Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Finished my Rough Draft of Ten Years Gone

I started working on the final version now that this is finished. The purpose of doing two complete versions is that the Draft version is burdened by me learning the parts and figuring out how I'm going to record the song so there are lots of production based decisions and cumbersome process stuff that gets in the way of the performances and slows everything down. I'm in the process of making my final notes on this one so I can start capturing the final performances but I thought you guys might like to hear what the Draft version ended up sounding like. It's still a little rough and loose - the final version will be much tighter I hope. You've heard some of this it bits and bites before from me.

I've got a list of "needs improvement" for the final version here: http://www.thestairwayproject.com/ten-years-gone-the-scratch-tracks/

If anything jumps out at you as needing attention - particularly with respect to accuracy and arrangement please feel free to let me know.

Many thanks.

Nice work.

I think you really nailed the layering and parts, especially for the guitar and bass. The bending down (?) high lead part at the very end could be brought fwd a little

Drum part sound very close, too hit for hit -  I would probably suggest using more of the room/overheads on the drum mix - (the snare pops out a bit - sounds like each drum was a bit isolated)

but ...hell that's just nit-picking ....Impressive job!

Did you use a live drummer mic’d, or samples? Did you use a Click?

You can actually find Glyn Johns-produced Bonham isolated drum tracks out there, to use as the best reference.

Depending on how deep you go in for editing, you can also replace live tracks with amazing samples.

but either way-

Keep doing cool stuff!

Archived