Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Three Electric/"Acoustic" Guitars For Sale (One sold)

So, the purge continues.....You might not be surprised that, when I find I like electric guitars with acoustic (piezo) flexibility, I just might overdo it. Judge for yourself.......

First, a "rather unique" Paul Reed Smith Hollowbody II. You will either love or hate the color. This one is an "Artist Package", which is a cut below the high end Private Stocks, but not necessarily a lot. A "better than 10 top" AND back. The Hollowbody model really is that. It is NOT a semi-hollow, having only posts underneath the bridge. This is a more recent version.....A BIG improvement over the originals (I had an original 1999). Better finish (eliminates the thick glop), 57/08 pickups rather than "Archtop" and upgraded piezo. A bit less toward "jazz", a bit more usable for live rock. A relatively smaller body, making it very comfortable for performing.

IMO, PRS has just about the best switching system I have found for separating/blending electric and "acoustic" sounds......Separate amps, or combine into a single amp with a single mono cord. Note that, unlike many PRSi. there is no pickup splitting.

OHSC (a good one!) and the guitar is as near to mint as you are likely to find. Let me ask for $3900.

38308069276_aedfb9cfce_b.jpg

38308069406_2f40477917_b.jpg

38308069546_df21fb4b15_b.jpg

24492028488_5e33813710_b.jpg

None more Bonnie Pink!

Second, another PRS, this stepping up to Private Stock quality. It is a DC-245, meaning a shorter (Gibson-like) scale. It has 59/09 pickups, which are the second iteration of "PAF replicas" from PRS. As the name implies (1959) they are just a touch hotter than the first (57/08s). This one has a 5 way switch which expands the sound options with 2 split pickup options. The Tiger Eye finish is one of my all time favorites (similar to three Hamer Talladegas I had). And applying it over a lovely quit top makes it all the better. Comes with the typical Private Stock Leather HSC.....Very sturdy and HEAVY.

It has essentially the same electronics as the HB II, except for the added versatility of coil splits. And the hotter pups with the excellent solid body setup do make it the more aggressive of the two.

I bought this new and it is in near mint condition. Asking $4900.

PRS PS Tiger Eye Burst 2.jpgPRS PS Tiger Eye Burst 6.jpgPRS PS Tiger Eye Burst 3.jpgPRS PS Tiger Eye Burst 4.jpgPRS PS Tiger Eye Burst 5.jpg

Finally, something a bit off the beaten track. Around about 2008-2009, a company back east decided to build guitars. The head of the outfit was actually a college prof and he assembled a group of folks to do this on the side. Did a pretty decent job, too. Here is a link to a review of the guitar that is very favorable (and convinced me to look for one) .

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Jarrett_Guitars_Zaffiro_XJ_Electric_Guitar_Review

41364998455_f5ff59d7a4_k.jpg

So, the "Pink Lady" is gone!

41364997465_5c66c65f08_k.jpg

41545614064_ce5b7e3bea_k.jpg

28393621188_d57e36c2ce_k.jpg

Looks something like a potato, no? Or a Les Paul that fell off the Weight Watchers wagon. It IS bigger than a Les Paul it jsut about every way, but chambered and not as heavy as you might think baed upon appearance. One caution, it has a very full neck, so if that turns you off......

There is a bit of history on this one. It was actually first supplied to a guitarist (Christopher Robin, believe it or don't!) to use until they got his "signature" model completed. Once upon a time, I had a picture of him playing it on stage with the Allman Brothers. Those were the days. But I digress.

This one is not exactly typical, as it has two separate push/pulls for coil splitting. A mini 3 way switch for choosing magnetic/piezo/both and a separate volume knob for rolling in/out the piezo. A very nice tweed type HSC.

I think you will have a hard time finding one like it. Now and then, one pops up, sometimes at a lower price. My  only caution is that when they threw in the towel, the leftover parts were sold at auction. I have seen a fair number assembled by someone other than the original folks and the results are often "not so good".

