Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Weezer cover Toto

• 1 month later...

Can’t believe Pixies are supporting these guys on their current tour? Even Radiohead  refused to follow pixies when they found themselves on the same bill. Saying that’s like the Beatles opening up for us.

14 hours ago, JimiH said:

Can’t believe Pixies are supporting these guys on their current tour? Even Radiohead  refused to follow pixies when they found themselves on the same bill. Saying that’s like the Beatles opening up for us.

It’s co-headlined, alternating closers. 

I missed their show in Toronto. I love Weezer’s cover of Veloria. I wonder if they shared the stage for that song in any capacity. 

6 hours ago, Sugartune said:

It’s co-headlined, alternating closers. 

I missed their show in Toronto. I love Weezer’s cover of Veloria. I wonder if they shared the stage for that song in any capacity. 

Maybe co headlining in name but weezer follow pixies at each show

2 hours ago, JimiH said:

Maybe co headlining in name but weezer follow pixies at each show

I'm sure the Pixies are fine getting a payday and not walking out to 1/4 full amphitheater, which is what would happen if they were closing.  That next show is a 20k-seater, and all respect to the Pixies, but, right or wrong, they'd have trouble putting 20k people into any venue even on a one off show after years of hiatus, much less holding 20k in Salt Lake City following Weezer on a multi-city tour.  It wasn't that hard to get a ticket to see them in Austin last summer at a venue that only held 2200.   That thing with Radiohead was at Coachella almost 15 years ago, and arguably a very different Coachella at that.  That's fine for a festival, but no promoter in his or her right mind is going to get stuck with one of the dates the Pixies close and watch most of  the convenience and merch sales leave the venue after the second act. 

Shows already run on a razor thin margin at these venues, and if you are the person booking said shed, you can't let your fandom outpace your business sense.  I have a buddy that is the GM of a larger venue in the Memphis/North MS area, and when he comes to talk to my classes when once in a blue moon I get to teach music promotion, that is one of his main rules.  I believe the worst he ever did was a date on the Plant/Page tour back in the 90s where he let his love of Led Zep get in front of his common sense about the market he's in. 

And I'm not a Weezer fanboy by any stretch of the imagination.  As far as my tastes run, they have one album I think is fantastic followed by decades of disappointment.  But the economics of sheds are what they are, and I imagine the Pixies are earning a nice little payday out of the whole thing, perhaps more than they would do headlining a bunch of theaters and music halls on their own. 

Yep I fully understand the numbers and know this could not have happened any other way. Pixies are one of those bands who should have been massive but ultimately the bands they influenced became massive instead. U2, Radiohead, Nirvana to name a few. Velvet underground spring to mind too as a very influential band who did not make it big

Geoff

Rosanna is an epic tune. Named our daughter, who was born in 1982, after it.

I think there's a problem with covering epic tunes. Only real masters should do that. Like Toto's cover of "While my guitar gently weeps" or Larry Carlton's cover of "Layla" or SRV covering Jimi's tunes.

Don't touch any of those epic tunes if you don't have to add something substantial to it and thus justify covring it.

Oh, that's just my opinion, after all...

22 hours ago, JimiH said:

Yep I fully understand the numbers and know this could not have happened any other way. Pixies are one of those bands who should have been massive but ultimately the bands they influenced became massive instead. U2, Radiohead, Nirvana to name a few. Velvet underground spring to mind too as a very influential band who did not make it big

Geoff

Happens a lot. 

That said, Weezer wasn’t exactly drawing huge sellouts either, which is why I suspect their Pixies paired concerts in our areas were selling GA tickets on Groupon.

6 minutes ago, Sugartune said:

Happens a lot. 

That said, Weezer wasn’t exactly drawing huge sellouts either, which is why I suspect their Pixies paired concerts in our areas were selling GA tickets on Groupon.

Yeah, considering what Weezer has done to themselves in the last 10 years, 15k-20k seaters seems ambitious. 

23 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

Yeah, considering what Weezer has done to themselves in the last 10 years, 15k-20k seaters seems ambitious. 

I think critically, yeah, but they have shat out some “hits” with consistent airplay. Someone’s listening.

Ok confession time, I was playing the “when someone requests a Jimi  Hendrix song” YouTube vid when my daughter asked what’s that. I said you know let’s say you where on stage and someone asked for teenage dirtbag by weezer. She said ermmm that’s wheatus 😳. So yes I was thinking the teenage dirtbag guys where headlining over Pixies 😩

Archived