Hamer Fan Club Message Center

django49

3 hours ago, 0054 said:

That's way cool~ I love wraptails too.

I can't remember exactly but at some point you were talking about single cut vs double cuts, and you liked single cuts better for tone, less bark perhaps. What made you decide to go with a double cut? I have my thoughts (If the double cut is that good, why not order a single cut!), but I was really curious why you picked the double cut. 

There is much to like and get ideas from your build, congrats all the way around.

So, you want me to show how nuts I really am? OK.....

First, the ltd edition Redwood Studio Custom opened my ears to what redwood could do.

Second, my former custom order Duo-Tone was way off the charts. Old cedar top, korina body and neck. lots of BRW, the "Ultimate" package of abalone inlays and trim. a pair of custom pickups ("Jimmy Pagers") made by Seymour himself just for that guitar with a special order electronics package. Most of the time when I played out, I used my Huber Dolphin (I am a broken record). But when I brought that very special Hamer, it just opened up new options for live play. and the softwood top was a part of that.

Third, the custom order SuperPro with korina body and neck, f-holes, longer scale and ebony board, upgraded pickups. Even better, in some ways. But if it only also had that "acoustic voice" option with the piezo......

Fourth, I found a Huber Redwood. It is a single cutaway. Super lightweight, nearly TWO POUNDS (!!) less than this new one. Superb pickups. I have long considered it to that the "sweetest voice" of any electric I have ever played. But "what if" it had a korina build AND that "acoustic" thing? And (oh yeah) added the binding the Redwood does NOT have. Not the least, the Redwood model is essentially a Dolphin, but with chambered body and redwood top, which means that it "fits me" better than any other guitar I have ever had.

(BTW, the Redwood has a different Haussel bridge pickup than the Dolphin, especially aimed towards semi-hollows. Little things do matter).

At that point, I knew what I wanted. But back to the question......"Why doublecut?" It was a bit of a coin toss. I do tend to like the singlecut for the reasons mentioned. And  the singlecut, if the guitar is made "right" does not limit me much when I DO play above the 15th fret. But I like the "symmetry" of Mike's doublecut. Besides, the SuperPro and Redwood are singlecut variations, so.......Why not change things up, just a LITTLE?

And, of course, Mighty Mike took all that input and made it reality. An AMAZING reality. With all else he did, I was almost surprised that he did not just fly (sans plane) all the way here to deliver it. 😀

For those that may not remember it, here is the former little beauty that helped inspire me so much.

Hamer Duo Ultimate.JPGHamer Duo Ultimate3.JPG

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, django49 said:

For those that may not remember it, here is the former little beauty that helped inspire me so much.

Hamer Duo Ultimate.JPGHamer Duo Ultimate3.JPG

I not only remember it, I played it years ago when it arrived at my house by accident, along with its korina Standard brother.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:41 PM, django49 said:

At risk of a belated sensory overload, Mike and Trish did follow up with their own pictures, which put mine to shame. But now I understand why it arrived slightly chilled. 🙄

I sound like a broken record, but it was hard for me to believe just how completely a brand new instrument could feel like such a familiar OLD friend. From the first moment I picked it up.

How Mike translated my very specific requests into a 3D reality is way beyond my comprehension. And completely exceeded my already high expectations.

shishkov41.jpgshishkov37.jpgshishkov36.jpgshishkov38.jpgshishkov42.jpg

What's that white stuff?

• 6 months later...

Archived