I should mention too that the pickups are from the "Duncan Custom Shop". Engraved as "Jarrettbuckers". I find them to be on the moderately hot, not overly so,  side. I actually plugged this in last night against my (slightly more costly) Huber Orca 59. IMO, the Zaffiro held it own quite well. Had I not so much stuff, and did not have a CO cooking, I reckon I'd be a bit more careful about letting it go.

Let me just throw out $1300 to start.

All prices include shipping (CONUS only, sorry), PayPal "friends". Please add fees if necessary. Posting here first, before proceeding to "them udder places" (Like the Farm Journal).

For comparison.....

41545614854_13d3bf4c24_k.jpg

41545614474_fd6b2cd9e2_k.jpg

Before you ask, "How can I let that quilted Private Stock go?"........This is keeping me occupied and there is too much redundancy.....

PRS Private Stock #4346 SC245 Signature Piezo 1.jpeg

Ever have one of those days? A guy came by to buy my Huber Orca yesterday. Decided he also liked one of my Scott Walkers, so he came back today to buy IT. While here, he decided he liked the PRS Hollowbody AND one other little toy I had laying about, so he went to the bank and got another large stack of bills to carry THEM off too.

I suspect he is tapped out, but if he wants to come back and buy four MORE, well, hurt me even more.......

(AFAIK he is NOT related to me, notwithstanding the tendency to succumb to a bout of GAS). 😉

That Pink PRS just gets better lookin' every time I look at the photos!  It reminds me of a pinker version of Salmon Blush, or perhaps it's a Peanut Patty Pinkburst (if you've ever grown up in the Southern and Southwestern US, you know what Peanut Patty Candy is!  https://www.texascooking.com/recipes/peanut_patties.htm )   Unfortunately I'm tapped right now, but GLWTS!

13 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

I get that all the time.

So do I....

40562924063_bf6b1d57fe_k.jpg

46613441785_29a3cf6b58_k.jpg

2 hours ago, Pieman said:

Don, at its height, just how many guitars did you have in your collection?  Did you have concerns about security, insurance, etc.?

I have not really kept much of a running total. Back before we left Los Angeles, I know it was around 100, that then being heavy on Gibsons (esp semi-hollows) and jazzboxes. I probably cut that by 2/3 around the time we moved north.

I did set up a "personal articles" insurance policy and I just update that when I buy or sell. FWIW, we do have a secure storage option.....Saves me from a lot of grief from the better half vs having too much stuff in the house at once. So, there is some rotation.

Then, as you might guess, I discovered THIS place. Which lead to a whole lot of Hamers and, indirectly, to a couple of other "H" brands from overseas. I know it went to something greater than 100 at one point. It does creep up on you, esp when the bulk of the number are not in the house. About 3 years ago, I conceded that it was silly and got serious about cutting back and have probably reduced the count by about 2 per month since. Acknowledging the problem helped lead to a  BIG improvement! The dozen sold in the past 2 months helps too. But I still stand by the "Six or Eight more to sell" mantra......(Never mind a handful of amps). The recent sales more than offset the recent incoming Shishkov. And I do still (MUCH less frequently) fall off the wagon. What can I say? I am a sucker for redwood.....

32565704417_5dbbf167bd_b.jpg

On 4/2/2019 at 12:00 PM, django49 said:

Ever have one of those days? A guy came by to buy my Huber Orca yesterday. Decided he also liked one of my Scott Walkers, so he came back today to buy IT. While here, he decided he liked the PRS Hollowbody AND one other little toy I had laying about, so he went to the bank and got another large stack of bills to carry THEM off too.

I suspect he is tapped out, but if he wants to come back and buy four MORE, well, hurt me even more.......

(AFAIK he is NOT related to me, notwithstanding the tendency to succumb to a bout of GAS). 😉

Did I say four more? Guess who came back today to buy the 5th one this week? AND, took some pictures of a couple PRS Private Stocks to forward to his friend in China who he thinks "might be interested".  Who knows? Maybe these will be hitting the road as well.....(The cheers you hear in the background are from my wife......)

47490720242_9e6896fb96.jpg

32600951547_f6dec53443_b.jpg

32600951457_17f29f92fa_t.jpg

Archived