Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: '96 Studio @ Dave's Guitar

They claim to have a standard of conduct on The Rear Page, but buying a guitar online and putting a For Sale ad up for the same guitar before you even receive it and raping your "brethren" with a 50% up-charge for it is totally ok.

I'll never begrudge someone from trying to make a buck, but spare me the "Grab it now before I change my mind!" horseshit.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hbom said:

I suppose I'll be getting a boot note from TGP soon. I asked some of the tough questions.

NO! I did not ask about the acoustic  voice.

Nothing wrong with a lil' trolling over there now and then... 😛

"Had to repost this as a couple of members, for reasons unknown, decided to comment on matters they know nothing about."

As I've said in the past, they have a different style of "moderating" over there.
Call out a seller for discrepancies and misinformation (read: LIES), even in the most middle-of-the-road, innocuous manner, and everyone will jump all over your shit. Then they will delete YOUR post(s) and leave all of the ones where everyone calls you a jerkoff, all the while advising you that there is a code of conduct which you need to follow.

And as for "knowing nothing about" the guitar in question, I'm a motherfucking expert, just like another dozen guys here.

...and to that point...

3 minutes ago, MCChris said:

I'll ping the Matthi: @serial @cmatthes  

Did any of the wraparound Studios leave the factory with a bridge other than a Wilkinson?

I know of one Hamer which came with a straight across, plain ol' bar tailpiece, and that was the SuperPro they built for Rick with the Beatles motif which he used for the Sgt. Pepper thing years ago.
There may have been others, but I have never seen a stock Hamer - Studio or otherwise - with a wrapper that wasn't a Wilkinson.

While I'll never be an expert on the subject, I think I may have been one of those fellows that "for reasons unknown, decided to comment on matters they know nothing about."

Commenting on matters I know nothing about is one of my favorite things to do  on The Internet. It's how I learn.

In this case I learned that when confronted with the truth, people lower their asking price!

Mission accomplished.

:D

25 minutes ago, Hbom said:

While I'll never be an expert on the subject, I think I may have been one of those fellows that "for reasons unknown, decided to comment on matters they know nothing about."

Commenting on matters I know nothing about is one of my favorite things to do  on The Internet. It's how I learn.

In this case I learned that when confronted with the truth, people lower their asking price!

Mission accomplished.

:D

Unknown?  The problems were that sketchy behavior was apparent.

What's not to know that the pics he used were not attributed to Dave's when he first posted his ad.  And he acknowledged he used someone else's pics when he posted the second ad.   Be transparent so that potential buyers know that the pics being used may not actually represent the condition of the guitar in hand.  

BTW.  I'm not aware of any '96 Studio that had anything but a wilkie out the door.  Who knows, maybe the one on it is an upgrade?  But don't represent it as something it's not.  I'm glad you asked the question.  I thought that was fair. 

2 hours ago, kizanski said:

There may have been others, but I have never seen a stock Hamer - Studio or otherwise - with a wrapper that wasn't a Wilkinson.

Yes, there were a few with Tonepros either straight or intonatable wraptails:

special-jr-korina-009.jpg?w=450&h=299

200807_hamerpro_1.jpg

fbi-in-finishing-018.jpg?w=450&h=300

watson-assembly-018.jpg?w=450&h=300

special1.jpg

10 minutes ago, burningyen said:

special1.jpg

This one could be mine.  Trans cherry over korina, Tonepros adjustable wrapper.  The cert says it was a custom run for Willcutt's; I wonder how many there are.

1 hour ago, soli'd said:

This one could be mine.  Trans cherry over korina, Tonepros adjustable wrapper.  The cert says it was a custom run for Willcutt's; I wonder how many there are.

Nah, I was the first owner and bought it new from Gryphon, pretty sure it was mahogany:

p1020344.jpg

On 7/3/2018 at 6:57 AM, kizanski said:

I'm gonna teach you something, Jef.

You take the simple, solid, bar wrapper tailpiece, the one which 4 out of 5 Dentists prefer, and you remove some metal from the treble side of the bridge where it contacts the posts.
As you mentioned, Hamers' posts are straight across, so this counters that.
Then you take that silly lightning bolt bridge and throw it into the fucking woods.

The photo below is of my BCR Junior after I had prepped it for Tommy Williams to borrow for a Hooters gig.
He needed a Junior as his gear was already on an airplane for a European tour. His Junior has a bridge with adjustable saddles, because he's a stickler for intonation, and his intention was to swap my bridge while he used the guitar and then put it all back together when he was done.

After checking out the guitar, he said that the intonation was perfect and there was no need to do anything further.

You're welcome.

20150530_161155.jpeg

You taught me something, and I ain’t even Jeff! I love cool DIY solutions.  What did you use o remove the metal? A round file?

44 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

You taught me something, and I ain’t even Jeff! I love cool DIY solutions.  What did you use o remove the metal? A round file?

I have used a drill press at times and I have a stationary base for my Dremmel tool. Either one should do the trick.

If you do it just right, you can have the bridge sit flush against the posts without the set screws.

20 hours ago, burningyen said:

special-jr-korina-009.jpg?w=450&h=299

200807_hamerpro_1.jpg

fbi-in-finishing-018.jpg?w=450&h=300

watson-assembly-018.jpg?w=450&h=300

special1.jpg

Good to know. But other than the FB and maybe that Studio all of these appear to be New Hartford guitars. Pretty much 10 years after this '96 we've been discussing. Were there Studios made in Il. that left the shop with other than the Wilkinson wrap bridge?

28 minutes ago, Hbom said:

Good to know. But other than the FB and maybe that Studio all of these appear to be New Hartford guitars. Pretty much 10 years after this '96 we've been discussing. Were there Studios made in Il. that left the shop with other than the Wilkinson wrap bridge?

That I don't know. Certainly not TonePros since I don't think they even existed back then.

Did you use your Dremmel on your Hammer?

Archived