Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Cool new band/one to watch alert - Black Coffee

These guys showed up on my Facebook feed today and I haven't seen mention of them on the board.

If you, like me, like the Greta Van Fleet thing more in principle than reality, i.e. I am aching for classic 70s arena rock but I don't necessarily want a 100 percent clone of what's already out there ... these guys may be a better "one to watch" investment of time and interest.

They just put out their first record on CD Baby.

Hmmm... I still prefer GVF, and as Hamerman mentioned, the Darkness, but this is definitely enough to put these guys on my "ones to watch" list.  Thanks for the suggestion.  It's hard to find good new music these days.  One that I like that never got anywhere was Supagroup which featured two brothers on guitar who were supposedly related to Bruce Lee somehow.

That was cool -- Black Coffee -- gotta like that! I'm gonna keep my eyes and ears on them.

I've been listening to Bat's Brew - also very 70's inspired -- think Queen meets ABB, with a modern rock flair...

I did an album review for them here http://www.dogsoverlava.com/bats-brew-trouble-album-review/

This is what I said about the above song:

When “Trouble” finally hits, the album rises to an entirely new level. The slide guitar and the acoustics; the layered vocals, the rhythms – all create an exotic soundscape that is very native-American and layered with so much depth and swamp that you could imagine it being played on a porch in the bayou or on the open desert plains. I thought of Stevie Salass excellent work with Colourcode here, as well as his solo stuff. I don’t know if Rob has any blood quantum with Native Americans or cultural roots here, but he certainly displays a deep understanding and sensitivity to the ethnocentric rhythms of the Southern Tribes. This song in particular is so rich in that way that I would find it nearly undeniable.  And of course – Trouble is something we can all relate to. There’s a vocal line in the song that immediately took me back to my first marriage and it’s collapse 25 years ago: “She said she’d take me down…“. (I had one of those too Rob. She told me the same thing to my face and then she nearly did take me down). Later “she laid [him] right out in the trouble…” I so identified with this song I wanted to call up my therapist — it’s been 25 years but she’s still on retainer.  If only I’d put my own experiences to song back then I might have saved myself a lot of work

I really liked the Winery Dogs, and also Richie Kotzen solo is great to me. They had/have something about them, that I enjoyed without the usual 70's fashion that comes with all those "retro rock" bands and also less Zep... Doyle Bramhall II also was a great show live, his keyboarder/guitarist Adam Minkoff was great. Bramhall and Kotzen both have many instrumental passages that remind me of the 70's bands. It's not about visual appearance.

Has anyone kept up with Scorpion Child.  Sadly, my opportunities to see them were always at the wrong place and wrong time, so I have not seen them live yet. 

I just saw Ghost again.  With two additional band members and a "new" leader they are the hot ticket right now.

2 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

I just saw Ghost again.  With two additional band members and a "new" leader they are the hot ticket right now.

I'm looking forward to their new album.  I've had a couple of chances to see them in a small theater and passed.  If I get the chance again, I'm going to make an effort to be there.

On 5/23/2018 at 8:22 AM, Jeff R said:

These guys showed up on my Facebook feed today and I haven't seen mention of them on the board.

If you, like me, like the Greta Van Fleet thing more in principle than reality, i.e. I am aching for classic 70s arena rock but I don't necessarily want a 100 percent clone of what's already out there ... these guys may be a better "one to watch" investment of time and interest.

They just put out their first record on CD Baby.

That’s pretty cool! I love a power trio with a singing bassist, bad ass.

Be interesting to see if they develop lyrically and/or musically.

I dig that, a lot. 

@Steve Haynie - Love Scorpion Child.  I regret not crossing paths with them and Dixie Witch in Austin back when we were doing a lot of the same thing.  It never seemed like there were any good hard rock bands around in 2005-2010, then I move and find out that two new favs were in my backyard. 

Great stuff! Would be great to hear them more often.

Archived