Hamer Fan Club Message Center

This

Cent project's back from Stike and the tech. Plays/feels great, looks better!

IMG_6063.jpg

Cent2.jpg

Cent3.jpg

Cent5.jpg

CentJ.jpg

CentJ3.jpg

Is that a Centura? I don't remember Centuras having a single coil in the bridge. 

Looks great. Now all you need is a green, sparkly Escalade with 27 inch rims to wrap around it. 

1 hour ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

Is that a Centura? I don't remember Centuras having a single coil in the bridge.

But.... but..... but...

The single coil is in the neck position, isn't it?

Nah. Even I have my limits.  :P Especially when my gigging days are numbered...

Having finally carved out a substantial amount of time to put the Cent thru it's paces, I gotta say, it's a sweet f-ing ride! The neck feels a tad smaller in profile than the Cali's but no less awesome. Stike's satin finish is the absolute sh*t! While I love me an oiled neck, this is truly the best of both worlds in that I feel there's a modicum of protection between the wood and outside environmental and hand-borne agents that might otherwise grime it up.

The SS jumbo frets are a no-brainer and definitely add to this beauty's appeal. The locking trem is what you'd expect of a newer Schaller, albeit a tad less responsive than those on my Cali's. It still flutters decently and is more than capable of handling all the various Schlock and Roll cliches I employ.

There have been a few comments here and elsewhere about the pole pieces on the JB not lining up- i.e. needing a F-spaced HB in the bridge, but I just don't feel the need for it. I'm gonna chalk that up to some minor OCD or a bit of preoccupation with optimal tone chasing out there. I wanted a more vintage sound & feel and I went with that JB-L.  It was a good call. The only tweak it needs is to be about 2 mm higher. Outside of that, it's warm and responsive, with a nice low end punchiness and a smoother, mellower tone than the newer JB's. It's mellower character forces me to push my technique(s) when trying to coax certain responses out of her. Not necessarily a bad thing.

The Sustainiac is lots of fun and the addition of a momentary kill switch in the tone pot makes this a fun and versatile ax, one I'm going to enjoy playing this weekend- her first gig with me.

I'll admit I prefer the look of the pole pieces lined up, but if they're not, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.  Since there was another thread, I thought I'd just give you a hard time about it.  Sounds like another cool project.  

Saw this from Summer NAMM and looked to see if it was called the Diablo model:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SSLEM1888--charvel-super-stock-limited-edition-model-1888-dark-brown-sunburst

Not green, but they have to leave something for you to tweak. 

6 minutes ago, scottcald said:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SSLEM1888--charvel-super-stock-limited-edition-model-1888-dark-brown-sunburst

I've been responding to this bit of news on various FB sites/pages. My initial response is,  "Meh."  Not impressed. While the Shark fin inlays and reversed head stock are nice, the color is hideous though, admittedly, not a major impediment to me and my predilection for painting axes.  And if the 22 frets wasn't a deal killer, the blade switch and FRT1000 are. Too much work (and $$$) for a $1000.00 Mexi-Shredder.  If that had 24 frets or at least the neck p'up positioned further back to be able to shoehorn in an extended fret board with 2 more frets, I might consider it.

3 hours ago, scottcald said:

Basically a rehash of the Model 88. A good friend of mine got a Model 88 brand new BITD, and I thought that era of imported Charvels proved the snobs wrong regarding the quality of MIJ guitars.  

A fan of the band who is also rather enamored with the new Cent!

The Cent performed better than admirably last night! The tone is to die for!  Not sure if it's the mojo of the older JB-L  p'up( seriously challenges the  veracity/necessity of strings aligned over pole pieces via Trembucker, F-spaced HB's) or the mojo of Hamer construction or both but it played and sounded absolutely kickass!!  New go-to ax for gigs- perfect for classic hard rock and hair metal tunes!

Cent VFW2.png

• 2 weeks later...

Archived