thought was maybe even TOO low. Plays so perfectly! And, it comes in under 7 1/2 pounds. Just delightful.

I will definitely be spending more time with it. So far, I am experimenting with the different tones and seeing how they fit different tunes. As but one example, I am lately enamored of some Jeff Beck things.....Split the coils, add just a touch of piezo. Just a touch of dirt. (OK, search for JB doing the live version of "Sleepwalk" as my current example. Yeah, I know...Hardly RAWK!) No Strat whammy for his subtle little "tweedlies"? No problem. So easy to add some finger vibrato. And the little bit of piezo adds a little bit of "acoustic squeak" sliding on the strings.

Yes, I can go on. Hope that gives a bit of feel for it. All I can add is, that if you are not already in line, you SHOULD be!

IMG_2219.JPG

IMG_2220.JPG

IMG_2218.JPG

IMG_2216.JPGIMG_2222.JPGIMG_2221.JPGOh yeah.....Very nice fitted case as well.... And I SHOULD get pictures in a better light.

One thing to add......It has the feel of more of a solid body than hollow, though the weight relief, even without the piezo, does give it a bit more of an "airy" feeling.  How does ONE person manage to produce something so perfect? I know....Rhetorical question!

14 minutes ago, django49 said:

Okay guys.....Moment of truth.....Over a year and a half in. Is there a danger I got my hopes up too high?

Well, believe the "hype". There is a reason for all the gushing reviews. There is always some question as to whether there is a glow around the "last in". Is it "confirmation bias"? I will just say that I am not going to miss the eight other guitars I sold recently, nice as they were. And will be planning to cut some more loose, beyond doubt.

What is it? I decided my favorite combination was korina body and neck. Ebony board as well as "trim parts". Redwood top. Inspired at least in part by my former CO Duo-Tone, I wanted the piezo feature. I had two pair of Gravelin pickups awaiting the "right" guitar. Josh gave me great advice on which set would be match my specs. Shipped them off to Mike.

Judge for yourself.....I asked for korina and redwood. Here is what Mike found. Black limba with really nice colors, rather than a "plain white" limba. The redwood has some seeming mix of flame and quilt, with a sort of "chevron" that runs in two directions. My fear on the finish is that redwood, being a softwood, can tend to absorb a finish unevenly and turn "blotchy". I dare say Mike heard me and aced that too.

My other specs? Long scale, coil splits, keep it fairly simple (like bypassing bigger and bolder inlays). In the process, upgraded the side dots to the lumilay type. I have not tried that in the dark yet. I have also not yet tried to stereo split to run into separate electric and acoustic amps. Oh yeah, Mike added a push/pull on the piezo volume knob. It allows two different EQs. For lack of a better word, one is more "dreadnought" the other brighter. Makes it all the better for mixing with the different pickup combinations.....Driven by a 5 way switch.

I DO like binding and that is aces too.....

FWIW, I do not always use a piezo. But I do like it......It can add a nice little bit of "crispness" when blended in lightly. And playing behind a singer, and especially if there is another guitarist, it makes it all the more easy to find the right spot in the mix.

Mag pickups? Wow. They seem a perfect match.....I am sure Mike fine tuned them. Really pack a punch, but with a nice clarity. The action? My initial thought was maybe even TOO low. Plays so perfectly!

I will definitely be spending more time with it. So far, I am experimenting with the different tones and seeing how they fit different tunes. As but one example, I am lately enamored of some Jeff Beck things.....Split the coils, add just a touch of piezo. Just a touch of dirt. (OK, search for JB doing the live version of "Sleepwalk" as my current example. Yeah, I know...Hardly RAWK!) No Strat whammy for his subtle little "tweedlies"? No problem. So easy to add some finger vibrato. And the little bit of piezo adds a little bit of "acoustic squeak" sliding on the strings.

Yes, I can go on. Hope that gives a bit of feel for it. All I can add is, that if you are not already in line, you SHOULD be!

IMG_2219.JPG

IMG_2220.JPG

IMG_2218.JPG

Damn. Just, damn...

Gorgeous black limba! Congrats on a beautiful guitar that plays as good as it looks. 

I am so glad I am on the list again!

At risk of a belated sensory overload, Mike and Trish did follow up with their own pictures, which put mine to shame. But now I understand why it arrived slightly chilled. 🙄

I sound like a broken record, but it was hard for me to believe just how completely a brand new instrument could feel like such a familiar OLD friend. From the first moment I picked it up.

How Mike translated my very specific requests into a 3D reality is way beyond my comprehension. And completely exceeded my already high expectations.

shishkov41.jpgshishkov37.jpgshishkov36.jpgshishkov38.jpgshishkov42.jpg

Is that the schaller wraptail? I noodled around for a minute on @polara's Anderson one day, which I think has the same bridge, and I've considered that hardware for the next Shishkov.

I'm guessing you haven't had a chance to restring it yet, but do you know whether it's less frustrating than the tonepros or pigtail types?  I love the feel of that intonatable style of wraptail under my hand, but I hate restringing those things.  

3 hours ago, soli'd said:

Is that the schaller wraptail? I noodled around for a minute on @polara's Anderson one day, which I think has the same bridge, and I've considered that hardware for the next Shishkov.

I'm guessing you haven't had a chance to restring it yet, but do you know whether it's less frustrating than the tonepros or pigtail types?  I love the feel of that intonatable style of wraptail under my hand, but I hate restringing those things.  

Correct.....No need to restring yet. It is a Graphtech Resomax (which see). The subject did not come up, but I do think the bridge is magnetically secured to avoid the usual issue of not being securely in lace when the strings are replaced. So it SHOULD making string changing easier.

I find myself liking the feel and tone of wrap tails more so than a 2 piece style. And, of course, I needed something to work with the Ghost piezo system.

http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/resomax/resomax-wraparound-bridges

thanks for the clarification. The resomax appears very similar in design to the schaller signum bridge, one main difference being the graphtech is made of "harmonic boosting lightweight alloy" as opposed to the schaller's cast zinc.  I'll defer to Mike. 😎

Archived