Hamer Fan Club Message Center

For the Love of Seafoam

4 minutes ago, FGJ said:

What's wrong with the pickups and bridge in the pics? They look fine.

I bought it last year and am undecided on which pickups to use.  Also I want a traditional Tele bridge, not the modern 6 saddle type.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was holding off until it was finished but since @Stike asked and since she's almost complete, here y'all go ... the pimping of a 1987 Chap for HFC'er and damn good friend "gwayne" @gwayne Gary. Stikealiciousness from the paint booth mixed with me doing my thing under the hood. She's received a full fretboard overhaul with Jescar 57110s and we got her original pups and harness back up and running with a sweet setup. That's a brand new German-made "1984" series Floyd with oversized bell brass block. Now awaiting her new custom ordered Duncan Parallel Axis HSS setup (!), some black hardware appointments and a nice case for her return trip. First pic is arrival, second pic is in Stike's booth, the rest are on my bench. I like the last photo - I like to think me and Stike make a good team. FYI, this color is INSANELY hard to photograph, it goes from seafoam green to seafoam blue depending on the time of day and the type and angle in which light sources hit it. And all the hues are just gorgeous. Every client who walks into the shop right now swoons over it, they absolutely love it. I will be sad when this one leaves the shop.  :)

27783812_10215102104376807_1392861829_n.jpg

31959350_10215109985770500_8740498780844982272_n.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

9 hours ago, Jeff R said:

I was holding off until it was finished but since @Stike asked and since she's almost complete, here y'all go ... the pimping of a 1987 Chap for HFC'er and damn good friend "gwayne" @gwayne Gary. Stikealiciousness from the paint booth mixed with me doing my thing under the hood. She's received a full fretboard overhaul with Jescar 57110s and we got her original pups and harness back up and running with a sweet setup. That's a brand new German-made "1984" series Floyd with oversized bell brass block. Now awaiting her new custom ordered Duncan Parallel Axis HSS setup (!), some black hardware appointments and a nice case for her return trip. First pic is arrival, second pic is in Stike's booth, the rest are on my bench. I like the last photo - I like to think me and Stike make a good team. FYI, this color is INSANELY hard to photograph, it goes from seafoam green to seafoam blue depending on the time of day and the type and angle in which light sources hit it. And all the hues are just gorgeous. Every client who walks into the shop right now swoons over it, they absolutely love it. I will be sad when this one leaves the shop.  :)

IMG_1138.jpg

This has been such a fun project. When I saw Matt's @bruce919 ad for it, I knew it needed to be resurrected. @Stike and @Jeff R have been the absolute best to work with. I appreciate it so much guys. Can't wait to get this back to Georgia.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:55 PM, crunchee said:

I kinda wish the topic of Seafoam Green guitars hadn't popped up again here on the HFC, as it made me aware of 'em once more...coincidentally, this Chandler Metro Baritone, probably from the 1990's or early 2000's, showed up on the DGS website today, and got my attention.  It'll arrive at my house sometime next week:

http://davesguitar.com/products/chandler/metro-baritone/

Also coincidentally, there is a red Chandler Metro Baritone that got put up on Reverb about a week ago (which I didn't know about until this evening, after I ordered the Seafoam one and started digging for Chandlers), and the store in California that it's at wants WAY more $ for it.  I think I'll make do with the Seafoam one, thanks very much!

So are you bored with it yet? 😎

I've been trolling for baritones but can't make up my mind. The price ranges for the single coil baritones seem to heavily occupy the very low cheap end and the very high end. 

On 6/28/2018 at 8:25 AM, LordsoftheJungle said:

So are you bored with it yet? 😎

I've been trolling for baritones but can't make up my mind. The price ranges for the single coil baritones seem to heavily occupy the very low cheap end and the very high end. 

Baritone guitars, baritone scale lengths, and baritone guitar models are all over the map, from what I've seen nowadays.  The most popular recent types seem to be the ones that have a scale length that is friendlier to guitar players (26 1/2-27 1/2 inch scale length).  It also seems to me that players often look for a 'baritone' guitar that can easily be converted to, and do double duty on, 'drop' tuning.  That being said, this particular website is the only one I could find that actually gave decent/usuable tuning guidance for baritone guitar in B,  the example given being played ON an actual baritone guitar similar to mine (click on the separate 'notes' and listen to the guitar tuner section to hear it)...and NO, it wasn't the first baritone tuning website that popped up on a Google search:

https://www.gtdb.org/beadfsb

The Chandler baritone I got is kinda quirky (somebody else might say it's got 'character'), but I like it because it is quirky.  It's got a 30 1/4" scale length, and It came to me strung up with really heavy strings, like what might be found on a vintage Fender Bass VI...the lowest/thickest string looked to me like about an 0.80 size, and I didn't dare tune the guitar to B until I got MUCH lighter gauge strings...in fact, I didn't even TRY to tune it to 'bass' low E with those strings.  The guitar's got a Strat-style trem, and came with FIVE trem springs already installed (I think that's the max it can even have!), hooked up to the trem block.  It's kinda funny, all those trem springs do seem to vibrate sympathetically when the guitar is played, but not in a bad way...it's kinda like on-board natural reverb, and maybe it's wishful thinking, but the vibrations seem to come through/with the amp signal in a subtle way!  Right now, I'm using a set of D'Addario EXL 158s (the 13-62 set, the guitar's tuned to B), the light-gauge baritone guitar string set that is also good (according to D'Addario) for drop tunings on shorter-scale guitars; and my guitar seems to be happy with them without needing much of a setup at all.  I did first try the EXL 157 (the 14-68 set) medium-gauge baritone guitar string set briefly, but I didn't like tuning the guitar any higher than A with that particular string gauge, as it started lifting the trem bridge a little higher than I'd like when tuned to B, and I didn't feel like trying to adjust the trem string tension (not with five trem springs!).  I might put those strings back on, if I ever feel like tuning down to the E to A range, down in the bass guitar register.

As far as choosing which baritone guitar to get, my advice is to try as many as you can, in as many different scale lengths as you can, before you buy.  I kinda lucked out on what I have, it might not be for everyone but it suits me just fine!  At least for now, anyway.

Since Serial hasn't weighed in, this is an old shot of a bunch of stuff he owned years ago...

FSM Greenies.jpg

On 7/1/2018 at 11:12 PM, cmatthes said:

Since Serial hasn't weighed in, this is an old shot of a bunch of stuff he owned years ago...

FSM Greenies.jpg

And he LOVES when that photo ends up on Facebook and other forums posted by strangers!

I have to keep fighting my urge to get a G&L Doheny in that color. G&L though seems to have two greens like that. Their "Surf Green" is very light, while their "Belair Green" is on the darker side.

It is a nice color.. I just know that eventually it would grate on my nerves.

• 5 months later...
On 5/29/2018 at 7:00 AM, kizanski said:

Still planning on doing something with this.

P5070030.JPG

P5070033.JPG

I just need a neck, some pickups and a bridge and I'll be all set.

SFG Update:

20181123_111349.jpg

20181104_133016.jpg.

fackoff.JPG

Archived