Hamer Fan Club Message Center

#87 Super-C

DBraz

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, edhohoho said:

Looks like a dream build. Will the back of the neck be glossy or satin? Any updates on the carved top?

It's a Wenge neck, so it'l likely be left unfinished/sealed.

15 hours ago, edhohoho said:

Looks like a dream build. Will the back of the neck be glossy or satin? Any updates on the carved top?

It is coming along beautifully.

It'll be unfinished save for a tiny bit of oil of Mike's choice.  The top carving will get underway soon enough.  Be assured I'll update here when it's underway.

1 hour ago, edhohoho said:

Does the former affect fret changes, improve the neck feel, or confer any other advantages? 

1. Makes fret changes difficult if the customer wants to keep the nibs with the refret. 

2. Some don’t like the feel of unbound fret ends. Some do. 

3. It looks great, but leaves less room for wide vibrato on the outside strings (if that’s your thing).

2 hours ago, edhohoho said:

I've never seen such nicely bound necks. Especially when the binding is shaped to the end of the frets as opposed to the frets going over the binding. Does the former affect fret changes, improve the neck feel, or confer any other advantages? 

For me fret nibs are always a plus.  

1). Personally I prefer the look.  The feel is neither here nor there to me.  I am not conscious of it when I play.

2).  I use wide vibrato A LOT but I have never run into problems with nibs.  I see the logic though.

3).  By the time I need a refret, and these are 55090’s so won’t wear quickly, I’ll go straight through the nibs.

• 2 weeks later...

That’s so cool - I can’t imagine what that’s going to look when it’s finished!

3 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

That’s so cool - I can’t imagine what that’s going to look when it’s finished!

I know...  It presents its own problems, if that’s the right word given the context of how wonderful it looks already, in that I am not fixed on a colour.  The korina will he left looking as nature intended but the top?  Still not 100% although a few ideas are calling me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Epic" is the understatement of the month, for sure.

6 minutes ago, DBraz said:

Me too!   😃  The thing is I have a bet that Mike looks forward to doing this.

I don't know... He's definitely a cooler customer than I am, but I'd wager he's a little relieved when it's done.
Makes you wonder how many guitar bodies one has to ruin when learning how to do that.

Archived