Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Guitar Shopping

Just got some 'DISPOSABLE income...................so went shopping today at some guitar stores. Here is what I found .....................a HAMER of all things,  A Hamer Studio[2002?] with a beautiful pin stripe top and it is in pristine condition[Well OK little ding to the finish to wood by the serial number] as new really with the OHSC,,slimmer taper neck but VERY nice sounding ,lots of bite, real responsive guitar...........no wiggle room on the price. 1999 Gibson Les Paul "CLASSIC" Goldtop great looking guitar all stock except Grovers have replaced the Klusons, Its a beast that plays and sounds great, way heavier than the Hamer and the neck is chunky not like the others I have played in the past that have the slim  profile neck, it has those ceramic PUPS which in this guitar to my ears REALLY sound great through the DR Z  I was using,This one was the guitar I played the most.....has those snot green inlays but what a guitar! Consigned with a little wiggle room. Last but not least was Cardinal red 1965 Gibson Melody Maker. HUGE neck and HUGE sound[2 PUP model] that guitar just SCREAMED![The Pat TRavers Axe!] and it was light as a feather and it was in great shape, bridge is a replacement ,not sure about the knobs.OSC close to 2K for that guitar. Real nIce though!...............just a monster player. Now let's see................. which one do I get............................feed back on all the guitars would be appreciated.At this point I'm leaning toward the Les Paul.The Hamer is a beauty though and while I'd like the MM I'd have to take some bank money out for that one................the others are both in my pocket change range, with no other extra funds added.Dilemma! Pics of the Hamer.r1lc7lv.jpgGorTooD.jpgxXVIVqQ.jpgImittum.jpgb31W2Gp.jpg No pics of the MM sorry a guy took it in the back and I had to leave to get home........to ponder??????

You can buy LP Classics all day every day and even a Hamer Studio is not that hard of a piece to snag at a fair to great price, particularly with the hooks ups here.

But a screaming Cardinal Red '65 MM that you were bonding with immediately?  I'd show the seller this link showing current real-world exchange rates  https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/2222-gibson-melody-maker-d-1965-cherry and I'd have a flat $1K in cash in my pocket. He may bite!

54 minutes ago, Jeff R said:

You can buy LP Classics all day every day and even a Hamer Studio is not that hard of a piece to snag at a fair to great price, particularly with the hooks ups here.

But a screaming Cardinal Red '65 MM that you were bonding with immediately?  I'd show the seller this link showing current real-world exchange rates  https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/2222-gibson-melody-maker-d-1965-cherry and I'd have a flat $1K in cash in my pocket. He may bite!

Yeah that neck is KILLER DiLLER!..............................ALL over from top to bottom. One guy there who buys lots of guitars from them said if they didn't have the price so high I would not have been playing it as he would be the new owner.Love the GOLDTOP Classic but the best playing and sounding guitar IS the Melody Maker,and its set up perfect.......MONSTER! BUT the price is quite as you say out of hand. Crap I did not notice it before but if you look at this photo its the RED guitar in the extreme upper left hand corner..............................did not notice this till just now but that is it.Imittum.jpg

I like the lp classic.   Can’t remember but don’t the 90’s versions have the bridge posts directly in the wood? Better tone imho Larger neck profile is also plus in my book.       Melody maker sounds cool but $2000, haggling to a decent price seems like a lot of work.  

For me I'd go Gibson Goldtop.

I couldn't own the MM because of the huge neck.

If the neck suits you and the tone is there, the MM should be the one that goes home with you.

Gary you don't want to look back and kick yourself because you passed on the MM.

Don't let that MM haunt you because you might need to take a few $$$ out of the bank.

Good luck Gary which ever way you decide to go.

8 hours ago, Carl.B said:

I know where you have been! 😁 

I may have to head down there today and take a look around and see what pique's my interest.  

Carl

Hi Carl, Yeah I know you know.......................I have bought, sold, traded................ done a ton of deals with PETE over the years. Go have a look at the store but I'll tell you this, there is one Les Paul missing from the wall. sorry for the dusty HS pic.................that will go away very soon,just shot these quick photos.pLRGkOX.jpgISfnmAe.jpgkS2lB7O.jpgHwuBpoh.jpg

Nice score I lusted after that Hamer until I felt the neck. 

I had an LP classic they got a bad rap because of the inlays and pickups, but I loved mine. Hard to go wrong with a goldtop!

Congrats Gary!!!!!

That's the choice I would have made.

I've been on the lookout for a nice Gibson Goldtop like yours for a long while.

I'll eventually stumble upon a good deal on one.

Enjoy that beauty Gary!!!

Hi guys and thanks for the thumbs up on the "CLASSIC" GOLDTOP its in EX++++ condition [Case is in great condition as well} for a almost 20 year old guitar...............this one being made in 1999.The Melody Maker is a really cool guitar and it sounds HUGE  but after playing it again and looking at both the Classic LP and the Melody Maker and considering all the  pluses and minuses the "Classic" was the guitar for me. I know they made tons of these through the years but after playing a bunch from the 90s and also some newer ones I think the older guitars are better put together and sound better. I did play a recent one........................... 2017 CSB and that one did really sound great but it was NFS,in any case I got what I was looking for with this guitar and I have not owned a Gibson Les Paul of any kind for 17 years!,so I feel pretty lucky to have scored this one. I liked the Hamer "STUDIO" and you could see it was really a beautiful guitar and had a high build quality  about it and it really sounded nasty...............but in a good way.................. sure it will sell to a happy new owner who will love it.The neck shape and size was just not what I was looking for although it was super easy to play, a very nice guitar, just not my guitar.

3 hours ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

Hi guys and thanks for the thumbs up on the "CLASSIC" GOLDTOP its in EX++++ condition [Case is in great condition as well} for a almost 20 year old guitar...............this one being made in 1999.The Melody Maker is a really cool guitar and it sounds HUGE  but after playing it again and looking at both the Classic LP and the Melody Maker and considering all the  pluses and minuses the "Classic" was the guitar for me. I know they made tons of these through the years but after playing a bunch from the 90s and also some newer ones I think the older guitars are better put together and sound better. I did play a recent one........................... 2017 CSB and that one did really sound great but it was NFS,in any case I got what I was looking for with this guitar and I have not owned a Gibson Les Paul of any kind for 17 years!,so I feel pretty lucky to have scored this one. I liked the Hamer "STUDIO" and you could see it was really a beautiful guitar and had a high build quality  about it and it really sounded nasty...............but in a good way.................. sure it will sell to a happy new owner who will love it.The neck shape and size was just not what I was looking for although it was super easy to play, a very nice guitar, just not my guitar.

Glad you're happy.  Looks great.  You know, it's easy for us to shop with your money.  

Archived