Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Wooden It Be Loverly

Early morning wake up call from abroad.....(Not A broad).

Yeah, that might work! Maybe I can get a matching piece of wood for a jewelry box.......

ETA....Maybe this would make a good tribute to Neil Young if nicknamed "My Cinnamon Burl".

hartung enigma burl3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A wonderful early morning wake up call, from Queenie, the Redhead Burl-esque star. Yes, it is burled redwood.

When will she arrive? Ah, THAT is the Enigma!

hartung enigma 5.jpeghartung enigma 6.jpeghartung enigma 7.jpeg

starting 1 on the far left my money is on 6.  4 is wild!  Beautiful but not for this body,🍻😎

Somehow, redwood sorta flies under the radar as a tonewood. But it is well worth checking out. We actually have several "Giant Sequoias" in the back 40 (I plantd a bunch as seedlings and they are growing fast), but I am pretty sure none will be harvested during my lifetime. Let alone become part of a guitar.

Too bad this guy is no longer talking orders!

Myka Dragonfly.jpg

On 6/15/2018 at 4:26 PM, Caddie said:

starting 1 on the far left my money is on 6.  4 is wild!  Beautiful but not for this body,🍻😎

Number 5 would also work with the burl.
The rest have too much going on and distract from the body.

• 1 month later...

Okay, so the LAST one was "inspirational"......Now come shots of the current build. As Rod Serling might have said, "Picture if you will....." A pair of woodbucker pickups with exposed ebony bobbins and surrounds with gold screws to go with the gold frets, ebony knobs and switch tip. One part of me said his unique "dragon" inlays would be wild, the other said "too much". So, simple abalone dots set into that dark ebony.

What a way to end the week!hartung Enigma Aug3.jpghartung Enigma Aug4.jpg

So, why am I suddenly thinking of Burl Ives?

The piezo bridge is a great idea! I really like that. Great top any way.

Edging towards the "finish line", one step at a time.....Will soon sport the Ghost wraparound bridge system.

.hartung Enigma Aug5.JPGhartung Enigma Aug6.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I was fearful that the finish might turn out a bit too dark. It appears I was worried needlessly.

I do believe Mr. H captured exactly what I had pictured in my poor little brain when we selected the woods. He says it is ALMOST finished. And that the long scale, chambered body, fat neck and other features make it sound "rather good".

I have a sense a few other things will be posted for sale very soon.....

hartung Enigma Sept1.jpeghartung Enigma Sept2.jpeghartung Enigma Sept3.jpeg

2 hours ago, vicjoy1945 said:

Gorgeous !!!  And I see what ya did there with yer "fair" thread title !!!

Some people have probably noted that my posts may be o-pun to inter-fret-ation.

Speaking of "My Fair Lady", is it rude when she turns her back to me?

Hartung Enigma  Sept15.JPG

Hartung Enigma  Sept17.JPG

BTW, one of the not so obvious details......Access to the truss rod adjustment at the 22nd fret....

Hartung Enigma  Sept12.JPG

She will be on exhibition at Guitar Summit 2018 in Germany this weekend, then, hopefully without too much further delay,  heading stateside.

3 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Are you going to play that guitar or just stare at it all day?  Either one would be fun.

Well, Steve.....That there is the $64 question, init? Or maybe it is the $640 "ding-nabit!" question.

It IS true that very many of the "nice" guitars, be they fancy, rare or otherwise expensive DON'T get played. After buying (and selling) dozens of guitars here, I guess I have stopped being amazed at how many great instruments (many, but certainly not only, Hamers) go on to a third or fourth or higher number owner and still look nearly unplayed. Not that they haven't been touched, but they have been carefully taken care of. I have lost track of how many people have said something to the effect of, "It is my dream guitar, but I am afraid that I will bang it up and it will lose value". Or some variation like, "I am not worthy of such a great instrument".

Well, TBH, I am not worthy of such a great instrument. Certainly not based upon my skill level. 😉But I long since decided that if I was afraid to take it out of the case and use it, I should not own it. None of mine are hanging on the wall or in "museum" display cases. (If you spent years with an overactive son that loved to play soccer in the house, you would KNOW one reason they never were left hanging on the wall!)

About 3 years ago, I decided I would start cutting loose a bunch of my excess "assets". I have made pretty good progress, all in all. And that has helped on other fronts, like the desire to be encumbered by less STUFF and do more charitable giving. I don't feel any compulsion to cut back to 3 or 4 instruments, but at least the number is somewhat more justifiable. Anyway, with all the reductions, a bit over a year ago, I decided to do something I have rarely done-----Commission a custom order. (Well, it ended up being two). Usually, I buy used. For all the obvious reasons.

However, I decided there were certain things that just work better for me. This guitar, appearances possibly to the contrary, was inspired by what I thought to be the best parts of THREE excellent but very different Hamer guitars.....A CO SuperPro, that "Ultimate" DuoTone and an Earthen Maple Studio Custom. In fact, the actual last "gig" I played was using that particular DuoTone, plugged into two different amps. So, my INTENT was to get all the stuff I thought would best suit me for playing live, with a lot of flexibility built into a single instrument. Well, it may be a moot point as, shortly after the orders were placed, the "Gratefully Not (Yet) Dead" band died. 🙄

Anyway, my intent is definitely to play it. And I am preparing for another round of sales of other gear, including a couple guitars I often swore would never leave. Things do change. Once (if)  they clear "waivers" from the folks with longstanding "dibs", I will post them here.

Mind you, I doubt that I will get tired of looking at it. And I am bracing myself for a request from my son......After he saw my (former) Birdseye Maple Hamer a while back, he knew what he wanted for Christmas from my shop. I suspect he will be looking for a piece of figured redwood and sketching up new ideas......Well, WTH, it keeps me off the streets.....

Archived